IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New did not know this about algore
from the comments on a bridge story, nother you have seen this before?
Michael Whouley came up with a last-ditch scheme: Send Gore into areas of southern New Hampshire where there was a lot of Bradley support among upscale voters and commuters who worked across the border in Massachusetts. Many of them cast their ballots late in the day after driving home. Gore’s motorcade — candidate, press, Secret Service, and police — could snarl traffic and keep some of the commuters from ever getting to their polling places or even trying to,” Shrum wrote."

Gore was “irate” at the “massive traffic jam” but then “Gore got the point” after Whouley explained that “they’re mostly Bradley voters.”
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Didn't recall that. Doesn't pass the smell test.
Shrum has been wrong about just about everything. http://www.washingto...706.yglesias.html

Clinton and Shrum eventually patched things up to some extent, but Shrum’s relationship with the White House remained tense, leading, eventually, to the pathetic spectacle of the 2000 presidential campaign. Gore, in what even in Shrum’s telling looks like a fit of pique, hired Shrum, the major Democratic consultant least associated with Clinton, to run his campaign and provide him with an independent political profile—even though nothing in Gore’s political record suggested the existence of any important substantive disagreements with Clinton’s approach. Next, in a fit of counter-pique, Clinton’s political advisers embarked on a program of consistently trashing the Gore campaign every time it deviated from the political formula of 1996, and Shrum countered by declining to see any political upside whatsoever to Clinton’s high job approval ratings and the general atmosphere of peace and prosperity. So consumed is Shrum by the quest for vindication in his struggles with Clinton’s political team that he manages to recount the 2000 campaign without bothering to discuss Ralph Nader.

Polling:
November: http://www.dartmouth.../nov99/poll1.html
Gore: 48, Bradley: 41

January: http://partners.nyti...dem-polls-nh.html
(Lots of scatter, but Gore was leading in 7, Bradley was ahead in 2.

Results:
http://en.wikipedia....emocratic_results

Al Gore -- 76,897 -- 50%
Bill Bradley -- 70,502 -- 46%

Contemporary reporting: http://www.abc.net.a...tories/s96695.htm

Primary looms as test for US presidential candidates

PM Archive - Monday, 31 January , 2000 00:00:00

Reporter: Agnes Cusack

COMPERE: And in the United States, once dubbed "the Great Satan" by Iran's Ayatollahs, they're on the campaign trail too. Presidential hopefuls have little more than a day of campaigning left in the hope of winning the nation's first primary, New Hampshire.

Correspondent Agnes Cusack reports.

AGNES CUSACK: It's not hard to tell where Democrat Al Gore is campaigning in New Hampshire. The lengthy Vice-Presidential motorcade, that includes an ambulance, stops traffic for miles in this New England State of small towns.

Its campaign management is slick. Media adviser's bark commands and produce rope to coral journalists, keeping them well away from Mr Gore as he presses the flesh in his bid to become President in the year 2000. But while Mr Gore's minders do a good job of controlling what appears on TV news reports, they're powerless to manage attacks from Democratic rival Bill Bradley.

[...]

Mr Bradley, who's been slipping behind the polls in New Hampshire, is out to sway women voters. Latest polls give Mr Gore a seven point lead over Mr Bradley. Two days ago the Vice President led by 11 points. The New Hampshire Primary is still a day and a half away. Mr Bradley's predicting he'll win the primary and is hammering at Mr Gore's honesty and trustworthiness, especially on the issue of campaign finance reform. He says Bill Bradley is the only Democrat who could win the Presidency from Republican Texas Governor, George W. Bush.

The primary was the next day - February 1.

I haven't been able to find any contemporaneous news stories about a traffic jamb on election day.

tldr; Gore was creating traffic jambs before the election. Bradley was slipping in the polls before the election. Shrum's been wrong about just about everything.

How Dave Weigel thinks this is relevant to Christie's shutting down the busiest bridge in the world for 4 days is beyond me.

YMMV.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Don't bite
Their guy is caught red-handed. *Someone* had to break out "their guy did it too". And every minute spent defending Gore is a minute not spent talking about Christie.

Don't take the bait.
--

Drew
New Not sure it matters...
currently the best they come up with (that I've seen) is to compare Christie to Obama.

From Bengazi to whatever, they're scrambling.

And then I note: didn't we demand Obama to turn over his records? They're asking Christie to turn over the rest of the emails.
New thank, I hadn't recalled anything and figured you would know
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
     did not know this about algore - (boxley) - (4)
         Didn't recall that. Doesn't pass the smell test. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Don't bite - (drook) - (1)
                 Not sure it matters... - (S1mon_Jester)
             thank, I hadn't recalled anything and figured you would know -NT - (boxley)

This is gonna blow up - like a coeliac at a bread festival.
71 ms