IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Linus probably doesn't care much about Linux on PCs eith
It's pure speculation that the motivation for Secure Boot was to protect Windows market share.

Given that the biggest threat to Windows is, well, (old versions of) Windows - i.e. inertia - and given that old versions of Windows don't really run too well, if at all, on modern PCs (finally, at last, thank fuck for that, driver support for XP is falling off a cliff) - protect it against what, precisely?

Apple since 2000 is a once-in-a-lifetime company. You cannot help but be impressed - but I'm not sure that in the wider context it's healthy for the industry (or the economy) for a company to be sitting on that much cash.
New Re: Linus probably doesn't care much about Linux on PCs eith
1) Agreed. I've got no special knowledge.

2) Dunno. MS (and Intel) could have used an open process for Secure Boot that Linux distros could have participated in as an equal (without paying huge fees or having a process that is prohibitively expensive - http://www.zdnet.com...-and-fedora/11187 ). It wouldn't have made it less secure (probably would have made it more secure). They didn't.

3) Agreed. Every company should be forbidden from having huge war chests like that. And their profits should be taxed sensibly. And management and director pay should be limited to some reasonable multiple of minimum/average employee pay. And... But those thing aren't going to happen with a Republican House.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Google -vs- Beast ... exchanging Exchange expeditiously - (Ashton) - (31)
         Good luck to them - (scoenye) - (30)
             Zooks! :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
             That tells me that Group security was patched-on. - (static) - (28)
                 There never was a plan, but they're not the only ones... - (scoenye) - (27)
                     Horrorshow. :-( Thanks for that last sentence! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     I think Google has a love-hate relationship with corporates. - (static) - (2)
                         I have 8 personal GMails and 1 work - (malraux)
                         Yep - (pwhysall)
                     Fascinating + Confusing.. that's fun--but only at parties. - (Ashton) - (22)
                         Close - (drook) - (18)
                             Shorter is better :-) -NT - (boxley)
                             Not just MS. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                 ARM the CPU architecture? - (drook) - (4)
                                     It's where all the growth is, and no MS tax. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Neat, hadn't heard about that - (drook)
                                     Re: ARM the CPU architecture? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         Seems like MS doesn't care even if you do. - (crazy)
                                 I think your argument is from ten years ago. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                     ..__--oo000oo--__.. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                         MS really, really don't care about Linux on PCs - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                             Linus probably doesn't care much about Linux on PCs either. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 Re: Linus probably doesn't care much about Linux on PCs eith - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                     Re: Linus probably doesn't care much about Linux on PCs eith - (Another Scott)
                             Ah I C: takes lots fewer words when you already know several - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 No special insight here - (drook) - (3)
                                     That's a useful start, but.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Oh, I don't *believe* what they say - (drook)
                                     Great description of what I (try to) do - (drook)
                         Re: Fascinating + Confusing.. that's fun--but only at partie - (scoenye) - (2)
                             Rofl. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Hey! that's a Good error message.. - (Ashton)

We know better than to wear plaid and stripes together.
83 ms