IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "The World's End"
From the team that previously produced Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz comes this tale of an epic pub crawl: five droogs (four more-or-less productive members of society; one charismatic unredeemed alcoholic), twelve pubs along the "Golden Mile" in a soulless English suburb. Starts out like a comedy, begins to look like a bromance, turns into Invasion of the Body Snatchers about halfway through, except that none of the human principals in any of the pod people flicks were falling-down drunk. Highly amusing, although I suspect that as a rude colonial I was deaf to the whooshing sound made by certain cultural signifiers as they streaked by overhead. The coda was a little lame, and could have been shortened, but at the end I was well-pleased as I clicked the remote control. Perhaps best of all, the closing credits featured a ditty I'd heard on the radio about a quarter of a century ago, had assumed at the time to be the work of David Bowie, made desultory attempts to track down, and never identified. Turns out to have been "This Corrosion" by the Sisters of Mercy, which I have playing on iTunes even as I post. I readily acknowledge that this story marks me as tragically unhip, but I am sixty-one, and solicit the indulgence that youth ought properly to extend to the senescent.

And the flick is worth catching.

cordially,
New netflix ip or other?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
Expand Edited by boxley Jan. 3, 2014, 10:59:12 PM EST
New Re: "The World's End"
I love The Cornetto Trilogy.

And yes, there are a LOT of sly cultural references that you'll need to be a Britisher of a certain age (i.e. about 40) to get.
New Seconded.
Just watched on Netflix with the wife last night. As the movie started, I had no idea what it was about. I think that's the best way to watch it. As it started, I expected it to be a story about a bunch of old farts (like myself) attempting to relive some of their mispent youth. The part you alluded to (Body Snatchers) was a complete surprise and all the more funny as a consequence.
New I don't see it on Netflix
I wonder if they show different results to different customers.
--

Drew
New I suspect the internet in your part of Cleveland...
is controlled by the North Koreans. :)

Or, an ISP who does not believe in Net Neutrality.
Alex
New Found it available on disk, not for streaming
--

Drew
New My bad. Sorry. Wife rented it via Amazon Prime.
New Hey, I've got Prime
Got it for the free shipping, got to remember to cancel it before the 30 days are up.
--

Drew
New Re: "The World's End"
I saw this one at the theater this summer. I liked it well enough, but I like Hot Fuzz better.
New "Shaun of the Dead" is better IMO
--

Drew
     "The World's End" - (rcareaga) - (10)
         netflix ip or other? -NT - (boxley)
         Re: "The World's End" - (pwhysall)
         Seconded. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
             I don't see it on Netflix - (drook) - (4)
                 I suspect the internet in your part of Cleveland... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Found it available on disk, not for streaming -NT - (drook)
                 My bad. Sorry. Wife rented it via Amazon Prime. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Hey, I've got Prime - (drook)
         Re: "The World's End" - (gcareaga) - (1)
             "Shaun of the Dead" is better IMO -NT - (drook)

Yes to oranges! Grapefruit FORBIDDEN!
92 ms