IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Good point. But...
The folks hoovering up all the information are (unless they're governments) are trying to figure out a way to make money with it in a reasonably short period of time. That usually means, for the moment, getting the information to advertisers who figure that they can somehow make us buy something if only they know more about us...

People yelling online about the atheist muslim Kenyan usurper aren't a big demographic, I don't think. I don't see ads for power chairs and cruises and vacations in Davos and so forth in places I frequent that talk politics. Glenn Beck's big advertiser seemed to be GoldLine (and gold has tanked recently, so I assume they're lying low). Advertising still seems targeted to get people to buy stuff (or contribute during election seasons).

Online arguing is small beer compared to being a party insider and a big donor. I don't think the Koch Brothers would bother, unless it was to throw a few pennies around to try to reward the true believers in the trenches. They want to use their money to install people who will vote the way they want, not to win online arguments. People arguing online are usually already in a camp.

How would we know? Given the lack of disclosure these days, I assume the only way would be if someone inside squealed (as in Folkenflik's book on Murdoch's empire).

But we'll see. :-)

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Think you're right about the Kochs
and maybe many others--they live for more Power thus $$ and care little about hearts/minds.
But some billionaires do make noises that suggest they Can think/act long-term (especially for having seen how Ronnie's homilies galvanized then and in successive generations)

After Power.. and gold-plated toilets, what's next? Immortality. er, Win.. Big!
I do 'worry' about these surplus-billions (Rmoney spent a pittance of his absconded Net Worth for that try..)
We are on the verge of highly-automated transmutations from 'data' to tests of algorithms for persuasion; increasing (finally useful) brain comprehension is happening.

As 1984 was a 'Tocsin' for (one assortment of predictable dangers, synthesized half a century ago) I think we had better pay Attention to: the now inchoate
Means.. (and Ends) looming. Some people Will Be paying that attention/with more $B to implement--than were dreamt of in our popular ..aging dystopian works.

Bread and Circuses 2020 style? it's not that far away.
(Maybe we'll both 'See' ?)

Ed: oTyp

Expand Edited by Ashton Jan. 3, 2014, 01:05:06 AM EST
     For those who deem it a duty to talk to RWNJs - (Ashton) - (22)
         Re: For those who deem it a duty to talk to RWNJs - (pwhysall) - (11)
             Thanks. - (Ashton) - (10)
                 Re: Thanks. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                     Wretched.. that the homogenization (all issues) has spread - (Ashton) - (8)
                         I am less pessimistic - (pwhysall) - (6)
                             Do you have periodic "redistricting" to scramble the deck? - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 Not really - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     That map is entirely too reasonable -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                         Same thing happens in Oz, too. - (static)
                                 ya ever stop to think that it is anger at party in power - (boxley) - (1)
                                     It wasn't one thing. - (Another Scott)
                         Also, on the subject of The Right In Britain - (pwhysall)
         A microscopic fraction of people are paid for comments. - (Another Scott) - (9)
             Re: If logic and evidence could convince people, ... - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                 I blame the wimmens. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     Yup, it's the women. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         What are they guarding it *from*? - (drook) - (1)
                             Yup, you got it. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 I always preferred Yates' formulation of that: - (jake123)
             Proving a negative.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Good point. But... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Think you're right about the Kochs - (Ashton)

One. Two. Three. Ah, ha ha ha ha ha!
186 ms