IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Flash drive shenanigans.
I've got a small (2Gb) USB flash drive that has a slightly peculiar problem: OS X can't read it's file system, yet all other PCs I poke it into can. Windows, Linux, Android - all can read it just fine. OS X cannot.

This has been a problem from time to time with a friend's laptop as she has a Macbook Air. It was recently slightly more annoying with my own work laptop which is a Macbook Pro.

Then I figured out what's wrong.

When I first bought the flash drive, I put a 1Gb Ubuntu boot image on it. This was used to install Ubuntu to a netbook that had no optical drive. Once this was done, I wanted it to be 2Gb again; which meant recreating the partitions and reformatting. But I used partition #1 and I've heard that most flash drives use partition #4. I suspect this is why OS X is unhappy with my flash drive.

Anyone else seen this? It is extremely difficult to search for on the googles. I know the fix, of course, I just wanted to talk about it with someone.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Or it may not want a partition table
It is also valid to start the file system at sector 0, without any MBR, partition table, etc. It would be a bit bizarre for Apple to require that, though...

I have a flash drive with and one without partition table but the only Macintoshes I can lay my hands on right now are of the edible variety. I'll drag the sticks to work and see what happens there.

New That wasn't it - it liked them both.
New One day I'll let OS X "fix it".
This will require I copy everything off it first on to another PC, of course.

Maybe there's something ogly I did with the mkfs, then if the partition table isn't hokey.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     Flash drive shenanigans. - (static) - (3)
         Or it may not want a partition table - (scoenye) - (2)
             That wasn't it - it liked them both. -NT - (scoenye) - (1)
                 One day I'll let OS X "fix it". - (static)

May cause dizziness, rash, diarrhea, difficulty in breathing, loss of consciousness, extreme pain, bloody stools, flaccidity, amputation, blindness, suicidal thoughts, insanity, lesions, boils, bubonic plague, anal warts, vomiting up toads and lizards, violent convulsions, death, and likely poltergeist activity.
36 ms