IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Land's End
I was first exposed to "Oxford cloth" shirts in 1968. Two of these were purchased for me, and I wore them until each were literally threadbare in the early 1970s. For most of the eighties and nineties I favored canvas shirts, but rediscovered Oxford cloth about twenty years ago, and took to ordering these from "Land's End" in Wisconsin. Hmmm. Does the land end in Wisconsin? Not a coastal state last time I looked. Anyway, Sears purchased LE a while back, and for the first few years there were no discernible changes. Now, alas, the prices per shirt have gone way up and the durability of the fabric way down: shirts I have ordered under the new regime have begun to disintegrate after half a dozen trips to the commercial laundry.

Fortunately I took advantage, before the beancounters' agenda had entirely compromised LE's quality control, to order about four dozen shirts at a sale price back when these were still woven from durable cotton. Over half of these remain packaged, with the rest being swapped in as venerable samples gradually become too shabby for use at work. I'm happy to think that, the most recent purchases having all disintegrated by now, my older purchases will likely see me halfway to retirement and my newer and unpackaged Oxfords will maintain my dignity as DHS ordains stricter dress standards for its affiliated organs in the Santorum Administration beginning in 2017.

A damn shame, though, that Land's End, which used to sell decent clothing, now attaches the firm name to shoddy, sleazy, overpriced shit.

cordially,
New It's the way of the world. :-(
Bought any T-shirts (undershirts) recently? It's the same thing.

I "had" to buy my last ones from Nordstrom as I was so sick of Hanes and FotL and the like shrinking 2 sizes or disintegrating after a few washings.

If one is willing to pay 2-5x what one thinks one "should", one can still get good quality. Otherwise, well, someone is making a lot of money on the sale, and it's not the US (or Bangladeshi) workers.

:-(

Smart of you to plan ahead!

Cheers,
Scott.
New There's been a price crash on quite a lot of things.
One of Australia's lower priced department stores now sources quite a lot of clothes that it can sell for a pittance. It was such a price drop they could use astonished shoppers for their ad campaign!

However, quality has suffered. Second-hand clothing store ("op shops") are finding people are donating used clothing that is now almost literally falling apart instead of garments that still have a decent amount of years still in them.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New anymore I buy that stuff no name at fleamarkets
much better quality, source central and south america
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New just purchased a new pair of redwing hiking boots
last pair I had I found in a dumpster and wore them for 20 plus years. The new ones are no longer repaired free for life and are made in China. The comfort is still there and at -30F in Fargo recently my feet never got cold, and I never have sweat in them in Georgia. So far still good.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Hadn't realized that Sears bought Lands End
but recall reading about the CIEIO, a poster-boy for sociopathic capitalism. As our race-->bottom seems now a mere 50 Yd dash, quality is dying first.

Formerly I would periodically indulge purchase of a Pendleton wool robe; spend a fair time in one--an extra-layer against raising the thermostat. The retired one served as work-coat outside, whatever hole in elbows/frayed cuffs. Then the tariff passed a C-note. And the 'wool' had become thinner..

Fortunately a friend/eagle-eyed denizen of Goodwill and others, spied a Real-WOOL robe, as in Hefty to pick up. 'Ladies Large'. No matter.. maybe extra chest room? Tried it on, said Want! Love. It. Washes-up pristine with Woolite. Have to keep this one alive, as quality oozes away..
Unclear if we shall be able to buy this quality again, except at greed-priced tags.. Eons ago in some variant of Roger Price's Avoidism opera (his take on Consumerdom and related) came this koan:

If everyone doesn't want it--nobody gets it.

Believe we're There.
(Walmart bets you want rilly-cheap and is obscenely rich for winning the bet.) All marketers are sheep following trends.

Baa Baa, have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, polyester-wool: it's Better, Sir.
New Yep, they've gone "down the tubes".
My wife had 3 LE ladies Oxford shirts for many years. She felt like she was extravagant and needed prodding from me to get them. They were great, but over time, one got a rip and another got bleach splashed on it. Anyway, I got her to buy 3 similar ones recently. They were more expensive and quality is just not there.

Likewise, online, she bought a pair of boots and a pair of shoes. Same size. One fit and one was way too tight. Fortunately, as returns, one can take them to Sears.

Incidentally, it is rumored that Sears Holding (which is also K-Mart) is getting ready to IPO or spin off Lands End. Eddy Lampert, the top dog, may be a money guy he's but no retailer.

LL Bean may be a better bet, China manufacturing notwithstanding. But, we don't get that much from them to be good judges.
Alex
New LL Bean
Now that you mention it, I did order a few canvas shirts recently from LL Bean, and these do appear to be of decent materials and workmanship, although I'll reserve final judgment until a few laundry cycles have passed.

cordially,
New Re: "Land's End"
Not all large bodies of water are salt, California boy. ;-)
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Sing him the balad of the Edmond Fitzgerald!
https://www.youtube....tch?v=hgI8bta-7aw
Alex
New Yabut.. the quintessential 'Lands End', historically
is one point (the other being John O'Groats (sp?) in Scotland)--marking reputedly the longest trek (without excursions) across Old Blighty.
And that place is ensconced within the saline-variety: so There!
Weunses in Calif. gots lakes too--Tahoe anyone? (And some of our Seas are even dry.)

I know this factoid only because, in the '50s: a Vincent was run to 100K miles, an effort to show that it needed no major engine repairs within that 'first 100K'. It was true--almost.
One of the inner valve-springs broke in final miles (there are two, concentric). But because of the fork-like valve-lifter design, which works on a hardened collar midway on the valve stem:
it was easy to replace this trivial part without pulling heads/disturbing the carbon--as would be 'dismantling', and a FAIL.

A frequent 'run' just putting on miles: was 'twixt these loci. Boring stuff, inside a 4-wheel box--but it rains there and..
Brits, in the day, made the world's very best foul-weather riding gear. Win/win.
New Lake Tahoe is a puddle
The combined two lakes bordered by Wisconsin are nearly as half as big as Great Britain by area.
Regards,
-scott
Expand Edited by malraux Dec. 27, 2013, 05:27:44 PM EST
New Russkies overshadow both locales: largest clean-water Lake
by volume. Which surely counts >> than area?
(And 'purest'.. as seems not to accord with a generally poor budget for environmental issues.)
Then there's Ours--Repos determined next to kill as many enviro protections as they can, fucking Vandals.

Lake Baikal is the most voluminous freshwater lake in the world, containing roughly 20% of the world's unfrozen surface fresh water,[4][5] and at 1,642 m (5,387 ft),[1] the deepest.[6] It is also among the clearest[7] of all lakes, and thought to be the world's oldest lake[8] at 25 million years.[9] It is the 7th largest lake in the world by surface area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Baikal

New Yep, that's a big one too
Regards,
-scott
New Land's End and John O'Groats...
..are both depressing, tawdry, cheap-and-nasty tourist traps.

JOG is cheaperer and nastierer than LE, but still.

If you come to the correct side of the water, leave these two places off your itinerary.

Street View:

http://goo.gl/maps/0FxXH
http://goo.gl/maps/iyBj3
New Fascinating.. we are Sooo jaded.
Tawdry perhaps?--but the cleanest/neatest tawdry (via any comparison of tawdry..) here in the dis-US.

I mean I Mean: re jaded.. the Vincent stuff was half a fucking-Century ago! and the thought then, of typing a few cryptic alphanumerics and ...
Seeing a sharp pic of Some Random Place?
B O G G L E !!!

Well, anyway--when the poor sods got to Either terminus back then, maybe in pouring rain, probably all they needed was a cuppa/a pint wouldn't do/driving, ya see.
Then start back. Put on more miles..

Maybe it is the fate of any professionally-Happy-Happy holiday place? (exactly like the 'Howstrake Holiday Camp' on I.O.M, where I stayed/camped o'nite before the T.T.)
Yes it was ruggedly-minimalist but we yout can sleep Anywhere and: I was ON The Isle of Man! so I thought Howstrake was just the-(cheap-enough)-Ticket.
Here or Blighty--they never seem to make enough profits/put enough cash in budget? to keep things looking like.. well, every of your pics of those utterly-perfect,
manicured open spaces near {{envy}} your domicile.

We become discriminating only after.. they start paying us enough to have disposable income--am I Right, Sir?

Cheers,
It's 29°F outside--but I can see all the stars!
New if I was giving travel advice to kewl uk destinations
visit the crown jewels and contemplate how to pinch the huntress diana piece. Landridnod wells, and Bainborough castle with a visit to whar land as well, but I am a provincial
New A hike up Mam Tor in Pennines.. for necessary exercise..
See the walking-shadow of Sir Thomas Beecham at the Philharmonic (sitting--in his umpty-umph years--while conducting..)
<cancelled> due to cancellation of Sir Thomas.

Eat One Wimpyburger--to verify that One is enough for liff.
Dine at one Posh restaurant: to prove that Yes, Brits Can prepare sumptuous/despite any Vegemite-caused hallucinations elsewhere.
Take boat to Isle of Man.. even sans the motorcycles/T.T. Get out of fine Douglas and See the stone walls, etc.
O'nite in Harwich before ferry to Denmark: have World's Best ham with that AM egg (from Denmark; or was I just lucky?)

Lots to do on the Sceptered..
New I'm going to photograph waterfalls today
Thomason Foss near Beck Hole, and if that proves inaccessible (we've had a lot of high winds, trees might be down) then it's on to Falling Foss near Littlebeck.

Shame that the Midge Hall tearooms at the latter will be closed, though.
     Land's End - (rcareaga) - (18)
         It's the way of the world. :-( - (Another Scott) - (2)
             There's been a price crash on quite a lot of things. - (static)
             anymore I buy that stuff no name at fleamarkets - (boxley)
         just purchased a new pair of redwing hiking boots - (boxley)
         Hadn't realized that Sears bought Lands End - (Ashton)
         Yep, they've gone "down the tubes". - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             LL Bean - (rcareaga)
         Re: "Land's End" - (malraux) - (10)
             Sing him the balad of the Edmond Fitzgerald! - (a6l6e6x)
             Yabut.. the quintessential 'Lands End', historically - (Ashton) - (8)
                 Lake Tahoe is a puddle - (malraux) - (2)
                     Russkies overshadow both locales: largest clean-water Lake - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Yep, that's a big one too -NT - (malraux)
                 Land's End and John O'Groats... - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     Fascinating.. we are Sooo jaded. - (Ashton)
                     if I was giving travel advice to kewl uk destinations - (boxley) - (2)
                         A hike up Mam Tor in Pennines.. for necessary exercise.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                             I'm going to photograph waterfalls today - (pwhysall)

Cococabanana Blaps - It's not just for breakfast anymore!
349 ms