IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That is the one issue.
That is the issue here.

We have the previous previous version of Numbers and Pages. Neither one of the new versions can open "2 versions ago" documents or spreadsheets.

But, they do have the previous version available to "open with" so you can cut and paste.

No other problems. Except, to get Mavericks, you have to have an AppleID. I reactivated my 2007 ID and it downloaded and updated the OS, without any problem.

I have Mavericks on all my Macs (iMac 'late 2007', Mac Mini 'Mid 2012', Macbook 'Early 2008', MacBook Pro 'late 2012', MacBookPro 'Late 2013'), except the hackintosh... which isn't 64bit and can't run it.

It actually is very nice and walls in the garden a bit more... but the workarounds that existed before that were kind of enabled by default, are now not enabled by default. This is good for the general health of machines and protection from idiot users from themselves. Still not a problem for those that wish to take thing into their own hands.

Forgot, on older machines... (like the 2008 and 2007) you will need to max out the memory. I had to put 4GB in my iMac and 4GB in the Macbook. Otherwise, they sometimes seemed a bit sluggish.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
Collapse Edited by folkert Dec. 20, 2013, 10:54:19 AM EST
That is the one issue.
That is the issue here.

We have the previous previous version of Numbers and Pages. Neither one of the new versions can open "2 versions ago" documents or spreadsheets.

But, they do have the previous version available to "open with" so you can cut and paste.

No other problems. Except, to get Mavericks, you have to have an AppleID. I reactivated my 2007 ID and it downloaded and updated the OS, without any problem.

I have Mavericks on all my Macs (iMac 'late 2007', Mac Mini 'Mid 2012', Macbook 'Early 2008', MacBook Pro 'late 2012', MacBookPro 'Late 2013'), except the hackintosh... which isn't 64bit and can't run it.

It actually is very nice and walls in the garden a bit more... but the workarounds that existed before that were kind of enabled by default, are now not enabled by default. This is good for the general health of machines and protection from idiot users from themselves. Still not a problem for those that wish to take thing into their own hands.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Thanks for the details.
Apple's seeming penchant for dumbing down and changing their software for seemingly bad reasons (witness the screaming about Final Cut Pro X) gives me pause.

Breaking backward file compatibility is a very bad red flag. :-(

See the last comment here - https://discussions....?start=0&tstart=0

:-/

It makes me think that keeping current with LibreOffice on Win, Linux, and Mac is a good idea. YMMV.

http://ask.libreoffi...mbers-to-lo-calc/

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Scott.

New I'm hearing...
...that the new versions of Pages/Numbers/Etc silently upgrade your documents to the latest version, and the old versions of software cannot read these upgraded documents.

Is that correct? I have friends/family asking about Mavericks, and it's not on my radar these days.
New No 100% sure...
Since I have the 2 versions ago... the new version will not read those... nor write to any of the older versions, period. So if you *DO* open the file from "last version" and save... can only be opened by the new version since there is no option to "save as" an older version.

They probably justify this as: Mavericks is free and includes newer versions for previous installations

I don't know if the new versions of "iWorks" pages/numbers/etc are free for machines unable to run Mavericks. As I never checked before I updated to Mavericks.

After some checking... the answer is *NO*... you have to be running Mavericks to get the newest stuff. http://www.apple.com/mac/pages/ at the bottom goes to: http://www.apple.com...s/mac/up-to-date/ and apparently, if you've ever installed/purchased them before (like I did from DVD) you are eligible once on Mavericks. I also believe the "dates" are bogus, as I updated well after those dates.

Kind of a crappy thing to me. But hey, what ever works.

The other thing they have done, is change the interface to make it similar to the iPad/etc versions. But since the wife likes the new version better... it is fine with me as I use LibreOffice for everything.

####
After plunking around... it will not *SAVE* the originaly odcs in the old format, but will "Export To" PDF, Word, Plain text, ePub and Pages '09...

This means it SUCKS... then you have to have 2 or 3 or more versions of the same doc floating around. Meh.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
Expand Edited by folkert Dec. 20, 2013, 12:44:02 PM EST
New Ta.
Sounds like entirely too much farting around. I'll point them at Office, if they ask.

Irrespective of anything else, Office is good with backwards compatibility.
New Another issue.
Another issue is the treatment of Java apps. They have tightened up when and how they get fired up. By default they will not run Java apps that did not come from the App Store. Even if you change that to accept Java from anywhere it's hit or miss and often miss.

My broker has a non-App Store Java app that downloads, verifies, and starts another Java app. Well, part two of that fails most of the time. That's a major PITA. That app lets me see the Level-2 market orders, i.e. those orders that are the same or lower then the current "bid" and same or higher price as the current "asked" along with number of shares. So you can see the "depth" of the market for a stock. Given that I always use limit orders, it helps me to see all this in setting my prices.

Of course running Java apps from anywhere has its own exposures.
Alex
     Anyone done Mavericks yet? - (Ashton) - (15)
         Not here. - (Another Scott)
         I have it - (Bman)
         Yep. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
             That is the one issue. - (folkert) - (5)
                 Thanks for the details. - (Another Scott)
                 I'm hearing... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     No 100% sure... - (folkert) - (1)
                         Ta. - (pwhysall)
                 Another issue. - (a6l6e6x)
         Speaking of update... - (folkert) - (2)
             Re: Speaking of update... - (Bman) - (1)
                 Re: Did it. - (a6l6e6x)
         Thanks all.. helpful. Mav. still seems ~ beta+ - (Ashton) - (2)
             Uh... not really, 10.9.0 was nearly error free. - (folkert) - (1)
                 OK.. thanks. Maybe in Jan. then. -NT - (Ashton)

Let's face it: you can't Torquemada anything!
112 ms