So I got a Canon EOS 6D a while back. It's a great camera. It handles really well and has better image quality than the 5D3.

I only got one lens with it, though - a 17-40mm ultrawide. This is my go-to landscape lens. Super quality, weatherproof, sharp as you like. But not a massive amount of use as a walkabout.

I've also got a 50mm prime, which is useful - its wide f/1.8 maximum aperture means that, in conjunction with the ability of the 6D to produce useable images at outrageously high ISO (12800, anyone? No? What about 25600?), it's great for indoor shooting without flash.

But it's not a landscape lens. I wanted something with a bit more reach, without the optical compromises that would come from a long zoom that I can afford.

So I bought a second-hand 28-135mm image-stabilised Canon lens. It's not weathersealed, and it's not as well-made as the 17-40, but then it did cost much less than half what the 17-40 did. It's a good bit of glass; hand-held, the IS makes the entire zoom range useable at slower shutter speeds than seems reasonable. The AF is fast and quiet (in stark contrast to the nifty fifty, which sounds like a tractor).

But yeah. Primes. They're great. I wanted a slightly wider prime. 35mm is a bit too wide; but Canon make this little lens which people call the "pancake". It's 40mm and opens up to f/2.8 - not as much as the fifty, but more than my other glass - and it's tiny. Seriously, it's shorter than a Canon extension tube. And it's great. Optical quality is what you'd expect from a wonderfully simple prime, and best of all it's got an stepping AF motor, which sounds like a robot from the future. (A quiet one)

And what about that flash? My 550D (now sold) had a built-in flash, but the 6D (in common with all Canon's full-frame DSLRs) doesn't. Flash is something I've never had cause to learn about, but it's a huge hole in my photographic repertoire. Enter the Canon Speedlite 430EX II. Not really much to say about this, because I know the square root of fuck-all about flash photography, other than that it's big, bright, the head swivels all around, and it has a handy-dandy bag to store it in.

Last of all - and this is something I'd recommend to anyone who carries a camera around, be it a £100 compact or a monstrous gripped DSLR - I've got a Black Rapid strap. Attaches to the tripod thread on the base of the camera, and is cleverly designed so that the camera magically just falls onto your hip when you're not using it. It's not cheap - £47 - but worth every penny. It also doesn't have "CANON EOS 6D PLEASE STEAL MY CAMERA" embroidered on it, like the strap that comes with any Canon camera.