IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Noam Chomsky: America hates its poor
http://www.salon.com...its_poor_partner/

Noam Chomsky: America hates its poor
Linguist and philosopher Noam Chomsky on our country's brutal class war -- and why it's ultimately so one-sided

CHRIS STEELE, ZUCCOTTI PARK PRESS

This is an excerpt from the just released second edition of Noam Chomsky’s “Occupy: Class War, Rebellion and Solidarity,” edited by Greg Ruggiero and published by Zuccotti Park Press.

An article that recently came out in Rolling Stone, titled “Gangster Bankers: Too Big to Jail,” by Matt Taibbi, asserts that the government is afraid to prosecute powerful bankers, such as those running HSBC. Taibbi says that there’s “an arrestable class and an unarrestable class.” What is your view on the current state of class war in the U.S.?

Well, there’s always a class war going on. The United States, to an unusual extent, is a business-run society, more so than others. The business classes are very class-conscious—they’re constantly fighting a bitter class war to improve their power and diminish opposition. Occasionally this is recognized.

We don’t use the term “working class” here because it’s a taboo term. You’re supposed to say “middle class,” because it helps diminish the understanding that there’s a class war going on.

It’s true that there was a one-sided class war, and that’s because the other side hadn’t chosen to participate, so the union leadership had for years pursued a policy of making a compact with the corporations, in which their workers, say the autoworkers—would get certain benefits like fairly decent wages, health benefits and so on. But it wouldn’t engage the general class structure. In fact, that’s one of the reasons why Canada has a national health program and the United States doesn’t. The same unions on the other side of the border were calling for health care for everybody. Here they were calling for health care for themselves and they got it. Of course, it’s a compact with corporations that the corporations can break anytime they want, and by the 1970s they were planning to break it and we’ve seen what has happened since.

This is just one part of a long and continuing class war against working people and the poor. It’s a war that is conducted by a highly class-conscious business leadership, and it’s one of the reasons for the unusual history of the U.S. labor movement. In the U.S., organized labor has been repeatedly and extensively crushed, and has endured a very violent history as compared with other countries.

[. . .]

He goes on to expand "the tragedy of the commons", in perspective..
This is his 2nd Edition of Occupy: Class War, Rebellion and Solidarity. His views of the probability of Muricans acting on (material such as he presents) is hardly sanguine) [h.t.f. Could it be?]
But he is consistent in searching for the historical roots of most of our current national Insanities:

Now, how does that relate to the environmental problem? Very significantly: the commons are the environment. When they’re a common possession—not owned, but everybody holds them together in a community—they’re preserved, sustained and cultivated for the next generation. If they’re privately owned, they’re going to be destroyed for profit; that’s what private owner- ship is, and that’s exactly what’s happening today.

What you say about the indigenous population is very striking. There’s a major problem that the whole species is facing. A likelihood of serious disaster may be not far off. We are approaching a kind of tipping point, where climate change becomes irreversible. It could be a couple of decades, maybe less, but the predictions are constantly being shown to be too conservative. It is a very serious danger; no sane person can doubt it. The whole species is facing a real threat for the first time in its history of serious disaster, and there are some people trying to do some- thing about it and there are others trying to make it worse. Who are they? Well, the ones who are trying to make it better are the pre-industrial societies, the pre-technological societies, the indigenous societies, the First Nations. All around the world, these are the communities that are trying to preserve the rights of nature.

The rich societies, like the United States and Canada, are acting in ways to bring about disaster as quickly as possible. That’s what it means, for example, when both political parties and the press talk enthusiastically about “a century of energy independence.” “Energy independence” doesn’t mean a damn thing, but put that aside. A century of “energy independence” means that we make sure that every bit of Earth’s fossil fuels comes out of the ground and we burn it. In societies that have large indigenous populations, like, for example, Ecuador, an oil producer, people are trying to get support for keeping the oil in the ground. They want funding so as to keep the oil where it ought to be. We, however, have to get everything out of the ground, including tar sands, then burn it, which makes things as bad as possible as quickly as possible. So you have this odd situation where the educated, “advanced” civilized people are trying to cut everyone’s throats as quickly as possible and the indigenous, less educated, poorer populations are trying to prevent the disaster. If somebody was watching this from Mars, they’d think this species was insane.

[. . .]

(Added bold--last sentence.)
I'll second that summary. Credentialed-shrinks rarely come very close to fixing the looniest--even in studied, individual cases; 'fix' Millions?
(Perhaps we should not even talk about matters which only a handful have the slightest interest in actively repairing.) Ruins all the fun-distractions as we wait for the-other-shoe-to-drop.
New it also doesnt really like Noam Chomsky :-)
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New ..nor any other form of truthiness/embarrassment.
New Yep, the pinko, commie bastard! :)
Alex
New naw because he is a cranky old fart...wait a minute!
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New And I didn't even say...
"Jew bastard" which would clinch it for some folks.

[edit] Brain fart! Had visualized the wrong guy. It was Seymour Papert down the hall. [/edit]
Alex
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Dec. 5, 2013, 11:40:04 AM EST
     Noam Chomsky: America hates its poor - (Ashton) - (5)
         it also doesnt really like Noam Chomsky :-) -NT - (boxley) - (4)
             ..nor any other form of truthiness/embarrassment. -NT - (Ashton)
             Yep, the pinko, commie bastard! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                 naw because he is a cranky old fart...wait a minute! -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     And I didn't even say... - (a6l6e6x)

I asked one of the geostatisticians to look into it.
109 ms