IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Inventing smeggin' swearwords.
Seeing some of the threads waiting in here for me, I was struck by all the standard friggin' words. I mean, it's not like there's anything wrong with them, but they're old. I've seen some english profanity from the 1400s: the words of choice were "schitith" and "ars", taking, of course, ther accustomed meanings.

Modern popular entertainment does provide a few alternatives. For instance, the British TV comedy Red Dwarf provided us with "smeg" and fans may remember "belgium" from the (British, again) radio series "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy". Fantasy novels often have local ones; swearing by particular gods often gets used. David Eddings even manages to make fun of the popular "My God" in one of his novels!

So. I've seen a few inventions here on IWETHEY that have acquired pejorative meaning ("dancing otters") - what else is out there that is just below the radar of the common?

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Here's an atrocity in search of a New swear word:
It is a quote of someone tryin to sound like a Good Ol Boy; someone destined to live in isolation forever - save for paid toadies and other smarmy defectives:

My favourite is "writing hard core C to create slick tight code".
-- Bill Gates

(Courtesy of [link|http://www.radsoft.net/|Radsoft.] Wonder why nobody here thinks Radsoft is worth a look.. these have got to be some of the more useful tools about, when needing to work on toy OS's as *Ahem* so many are forced to do, whatever is runnin at home.. Each one is a marvel of compactness too. But not free.)

So... what despicable New %^#@# phrase could adequately indicate the hubris and balderdash of this philistine remark by Billy?

Ashton
New OT: re Radsoft.
Ashton writes:

[quote was] Courtesy of Radsoft. Wonder why nobody here thinks Radsoft is worth a look.. these have got to be some of the more useful tools about, when needing to work on toy OS's as *Ahem* so many are forced to do, whatever is runnin at home.. Each one is a marvel of compactness too. But not free.

Radsoft's web page is one of the more, um, inscrutable, I've come across. The tools in [link|http://www.radsoft.net/products/info.html|EPT] may be wonderful, but if he's trying to sell stuff he shouldn't make it nearly impossible to find what - specifically - one gets for their $100.

Reminds me of an old ad for advertising in McGraw-Hill publications.

An old, wise manager is saying to someone:

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you do. I don't know how long you've been in business. ... And you want me to buy something from you?"

Why do you like EPT, Ashton?

Thanks.

{added below in edit}

Oh, Ashton, it seems that Radsoft did a bit of a debunking of Steve Gibson's security expertise last year - [link|http://grcsucks.com/unmaskinggibson.htm|Unmasking Steve Gibson] at grcsucks.com.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott May 12, 2002, 11:00:12 PM EDT
New Heh.. aware of the Steve Gibson opposites
The Three Faces of StEve. Even agree that in focussing so much attention on the 'sockets' question in XP, his credibility will suffer Next wolf-call (although.. we might just see some Interesting new DOS-attacks.. any old time someone has the gumption to exploit all those New places - no?) What was that /. bumper sticker (which I'd almost slap on my own bumper, for a time)

My other computer is your IIS server Cackle\ufffd

Whether the "raw sockets" aspect shall play a role or not [??]

Wish you'd send that exact criticism to Rick at Radsoft. In fact I am annoyed that, in his "Gallery" with icons for all the tools - there seems to be nowhere a comprehensive listing of the capabilities - especially in decoding the Names! to correspond with the tool use. I agree that his'marketing' is deficient.

Since I don't exploit most of them, I can't give much of a useful review. It is a fact that most are indeed small in size; some can generate multiple data tables of related arcanery re network performance - in a few 10s of Kbytes. Dunno of one of their utils ever crashing anything of mine or on a friend's small network.

Here's a sample of the doc. for just one of the more useful utils - "Spike"
Spike/Spike7

Spike offers what most sockets bundles do, even adds a few new functions of its own, yet weighs in not at several hundred kilobytes but at only a fraction of that - leaner and meaner by a factor of thirty or more.

Spike is written to integrate into your desktop and your work on the Internet. It fires up and disappears immediately to your system tray. Its appearance can be toggled at any time. It retains its data from appearance to appearance (very important). It does not require copying and pasting from entry field to entry field to get the job done - all functions share the same fields.

And Spike7, a departure from Spike with many additional features, does not even need a bigger shoe.
Multithreaded

Spike is multithreaded, meaning that while it's working for you, you can make it disappear and go on to something else.

All functions have their own output windows, so while you're waiting for an answer for one query you can go about dealing with the data returned from another. Less clicking in vain, more speed.
Verbose Diagnostics

Spike's utilities - and especially its Block, Ping, and Trace functions - offer the most verbose diagnostics found in any sockets bundle on the market today. All possibilities are accounted for and reported on intelligently, where most Windows sockets bundles will simply print "no response". Almost all functions begin with a DNS resolution, and here again Spike reports on exactly what has transpired and does not just report back "host not found".
Raw IPs

Whenever possible Spike works from raw IPs rather than go through the DNS to retrieve the details of your target, saving time and making many more targets accessible.
Local Machine

The basic info returned by the TCP/IP layer when starting up.
Block

Reports on IP "blocks". Starts at any URL or IP and then resolves away, pinging too if you wish, reporting on the "neighbors" and what they're up to.
Chargen (Spike7 Only)

Tickles the remote server's character generator.
Daytime

Not an NTP function but a standard feature of many Internet servers, which send back the time of day as a readable ASCII string, from their corner of the world, as they see it.
DNS

Authoritative domain name service information on either an IP or a URL. Detours around the local hosts cache, unlike many sockets bundles which simply tell you what your local machine already knows (not exactly the point of it all). This and the other Spike functions also work well in a LAN, whereby the type of address returned can vary.
Finger

Takes an email address, or often just a host. When fingering a remote server, try putting an '@' in front of the name if it doesn't work without. Sometimes the email address is only symbolic - finger InterNIC for an example. Availability is always dependent on the remote host. Some implement it to show you who's online, some implement it for other things, some do not implement it at all. But check your own ISP email address and see what's being broadcast about you.
Get (Spike7 Only)

Gets both the HTTP header block (see below) and the target page. Can handle web pages of up to one megabyte (1MB) in size.
Head

Unique to Spike. Gets the HTTP header block from a host, with info on web server software, operating system, the cookies it's going to try to get your browser to eat, and so forth.

Because Spike parses URLs in strict accordance with the RFCs, any port or relative page on a remote server may be used, although port 80 (HTTP) is the default.
Ping

Attempts to access a remote host and reports back with the IP returned by that host and the "round trip time" (Rtt) taken to bounce back. The number of pings, packet size, timeout, and delay are variable.

Spike only makes a ping attempt once, in contrast to many other bundles, where you never know if your remote host was really accessible on the first attempt or not. Part of the idea with a ping is to find out not just if a remote host is accessible, but exactly how accessible it is.
Quote (Spike7 Only)

Finds you a fortune cookie.
Trace

Traces the route to a remote URL or IP. Attempts access to all hops up to three times.

Spike really tells you if you arrive at your destination. If you do arrive, you might not actually recognize the URL reported back, so Spike prints "Arrived" in its far right status window when the trace completes successfully.

Interpreting trace results takes learning: if you're suffering from a slow connection, and a trace shows that one hop is particularly slow, it's not that hop that's the culprit, it's the one before it.
Whois

Tells you who someone is, given a URL, through the auspices of one of a number of Whois servers.

With the new world order as regards the accredited ICANN registrars the number of whois servers world-wide has risen dramatically. The most important of these are still the same.
whois.apnic.net The Asia Pacific Network Information Center.
whois.arin.net The American Registry for Internet Numbers.
whois.crsnic.net The NSI referral server. Information on com, edu, net and org domains.
whois.geektools.com A sophisticated Perl referral script which by using whois.crsnic.net can find almost any registered domain in the world, obfuscated or otherwise.
whois.networksolutions.com NSI after the metamorphosis.
whois.nic.gov The US government network information center.
whois.nic.mil The US DoD network information center.
whois.ripe.net "Reseaux IP Europeens" - the European Network Coordination Centre.
Copy & Paste

All Spike's output windows are context menu sensitive; all clipboard operations render data in a text editor readable format.
Making Life Easier

The RFC specification for a URL looks something like this:
URL = Prefix + "://" + Domain [+ ':' + Port] [+ '/' + RRL] [+ '?' + Query]

Which is all fine and good when you want to access a web page, but not always so good with other ports. Yet you normally won't have to edit your URL at all - again, Spike makes life easier for you. (Spike7 will also function as a generic port scanner precisely because of its URL parsing capabilities.)

Disk image sizes: 13,824 bytes (Spike, Spike7).

Copyright \ufffd 2002 radsoft.net. All rights reserved.
Alas - these descriptions (except too-abbreviated ones) are not all gathered together. Dunno if they are on the site either!

Worth $100? If I were a Pro, I'd think so. Certainly helped me diagnose a few things which I'd otherwise have been clueless about - but then..

Ashton
New Thanks for the info. He actually does have info on his site!
Amazing!

[link|http://www.radsoft.net|http://www.radsoft.net]

Click on the F1 link on the bottom left.

Get a page that says:

You can find out more about the 120+ XPT applications in the Gallery, [...]

(Clicking a link marked "Gallery" isn't what I would normally do to get information about software though...)

Click on the Gallery link and see links to 3 sets of tools with icons. Click on the icons and get some descriptions.

It's still not as easy to get real information from as I'd like, but it is there. I'll have to check it out when I have some time.

Thanks again, A.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Interesting to watch in real life.
The great thing about swearing is that you use simple words that are easily understandable.

The amusing thing is that there doesn't seem to be much of a delta with these in regular society.

On the other hand, words meaning "good" go through a continual delta.

Groovy
Bad
Gnarley
Bitchin
Wicked
etc....

New Hmmm re the Bad vs Good ones - provocative sh*t!______:-\ufffd
New Felgercarb!
--
Chris Altmann
New One from Doctor Who...
or at least, the novelistaions that have been continuing on after the show didn't.

Cruk.

Sure, a bit silly, but it seems to do the job. Cruk the crukking crukkers, I say...

On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Doctor Who is not dead
the TV show may be, but they made a TV movie with a new Doctor. Not sure if they are going to make another one, but get a big name involved with the movie and maybe it will do better?

"Harry Sulivan is an imbecile!" You'd think that the Doctor would have used one of his High Tech swear words there?

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New The movie was (IMHO) Pants.
Paul McGann was great, but that was about it. It was very un-Dr Who, with plenty of stuff to upset die-hards *raises hand, sheepishly* like the 'I'm half-human' thing, and stuff. Not enough corridors :-)

There are always people making offers here and there to get another movie, or the TV show, or whatever up and running... but since the film was such a flop it makes it much tougher to get another project off the ground. The books are still going strong, and there's a company called Big Finish who are doing new audio adventures with Paul McGann on a regular basis. Haven't heard any of them as yet, though. There's also Death Comes To Time which can be found on the BBC website somewhere - an audio adventure with Sylvester McCoy.
On and on and on and on,
New I thought that movie sucked Hollywood-style :(
New Smeg derives from 'smegma' - no?
Delightfully odoriferous ref. for a nuovo scat-word!

Gave Red Dwarf ***\ufffd for that one...

(Betcha lots of users of smeg- dunno that ref.)
New Dunno fersure, but I've certainly always ass-u-me'd it does.
New feeblemeister n knotlicker
phlemy clam,
root beer float(female yeast condition)
snivelass,
squeeker(refer to ladies from 16 to 23)
just a few alaskan type perjoratives.
thanx,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Ah... perjoratives.
A few from down under...
- septic tank (or just tank).
- winky bats

I'll let you guess what they mean.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New (a) or 'Seppos' (b) I'm stumped!
On and on and on and on,
     Inventing smeggin' swearwords. - (static) - (16)
         Here's an atrocity in search of a New swear word: - (Ashton) - (3)
             OT: re Radsoft. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Heh.. aware of the Steve Gibson opposites - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Thanks for the info. He actually does have info on his site! - (Another Scott)
         Interesting to watch in real life. - (Brandioch) - (1)
             Hmmm re the Bad vs Good ones - provocative sh*t!______:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Felgercarb! -NT - (altmann)
         One from Doctor Who... - (Meerkat) - (3)
             Doctor Who is not dead - (orion) - (2)
                 The movie was (IMHO) Pants. - (Meerkat)
                 I thought that movie sucked Hollywood-style :( -NT - (Ashton)
         Smeg derives from 'smegma' - no? - (Ashton) - (1)
             Dunno fersure, but I've certainly always ass-u-me'd it does. -NT - (CRConrad)
         feeblemeister n knotlicker - (boxley) - (2)
             Ah... perjoratives. - (static) - (1)
                 (a) or 'Seppos' (b) I'm stumped! -NT - (Meerkat)

Happy strategic planning.
94 ms