IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Low-profile keyboards are great... My K811 just came.
Concur re. the ergonomics (which we control) being probably as important as most nit-pick details of a kb, generally.
But the choice ought not be a casual one, considering the need to match well your own learned-prefs.
As: I could never justify the 'adaptation losses' re Apple's minimalist-but-Pretty exercise in form-over-function.
Methinks that the Unacceptable label though, belongs solidly to: any kb with 'decent feel' but which LIES!
(As the Logi Illum I mentioned above: you still had to stab at keys to be sure!)

I had 3 apple kbs here + the ill-designed Logi-illuminated: 2 are the earlier (w/iMac) from neighbor; t'other came with my early '08 iMac. It is the long thin
Hey-I'm-Aluminiumiumium! one. I thought from the first that Artsy-Looks-kewl superseded anything to do with: how a kb ƒeels in Use.
That it was the Artsy-choice is also evident IMO by the faint/barely-visible *LETTERS atop keys--demanding high illumination ever to see the suckers.

* most evident in the earlier normal-height kbs--whose feel was, simply mushy. So while 'free' ... not contenders (either.) Neighbor concurred,
Found too, that I had to stab-at the chiclets [Remember the PC-Junior's chiclet kb fiasco?]
This because there is NO sense possible of whether a light touch (my pref) ever succeeded.

Just got my Logitech K811:
Chiclet-looking keys, yes: but unlike Apple-Kewl--there IS ƒeel--even with a light-touch.
As was the case with the first Logi (which failed via no-space 'twixt keys and also uncertain striking even With-the toggle feedback!)
The slight concave key surfaces providing some skin-friction are another antidote to the stark-flat/slick Apple surfaces

I'll still put a raiser to tilt this too-flat thing (and also pop the top bezel and cover the illuminated Logi icon--a silly distraction.)
But so far.. this just may Be:The Bee's Knees por moi. The kb dims progressively.. after n-sec non-use but several proximity sensors reliably re-light as you near.
As I need-not a numeric keypad, the small size is not Too-small. (You can also touch anywhere on key for reliable 'registering'.)
Mainly though: trying even a super-light touch: K811 doesn't LIE to me. As of 1st hour: Love. It.
Kick-self {again} for not having heard of this for ~8 months.
New All true
And here's another thing. I've lost count of how many desks I've seen where people have got all bent out of shape over getting this or that ergo keyboard and wrist rests and foot rests and all the rest of it, but they point with the most utterly shitty godawful mouse with the buttons in the wrong place and a ratchety, gritty-sounding wheel, that doesn't track with any degree of accuracy.

I draw a lot of things (used to be AutoCAD, now I've "graduated" to Visio - bid work again...) at work and a good pointing device is paramount.

At home and work I use a Razer Deathadder (stupid name, great mouse) because it's got high quality furniture, is properly left-handed, and tracks very precisely. At home, this is important because I do two primary things on my PC: edit photos and play games. Both of which reward a good Pointer-o-Matic.

ETA: How noisy is that Logitech? Ah, no matter. Just googled it. No keypad. Dealbreaker. Also, 90 quid is a lot of scratch for a keyboard.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 17, 2013, 02:31:52 AM EST
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 17, 2013, 02:33:44 AM EST
New I'm still using...
for a mouse pointer... a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB... one of the first ones. 4 Keys, plus the clickable mouse wheel that has non-slippy tread and doesn't grind but does stay put.

My only gripe, dust/hair sometimes makes it track funky. Other than that, I believe I'll keep using it until it fails... or USB goes out of fashion.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New which Razer Deathadder?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New The left-handed one.
New Re: All true
Snagged mine (new) off ePay for USD 68, say 45 quid.. LIST is absurd--saw some >USD 125 and Amazon was 80; am against making Bezos a Trillionaire.
He's already too arrogant (for Our own good.)

Hey.. a separate keypad is an option: there's all that free space: on either your right OR >Left< Eh?
Already I see my #oTpys falling.. no stabbing, no overlapping keys because there's just the right key spacing.. even typing pianissimo.
Oh, and: it's ~silent, only a slight thump if you're heavy-handed. Why it's a Model M sans the CLANKS.
(It can't fix my prose, though.)

Lucky you with a Leftie mouse (though their ad says 'right-handed'?--you must have blackmailed a CIEIO.)
Won't try to sway you with paeans re. the Logi Trackman--weunses have Had those discussions.
Seems that some folks' thumbs just don't want to move that-little-bit to ... save all that avoirdupois-in-motion: from future hand/arm/shoulder destruction.

(Have also seen such er, 'ratty' mice as you describe.. I certainly wouldn't let a cat play with such a bedraggled mouse!)
Need to give this sucker a real test.. type out the libretto for Götterdammerung? Swann's Way?
New Re: All true
http://www.razerzone...eft-hand-edition/

It's not hidden.
New Hah.. Amazon ad blew it--shoulda gone to Source.
Nevertheless.. you are young-enough Now to, say, P l a nahead ...
Such that, an occasional spot of cricket in your doddering years can occur ... with both arms still mobile.. eh?

(ItsForYourOwnGood.. sez All the Nags, all the time.)
As in Heh:
Can put trackball in any spot where that arm can rest easily + this Bitchin new KB==
I could still play in the swervery on a £100K Shadow ..if the bloody Gyroscope still functioned in mSec. {{sigh}}
(At least I/My Thumb can still equal the MAX on Batting Penguins ... remember that One?)

BUT ... and Alas: I know of no one who has yet printed a plastic mirror-image Logitech case for Lefties!
GREG?? (who, as an EE could also draw-up the requisite l-handed circuit board, too!)
;-/

Carrion.
     Finally replaced my IBM Model M keyboard... - (Another Scott) - (21)
         Huh, I've been looking for a replacement to my - (folkert)
         Good timing; seems it's never a no-brainer - (Ashton) - (18)
             I don't understand how J tolerates her Mac keyboards. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                 Think I have an 'M' or later work-alike. - (Ashton)
                 Low-profile keyboards are great... - (pwhysall) - (8)
                     Re: Low-profile keyboards are great... My K811 just came. - (Ashton) - (7)
                         All true - (pwhysall) - (6)
                             I'm still using... - (folkert)
                             which Razer Deathadder? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                 The left-handed one. -NT - (pwhysall)
                             Re: All true - (Ashton) - (2)
                                 Re: All true - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Hah.. Amazon ad blew it--shoulda gone to Source. - (Ashton)
                 The thing about the current Mac keyboards... - (static) - (6)
                     You what? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                         Not only that.. - (Ashton)
                         For Wade, it is to lag. -NT - (folkert)
                         I've noticed it with my own - (malraux) - (1)
                             Jobs' post-modernist style: neatness trumps human utility? - (Ashton)
                         I took a bit of licence with that remark. - (static)
         Ars: Why I use a 20 year old keyboard. - (Another Scott)

1. I've read it before; and
  2. I ignored it and marked it read the first time.

138 ms