IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What is it with Windows Me?
I have a number of clients who purchased computers preloaded with Windows Me for their business networks. These computers (Dells, eMachines and others) are all slowing down to an unusable crawl. I'm having to strip Windows Me off and install either Windows 98 SE or Windows XP to make them usable.

We are not seeing this performance failure in Windows 98 SE computers that have been running considerably longer.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New System Restore & System File Protection are possible causes
--
Chris Altmann
New That is exactly the most likely cause.
WinME (and I know this for various reasons...) is considered a turd inside the manufacturer's residence. Cranked out to get some cash on the table, minimal changes were made, and some stuff from Win2k and the WinXP were shoehorned in without consideration for compatability/stability.

If you have to use Windows 9x, use Win95 2.0 (rev b, NOT rev c - rev c had some compatability issues) or Windows 98SE. Don't use ME. Period.

Personally, if you don't need some SERIOUS legacy compatability (esoteric MS-DOS stuff w/sound - I've had a bunch of old games working without sound in Win2k) you're fine with using Win2k, as long as you've got enough memory.

End of story.
InThane - Now running Ashton rev 2.0
New Re: What is it with Windows Me?
I dunno.

We had a couple of experiments with WinME, here. Didn't last very long - we were seeing inexplicably poor performance as are you.

We use W2K on the desktop now, across the board.

If you /gotta/ run Windows, it's the best solution. XP has too many shiny toys to distract users :-)

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Depends on the drivers
I've seen some systems run great with ME, but only after the drivers got updated. I think I had an issue with the CDRW drive I had with ME, it didn't work with the built in driver and it clobbered EZ-CD 4.X (Needed the 5.0 upgrade, which cost money) and with the Nero driver it ran faster than the built in driver. But after a while it was RRR to 98SE.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Definitely an OEM install problem.
My VAIO came with WinME, pre-installed of course. I haven't had any of those problems.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Again, driver issues
Some systems are pre-installed with the latest ME drivers (Or WDM drivers as they are called) and work great. Others don't have the latest drivers and are buggier than an Ant Farm. Buyer beware, some OEMs are not as good as other OEMs. ME is crapware, unless it is set up properly on the right type of hardware.

New Well, yes.
That's why I pointed at the OEM. :-) If it don't go right on an OEM install (with the OS I want) then I'd be wanting my money back.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Big question
Did they do a Windows Update to the latest service packs? If not, then that could be part of the problem. The updates help a lot, and also in some cases update the drivers for you.

Some OEMs also stack on a ton of software that bogs the ME system down. Like Packard Bell used to do.

New Of course they haven't
I can't think of a single one of my nearly 200 business clients that has ever installed a driver update or service pack or any other update for anything except their accounting software on any computer they own.

If it's so fragile it doesn't work as delivered, it needs to be eliminated entirely. That's a lot cheaper than having me hanging around continuously upadating all kinds of stuff in hopes of killing problems that just keep coming back.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Different clients
mine were smaller than 200 machines, and they did updates. Of course I was never called back because the machines worked almost perfectly with the updated drivers and service packs. Too much quality work by myself and my business partner?

What is it with Windows Me? - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
         System Restore & System File Protection are possible causes -NT - (altmann) - (1)
             That is exactly the most likely cause. - (inthane-chan)
         Re: What is it with Windows Me? - (pwhysall)
         Depends on the drivers - (orion)
         Definitely an OEM install problem. - (static) - (2)
             Again, driver issues - (orion) - (1)
                 Well, yes. - (static)
         Big question - (orion) - (2)
             Of course they haven't - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Different clients - (orion)

I turned to him, I said, "A-balone. You're just being shellfish." Well, I knew it was going to be trouble and so did Gill, who was already on the phone to the cods.
262 ms