IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Natch, I thought it was just me.. re Tee Vee suckiness.
http://www.salon.com...rre_reinventions/

TV’s 10 most bizarre reinventions
From Bravo to TLC to History, these cable channels used to be highbrow. No more!

BY DANIEL D'ADDARIO

Some brands are consistent through the years, delivering you exactly what you’ve come to expect without variation.

Cable networks aren’t like that.

All across the dial, cable networks have shed their identities in order to become things far stranger — and, often, a bit less highbrow — than they’d been initially. The network formerly known as History Channel (now it’s just History) has defined the academic subject as including ancient aliens and truckers; TV Land’s reruns have gone from old-school classics to stuff from 10 years ago; just about every fine-arts channel broadcasts reality TV now.

It makes sense — in a crowded market, no one’s going to subsidize a network that does something unpopular. All these networks once did slightly different things, but now many have shifted toward the same model: broadcasting unscripted shows depicting a particular corner of the American experience (trucking, pawnbroking, being a pampered wife of one variety or another). Still, there’s something a bit wistful about imagining each of these cable networks’ original iterations frozen in amber — rather than a dial full of similar-looking broadcasts, we could have a gleefully out-of-step Bravo and A&E doing British costume drama, and medical oddities all over TLC. Oh well–there’s always reading!

Yeah, I thought ... what he said. :-/
My experiment,
($10/mo more, for ~ 6 mos: to get Full-B/W instead of their cheap 'hi-speed == 3 Mbits/sec' AND get livid-colour Tee Vee too!)
suggests thus far: it's Worse-than, 500 Channels-with-nothing-on. As he says, the 'History Channel' and several others are mere place-markers replaced with the homogenized unintelligent crap du jour.

I may sign-off earlier; think I've had the boob-tube ON for about 4 hours since it got a signal, back in August.
Even HBO sucks (I may or may not still have that 'free-trial' at the $$Pay-level, maybe it was for 3 mos?)
This bloody thing destroys Time in which I can Read actual Writing..

Dunno what others still find watchable, nor even if the el-cheapo menu I get IS representative of nationwide drivel, but it's fucking-Sad, by my lights.
May still let rial run as--without paying them for a fancy new Zyxel modem rental--I still get 34.3 Mbps or 10x.. a few minutes ago.
Not the full "50" via my vanilla Sci. Atlanta black box==an insignificant delta. For $0.33/day.

I know ... bitch.. bitch.. grouse..
New Cable TV seems to be slowly dying.
I keep reading about people who use over-the-air HDTV antennas and a box to get stuff from Netflix or Hulu or simply off YouTube. $35 for a Chromecast dongle is really tempting. But there's always a catch (you can't yet get HBOGo without a cable subscription, there are still local blackouts for MLB.TV and you can't watch the post-season live online., many of the streaming TV shows are a day or more late, etc., etc.).

We get something like 500 channels (with numbers from 1 to 2900 or so). We watch maybe 5 of them regularly. :-/ Maybe if they had a better ala carte selection mechanism then more people would stay (sure some channels would die, and we would lose some good stuff, but we'd lose a lot of crap too). Supposedly the Tennis Channel has some of the best viewer demographics - a channel doesn't need 10M viewers to do well.

Don't feel bad if you sensibly decide to cut the channels after the trial period - you'll have lots of company.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Brilliant.
New Spot on!
Alex
New Good comments on it now
I gave up on networks living up to their stated genres when, a few years ago, there was a show about gladatorial robot combat on Comedy Central opposite professional wrestling on SciFi.
--

Drew
New And all these...
Forz Realz Peoplez Shows... on *CARTOON NETWORK*

What the HEN!

Edit: typo.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
Expand Edited by folkert Oct. 28, 2013, 10:48:43 AM EDT
New Of course the mold was broken long ago.
"Music Television", anyone?

:-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New (Can 'The Ann Coulter Channel' be far behind?)
New And we have kinship with this responder!

This touches many nerves for me. Oh to be a fly on the wall in the board rooms of Discovery Communications, Inc., and communicate a horrible disease to the executives that changed TLC, Discovery, History, and Science into steaming piles of crap.

Me? I want the secrut Home-fone# of any/all these Suited-slackers:
So I can call, at my enterprising-Hour of say, 3 AM--their time--and Thank Each One for how nicely they have simplified my liff by giving-back My Choice of Quality or Nothing.

Thing is, a couple years back, at neighbor's I saw the Old Discovery, History offerings, and another; the sea battle against the Japanese massive whale-killing factories
(under the lying-rubric of 'Research'.) 'Action' it was, but Real action-to-a-Purpose. Etc. :-/

Need a new Institute 'Chair' today: The Technology of unVarnished Greed--and How to subvert it
Advanced [Law] Course: And How to Try the Perps who Misuse The Public's Airwaves/Media Channels.

(First drafts--we can make those slicker and HARSHER.) If. We. Will.

Ed:PS:

Even the bitchin Weather Underground got bought-up by the Banal Weather Channel--apparently a Den-of-Thieves (Ad-Men: same thing.)
So far.. you can still get decent sci+ probabilities re. the Disaster of the Week in Climate Change, but I expect those blogs to soon carry Twinkie™ ads with dancing hippopotami.

(And that's not even Tee Vee!)
Expand Edited by Ashton Oct. 29, 2013, 02:59:24 AM EDT
     Natch, I thought it was just me.. re Tee Vee suckiness. - (Ashton) - (9)
         Cable TV seems to be slowly dying. - (Another Scott)
         Yup - (drook) - (7)
             Brilliant. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Spot on! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Good comments on it now - (drook) - (3)
                 And all these... - (folkert) - (2)
                     Of course the mold was broken long ago. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         (Can 'The Ann Coulter Channel' be far behind?) -NT - (Ashton)
             And we have kinship with this responder! - (Ashton)

One thing you ought to know: well, I am the Mae-stro!
136 ms