IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Wilentz at NYT: 14th Amendment will save us.
A persuasive column, but one expects a good OpEd to be persuasive.

http://www.nytimes.c...hp&pagewanted=all

House Republicans threatening to refuse to raise the debt ceiling — that is, force a repudiation of debts already accrued — would violate that “fundamental principle” of the Constitution.

Surely the lawyers advising and defending the White House, let alone the president, know as much. Refraining from stating this loudly and clearly, and allowing Congress to slip off the hook, has been a puzzling and self-defeating strategy, leading to the crippling sequester and the politics of chronic debt-ceiling crisis. More important, by failing to clarify the constitutional principles involved, the administration has neglected to do its utmost to defend the Constitution.

That failure has led to another abdication, involving constitutional action as well as constitutional principle. The White House, along with Mr. Tribe, has rightly pointed out that the 14th Amendment does not give the president the power to raise the debt limit summarily.

But arguing that the president lacks authority under the amendment to halt a default does not mean the executive lacks any authority in the matter. As Abraham Lincoln well knew, the executive, in times of national crisis, can invoke emergency powers to protect the Constitution.

Should House Republicans actually precipitate a default and, as expected, financial markets quickly begin to melt down, an emergency would inarguably exist.

In all, the Constitution provides for a two-step solution. First, the president can point out the simple fact that the House Republicans are threatening to act in violation of the Constitution, which would expose the true character of their assault on the government.

Second, he could pledge that, if worse came to worst, he would, once a default occurred, use his emergency powers to end it and save the nation and the world from catastrophe.

Obama must have gamed this situation out. I expect he will do something (maybe selling 1/2 a million gold bars and squishing the gold-bugs in the process? http://www.newyorkfe...ed/goldvault.html ), but only after the House has played its final card. He knows history is being written this October...

Cheers,
Scott.
New do you sleep in Obama Superhero Pajamas? Just wonerin
I think he is in Cornwall myself
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Oh Box, you're so adorable. ;-)
     Wilentz at NYT: 14th Amendment will save us. - (Another Scott) - (2)
         do you sleep in Obama Superhero Pajamas? Just wonerin - (boxley) - (1)
             Oh Box, you're so adorable. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)

And there was much rejoicing... yayyyyy.
91 ms