IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A way out? "Treasury holiday"?
FDR declared a "bank holiday" during the Great Depression to stop bank runs.

Can Obama say on October 17 - "Due to the lack of a sufficiently high debt ceiling, I'm ordering Sec. Lew to close the US Treasury until further notice. All legal obligations will be paid when the situation permits."

That way: 1) We don't cross the limit. 2) We don't default. 3) Obama doesn't use any gimmicks like the $1T platinum coin.

Would this work? If not, why not?

Of course there would be huge downsides (the electronic trade of Treasuries would likely freakout), but would it be illegal in some way?

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who thinks nothing is going to change until after October 17.)
New that would give Republicans a victory
because they're all about shutting down the government and freezing spending.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
New Not quite
They're about shutting down some government and freezing some spending. There's other parts they seem to like pretty well.
--

Drew
New Not sure, would slam t-bill trading but the feds could
sell/buy a bunch if it got too speculative. Very short term solution but the panic would force something to be done
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New [wibble wubble] WAT?
the panic would force something to be done

Didn't they say that about the threat of the sequester?
--

Drew
New the panic isn't on yet, t-bills start trading at 5%
there will be panic
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
     A way out? "Treasury holiday"? - (Another Scott) - (5)
         that would give Republicans a victory - (lincoln) - (1)
             Not quite - (drook)
         Not sure, would slam t-bill trading but the feds could - (boxley) - (2)
             [wibble wubble] WAT? - (drook) - (1)
                 the panic isn't on yet, t-bills start trading at 5% - (boxley)

But isn't everything better with Christopher Walken?
62 ms