IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New US middle class, 1946-2013
OK, the dates are a tad arbitrary, particularly the latter, and the patient had been in a parlous state of health for decades, but some interesting observations in the linked piece.
When I was growing up, it was assumed that America’s shared prosperity was the natural endpoint of our economy’s development, that capitalism had produced the workers paradise to which Communism unsuccessfully aspired. Now, with the perspective of 40 years, it’s obvious that the nonstop economic expansion that lasted from the end of World War II to the Arab oil embargo of 1973 was a historical fluke, made possible by the fact that the United States was the only country to emerge from that war with its industrial capacity intact. Unfortunately, the middle class – especially the blue-collar middle class – is also starting to look like a fluke, an interlude between Gilded Ages that more closely reflects the way most societies structure themselves economically. For the majority of human history – and in the majority of countries today – there have been only two classes: aristocracy and peasantry. It’s an order in which the many toil for subsistence wages to provide luxuries for the few. Twentieth century America temporarily escaped this stratification, but now, as statistics on economic inequality demonstrate, we’re slipping back in that direction. Between 1970 and today, the share of the nation’s income that went to the middle class – households earning two-thirds to double the national median – fell from 62 percent to 45 percent. Last year, the wealthiest 1 percent took in 19 percent of America’s income – their highest share since 1928. It’s as though the New Deal and the modern labor movement never happened.
http://socialreader.com/me/content/zWlkm

cordially,
New I had a couch just like that, same hideous green
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New What do you mean: "HAD"
You mean "HAVE"
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New no had, I have kids
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Stupid f*ing couch-colors aside: Truth.
Class Warfare is finally bringing to the Fatherland, (Securty-theatre n'all) a small taste of the local-Empire's multiple convenience-wars du every jour since Korea: on everyone Else.
Fuck the Corvettes, Sting-Rays and boats: just check what NON- frozen-corporate-foodlike ersatz-Shit costs, and the price-rise curve since the Shogunate.
Take yer Pick, ultra-Consumers: a beat-up old Corvette OR food which just might-not kill off too many remaining healthy-strands in the kids' DNA, RNA (and: in their <jelloware> Most-of-all.)

(So relieved.. that I'll miss the Full-Monty denouement, 'cause there's no suspense left--about That. Not even soap-opera jollies.)
And with ever-evolving techno instantly adopted: the kevlar-vested Cop-regiments shall make NKVD seem a warm/fuzzy-TLA of yore.
Gotta keep those Gated-Compounds Secure: they pay for the Cop-brigades' $80K jobs.. on up to Cop-armies.
But we get to pay for the new-new prisons and other details.
Because: we be secure.

Hmmm when d'we suppose that Detroit [just a stand-in for everywhere] builds a $B Stadium for the 'bread' & circuses? A few months??
..worked for the Romans for the longest time before.. you know.. Hell, it's practically an algorithm, no?

Er, Carrion.
     US middle class, 1946-2013 - (rcareaga) - (4)
         I had a couch just like that, same hideous green -NT - (boxley) - (2)
             What do you mean: "HAD" - (folkert) - (1)
                 no had, I have kids -NT - (boxley)
         Stupid f*ing couch-colors aside: Truth. - (Ashton)

Every problem that humanity has ever encountered throughout history can be traced back to Gary in accounting.
48 ms