IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is the test database a separate schema?
If it's a separate schema/database/whatever, then this can be a valid approach so long as there is *no* chance of it touching production data. In practice this is very hard to guarantee.

Smoke tests (also called validation or deployment tests) should be non-destructive in production.

As far as the heated discussion goes, you can absolutely write tests depending on the DB being in a particular state, and that is exactly why there are setup and teardown and fixtures. But I don't think running the full test suite in production is necessary: again, non-destructive tests are fine.

Typically deployment tests just validate that certain expected actions happen in production. If you do a search nothing comes back but you know something should have, that's a good enough test. It doesn't have to be a particular set of data to test a deployment. The time for precise functional and integration validation was before you hit staging, not in production. In production you just want to know that you deployed the system properly and all of it is running.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I'm choosing from bad options here (not that it's my choice)
Yes, we should have purpose-built smoke tests. That's absolutely the preferred option. But that isn't what they built first. What we have today is the set of automated tests they're using in our test environment. Before the next deployment we can either put the test data in the production database -- in a separate table that can be deleted after the test -- or we don't run any automated tests after deployment.
--

Drew
     Need references for automated testing and test DBs - (drook) - (11)
         dunno about db's - (boxley)
         Sounds like someone's working in isolation. - (static) - (7)
             Well ... - (drook) - (6)
                 Ah. - (static) - (5)
                     Agreed, but that's not our alternative - (drook) - (4)
                         If you don't have great representative... - (folkert)
                         I think that's an extreme example, unfortuantely. - (static)
                         Use the database dammit - (crazy) - (1)
                             We're barely starting to talk about performance/load testing - (drook)
         Is the test database a separate schema? - (malraux) - (1)
             I'm choosing from bad options here (not that it's my choice) - (drook)

*nog*
73 ms