IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ashamed to say...
I've read only the first three: V, The Crying of Lot 49 and Gravity's Rainbow. I own all the rest until this month, however, and they're on the bucket list. The first three novels are all justly legendary, all justly frustrating. Lot 49, which Pynchon is today inclined to disparage, remains his best entry-level novel. V is dazzling, if exasperating (I threw the paperback across the room in frustration about 125 pages in; retrieved it from a different room five years later and completed it in about three sittings). Gravity's Rainbow is a hallucinatory masterpiece, and a hypnotic reading experience. I read all of these before I turned thirty. All, and their successor works, will merit a reading before I peg out. Pynchon and Ashton are contemporaries. Coincidence?

cordially,
New May have been Gravity's Rainbow which evoked a sense that,
in order to join the fracas con gusto--I might well have then exceeded my personal limits for Disturbing zeitgeists.. thus demurred. But I may have to revisit, now that I'm accustomed to/if not fully-accepting of.. the fact of overt deterioration of sensibilities, damn near everywhere. Guess I have to catch up.. before I join Them.
Hmm Lot 49 sounds the next best ticket-of entry then; I mean, what could be a better dose of cognitive dissonance than to disregard the Author's opinion of his own work, I ask?
(However, that shall have to wait.. Europe Central is taking-on that familiar state: Oh Jeez! I can see that this is finite!--eventually I shall run-out-of 'It'.. and what could follow It??
Can books be listed as 'A Controlled Substance'?)

Had to look up [where's that Right type-font!] Schalldeckel, that essential almost-leitmotif for the sleepwalker's dream-state.. What a Hoot! Can Vollmann maintain this level of extrapolation of n-details into a truthiness so much larger than the Parts?

These recent excursions into the Century in which I was spawned--then had to disregard all the jingoistic local versions of that-all--are causing me to realize more fully: just how Nasty Was the Twentieth.
And too: if the Twenty-first is going to echo its first decade ...
Somehow.. forewarned is forearmed is a phrase offering no sustenance ... ...

Carrion.
New Glad you're enjoying Europe Central
It reads like more disciplined Pynchon, and together with Wolf Hall and Red Plenty has been one of the most impressive (thin praise, I know, but I haven't had my coffee yet) books published in this young and already unpromising century that I've yet encountered.

cordially,
     Pynchon's latest is a story of geeks, the Internet, New York - (Ashton) - (3)
         ashamed to say... - (rcareaga) - (2)
             May have been Gravity's Rainbow which evoked a sense that, - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Glad you're enjoying Europe Central - (rcareaga)

We're not going to play any mature games, are we?
61 ms