IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sony have in some ways succeeded despite themselves.
With the original Playstation, Sony was up against a Sega who was imploding and a Nintendo who were hard to work with. It wasn't a lay-down misère, but it might've been. SCEI was in many ways the opposite of Nintento and developers loved it.

The PS2 was up against the newcomer Microsoft. Sony nearly stumbled a few times because Sony Corporate, having let SCEI create this big success with the PSX, could not resist putting their fingers in the mix this time. I suspect knowing that MS were copying with the Xbox what Sony did with the PSX probably saved them as they knew the playbook.

The PS3 and the Xbox 360 were simply More Of The Same. With Nintendo going out of step and then trying to change the rules with their innovative controller, MS and Sony had a partial duopoly. They might've both been in a lot more trouble if Nintento had released the Wii at roughy the same time as the PS3 and Xbox 360. They would've definitely been in trouble if Nintendo had gone for HD and the next-gen graphics instead of just a mild upgrade.

The PS4 and the XBone are mostly a great big upgrade from their predecessors. I've seen game footage of the PS4 and the graphics engine is quite a lot better than the PS3 and the PS3 is pretty good. Plus MS stumbled badly with the "always on" thing and the Kinect. Sony knew better. That will help their reputation quite a lot.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New I understood that the PS3 almost killed Sony.
They thought that the blue lasers were going to be easier to perfect than they ended up being, so yields were low and costs were high in their BluRay players that were one of the big selling-points of the box. ("Buy this inexpensive game machine and get a free Blu-Ray player!")

The Cell processors were a big risk for them, too.

I think it's great that Sony was willing to push the technology and take risks like that. The hardware behind PS4 and XBone seems to be much more conventional (even if the graphics performance, etc., is much higher than the predecessors).

It'll be interesting to see if they're as popular as the earlier boxes.

I'm tempted to look into one mainly for the mediaplayer aspects (we haven't even downloaded any TV shows yet even though we've got Amazon Prime). We're paying over $200 a month for cable TV and internet and it's tempting to find ways to cut that expense down some... Or maybe a Chromecast dongle, or ... But I'm often on the trailing edge of technology now - the hep cats probably do everything on their phones now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were canceled 3 months after we bought one. ;-)

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Oh yes. I was going to mention that.
The PS2 was timed nearly perfectly for DVD, but the PS3 was about a year early technologically speaking. They took a bit of a bath and it was a huge gamble, but they've come out of it doing not too bad. I think Sony Corporate learnt to let SCEI just do what they're good at.

Sony and MS have been pretty pro-active in making their gaming network work. I think it helps that download only games have started appearing that are good enough to win significant awards (Journey comes to mind).

I use a PS3 for DVD and BluRay playing as well as the games, but I have a MythTV for DVB, catch-up TV (iView usually) and Youtube. Sony did make a DVR add-on for the PS3 but it seems to have vanished from the market.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     A true Windows phone likely coming: MS is buying Nokia - (Another Scott) - (20)
         It's a smart move, I think. - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Too little too late. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                 {{Whew}} ... for a bit there, I feared that - (Ashton)
                 I prefer theirs to itunes -NT - (boxley)
                 Already done - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Your last point is the most important. - (folkert)
         Felix: There is 0 demand for another phone OS. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             There's a way. - (static) - (7)
                 thats the plan - (boxley)
                 Lots of people are claiming they'll never buy an XBone - (Another Scott) - (5)
                     Oh the PS4 will be a great hit... - (folkert) - (3)
                         Sony have in some ways succeeded despite themselves. - (static) - (2)
                             I understood that the PS3 almost killed Sony. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Oh yes. I was going to mention that. - (static)
                     Lots of those people are lying... - (pwhysall)
         Re: A true Windows phone likely coming: MS is buying Nokia - (Bman) - (2)
             ROFLCOPTER! -NT - (folkert)
             It's p-p-petrified p-p-p-latypus! ... p-p-erhaps? -NT - (Ashton)
         It's been in the works for years - (crazy) - (1)
             Sounds so simple--now - (Ashton)

Now, with built-in MIDI ports!
208 ms