IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Too little too late.
No other phone manufacturer would use MS software.

And they'll have to build an iTunes infrastructure equivalent. What's the chance they'll get that better or right?

They're grasping at straws hoping it's a lifeline. The chasm lies below.
Alex
New {{Whew}} ... for a bit there, I feared that
maybe Ballmer wouldn't have his epaulets ripped off, saber broken and be drummed out of the Kiddie corps?

Thanks for restoring my faith in The Chasm
(it's also good that it's deep enough to accommodate a number of other eligible homo-saps: by definition. :-)
But even that earned denouement for Ballmer can't save the planet from the scourge of Doze.. right away. :-/

Thousands shall sleep a little better tonight, just for knowing that dll-Hell shall someday be seen only in a museum.. not on your phone.

: oTpy
Expand Edited by Ashton Sept. 4, 2013, 05:00:15 AM EDT
New I prefer theirs to itunes
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Already done
HTC and Samsung have already produced Windows phones, although they'll be going "fuck that noise" right now, no doubt.

XBox Music already exists and has a bigger (100% bigger) catalogue than iTunes, does streaming, unlimited downloads for the duration of the subscription, cloud matching (like iTunes Match), yadda yadda.

MS have the technology and the infrastructure, right now, and it's as good or better than Apple's.

It's whether they've got the savvy to actually sell it to normal people that is in question.
New Your last point is the most important.
I'll agree that Microsoft has done a good job of putting in the pieces and putting them together.

I'll agree that much of those pieces are as good or equal to anything Apple or Google have.

I'll also agree than at this point, Microsoft has more money than sense to throw at these kinds of things and also do have many of the pieces in good shape to take on something like this with ease.

The thing though, that even if Microsoft were to hire the same exact people or agencies or marketing firms or what not... at this point, they are still seriously under the impression that they matter.

In reality they don't at the moment. They have to put together a complete package that avoids the landmines they have placed before themselves in years past. For example Zune (even though it was a nice piece of kit)... for example previous versions Windows Phone... for example "Plays For Sure"... to name just a few related bad experiences Microsoft forced customers to endure and not really "care" since they thought they were untouchable and immune.

Also recently Microsoft, flailing trying to figure out how to steer the ship with the wind, rather than against it and tearing down the sails and then rowing.

Yes, it is a monumental challenge to bring the entire set of Fiefdoms into alignment and to help the company bring its "Vision" back. Then *SELL* that "Vision" and not back bite the customers that actually adopt it, like it has continually done over the years.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"No snowflake in an avalanche eve feels responsible." --Fortune Cookie
     A true Windows phone likely coming: MS is buying Nokia - (Another Scott) - (20)
         It's a smart move, I think. - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Too little too late. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                 {{Whew}} ... for a bit there, I feared that - (Ashton)
                 I prefer theirs to itunes -NT - (boxley)
                 Already done - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Your last point is the most important. - (folkert)
         Felix: There is 0 demand for another phone OS. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             There's a way. - (static) - (7)
                 thats the plan - (boxley)
                 Lots of people are claiming they'll never buy an XBone - (Another Scott) - (5)
                     Oh the PS4 will be a great hit... - (folkert) - (3)
                         Sony have in some ways succeeded despite themselves. - (static) - (2)
                             I understood that the PS3 almost killed Sony. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Oh yes. I was going to mention that. - (static)
                     Lots of those people are lying... - (pwhysall)
         Re: A true Windows phone likely coming: MS is buying Nokia - (Bman) - (2)
             ROFLCOPTER! -NT - (folkert)
             It's p-p-petrified p-p-p-latypus! ... p-p-erhaps? -NT - (Ashton)
         It's been in the works for years - (crazy) - (1)
             Sounds so simple--now - (Ashton)

The natural irony quotient of the Universe asserting itself in everyday life.
53 ms