IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Best advice for a new security position?
Karma? Must be. I have complained about the lax security in my company so often, they have decided I am now in charge of security. I, of course, have no authority to order any changes.

Nuff said.

Gawd I need a new job.
K-mart. The company that beat Microsoft in customer satisfaction.
New So if you have no authority for changes
You don't really have any obligation to suggest them.

Except my pointy-haired crystal ball tells me you'll be the one whose blamed should any security be breached? Sigh. I guess you're right re needing a new job.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New On the contrary
Propose what changes you can, so that at least if they turn them down, those security breaches are THEIR fault. Make those proposals on paper. Require their Approval/Denial on the same paper as proof of accountability. You might find yourself gaining more control after the first few breaches. In other words CYA
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
New Document the needs
Send them to the change control folks so you have done your job. Thats the best you can do.
thanx,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Work nights, weekends until a security policy is in place
You have no coverage of your own position or the company until you get that document complete and approved by the board. Then you can take a well-deserved breather and start implementing.

Seriously. I'm not joking. You are taking on a lot of corporate risk for yourself. Get it done. That's the best advice I can offer you.
---------------------------------
Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Find out exactly what you are responsible for.
And then raise Holy Ned about why you don't have the authority over what you're responsible for.

I was in that position once: I simply refused to be responsible. Then, too, I managed to quite handily embarrass my employer amongst its peers due to a well-times illness. It was at that point that senior management realized what was going on and fixed it.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New No authority. Is that unusual?
Hi,

...I am now in charge of security. I, of course, have no authority to order any changes.

Is that unusual? In my line of work, on my project I'm the "owner" of certain aspects of it so it's my responsibility to do planning, set agendas, seek help from others, etc., etc. But what actually gets done is decided by consensus at meetings. I can't impose my will on the project.

"It's good to be the king!" - but many of us aren't.

I agree with Bender and others - make sure you document what you feel needs to be done and why. Even if you can't implement the changes on your own, it's important for you and the company that it be done.

Good of luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks all
Many points to consider.
K-mart. The company that beat Microsoft in customer satisfaction.
     Best advice for a new security position? - (Silverlock) - (7)
         So if you have no authority for changes - (Meerkat) - (1)
             On the contrary - (Steven A S)
         Document the needs - (boxley)
         Work nights, weekends until a security policy is in place - (tseliot)
         Find out exactly what you are responsible for. - (static)
         No authority. Is that unusual? - (Another Scott)
         Thanks all - (Silverlock)

The Men In Black have been bendin' my ear.
49 ms