IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A bit of insurance
could be a pair of walkie talkies. If most of your communication is with your travel partner.

Can't comment on the SIM issue, but I am aware of cell restricted environments such as our cruise ship. It is incredibly expensive to use your cell phone on a ship, because THEY are the provider, and they get to charge you out the wazoo. Even for "local" ship calls.

We got 2 pairs of walkie talkies, high power, that work throughout the entire ship.

So if most of your communication is based on being in a hotel on different floors (lobby->room), pool->restaurant), or splitting up while walking the local market place, the WTs will work for you. Then if you ended up using the phone for an occasional "emergency", it wouldn't feel (and cost) so bad even if you went for the most expensive plan, and you'll be comfortable knowing it will work when you really need it.
New Re: A bit of insurance
That is if you all make it to the ship :-)
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New Will be staying in hotel tonight
next to the airport.

All new travel arrangements confirmed (like that means anything).

Will be in PR tomorrow, and St. Something the next day.
New Have fun. :-)
New In-country calling isn't much of an issue.
J will be traveling with her sister and they'll be together the whole time. J will be calling home (and me, her). Having the ability to get to the web while on the road may be handy, for insurance.

But the walkie-talkie idea is an interesting one - thanks. I'll have to think on that some more. But they try to pack light, so they may not want another "gadget" to carry around.

I'm leaning toward getting a micro-SIM card from OOMobile, or a similar vendor, a couple of weeks before they go. If it's a bust, well, live and learn.

But if anyone out there has more ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New for yakking at you is skype an option?
seen skype over a mobile device, not too ratty
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Maybe. I'll check. Thanks.
     Estonian SIM for travel to Europe? Orange or etc. instead? - (Another Scott) - (8)
         A bit of insurance - (crazy) - (6)
             Re: A bit of insurance - (Bman) - (2)
                 Will be staying in hotel tonight - (crazy) - (1)
                     Have fun. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             In-country calling isn't much of an issue. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 for yakking at you is skype an option? - (boxley) - (1)
                     Maybe. I'll check. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Decided to try a TruSIM - (Another Scott)

If you realize that this is the result of 35 years of continuous development across a wide range of compute platforms, there's a certain sense to it. It's internally consistent with its development history. Not that it doesn't suck.
284 ms