Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ever wonder what was killing Sears?
Here's one analysis:
http://www.salon.com...emium%29_7_30_110
[from AlterNet]

Ayn Rand killed Sears
How the me-first corporate structure installed by hedge fund manager Eddie Lampert helped ruin the retail giant

BY LYNN STUART PARRAMORE

Eddie Lampert, the legendary hedge fund manager, was once hailed as the “Steve Jobs of the investment world” and the second coming of Warren Buffett. These days, he claims the number 2 spot on Forbes’ list of America’s worst CEOs. He has destroyed Sears, the iconic retail giant founded in 1886, which used to be known as the place “Where America Shops.”

America now avoids Sears at all costs, thanks largely to Mr. Lampert and his love of twisted economic logic.

A bit of background: Lampert cut his teeth on Wall Street at the risk-arbitrage desk of Goldman Sachs under Robert Rubin, who later became U.S. Treasury Secretary and now serves as vice chairman at Citigroup. In 1988, Lampert founded ESL Investments and joined the billionaire’s club at age 41. He rose to fame in the early 2000s for seizing control of Kmart during bankruptcy and then using it to take over Sears. Along the way he was kidnapped and deposited on a motel toilet in handcuffs for nearly 40 hours, and lived to tell the tale. Lampert is known for his touchiness and odd habits, such as conducting meetings from a bare bones room to Sears executives forced to tune in by videoconference. He hates flying.

You might say that Lampert is the distillation of the fervent market worship and wrong-headed economic approaches that came to dominate the U.S. in the 1980s and have yet to run their fatal course. He adores Ayn Rand, and is reported to have given out copies of Atlas Shrugged during an ESL annual dinner. Lampert is also a fan of Friedrich von Hayek, the Austrian economist beloved by conservatives and libertarians. As a Robert Rubin protégé, he absorbed the lessons of a man whose discredited economic focus on budget deficits ended up starving the country’s infrastructure, education and alternative energy.

[. . .]

With so many CIEIOs cast in the Rubin mold, it's difficult to imagine the continued survival of our 'Exceptional' Vulture Capitalism; the momentum is just too large,
the ones with the power appear as pig-headed as GWB--and there's no time for them all to have epiphanies following each corporate dismantling.

Converting Sears' originally adequate capital, eyeing the valuable real estate beneath potentially close-able stores--both plans:mainly to make those assets easier to personally skim?
And there's nobody anywhere in the System to Say No! ??

What better formula to sink this dystopia at max. possible rate?
(Seems a rilly Stupid way to go out, though--via the cupididty of so few; we just ain't got no cuth nohow.
I see already that the process will be no fun to watch, even from the outside; the workers will be screwed anyway--and still: nobody's planning when to hit the Barricades?)
New what happens when a bean counter with an Excel spreadsheet
gets too much power?

A. Sears in its present form is the result.

All of his critics said that you needed someone with retail experience as the top dog ... and they were right.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
New Peter Principle no longer applies.
New YM they're promoted even *beyond* their incompetence level?
New yup, into the "club"
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Yes. They now start at their level of incompetence.
New That explains the parts department :-(
Shoddy design compounded by substandard manufacturing, no more ship to store and extortionate s&h on even the most trivial items. We've already replaced the snowblower with a Deere and just executed the first and last repair on the lawnmower...
New I remember years ago heading to the tools department
and hanging out admiring everything for an hour or so. Now its not worth the drive
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Now, even Costco among others, has Craftsman tool kits.
The Craftsman name is owned by KCD IP, LLC. For now, it's owned by Sears Holding.

The tools are probably made by the lowest manufacturer.

When I want cheap Chinese tools, I go to Harbor Freight.
Alex
New harbor freight wont replace broken tools
sears still will. Rounded out a chinese made craftsman socket last year attached to a drill. Got a new one
New True. The tools are priced to be throw aways.
Alex
New But it works for me
Harbor Freight (and their associated Chicago and other brands) are the cheapest entry level price for pretty much any tool. Those are the tools you buy as a novice (me) to determine if you are even capable of using them, or if you need a pro to do the job. Once determined, you will use it until it breaks.

Then, and only then, will I invest in the money for a real version.

I have done about 99% of my bedroom's oak wood work with a borrowed router. Next in line is to build all the built in shelves, a king sized bed platform, and all the associated edges are the next stage of the project. My brother (the guy who has every tool in the world EXCEPT a router says he refuses to work with oak, too difficult) would not even try. I was amazed that it lasted as long as it did. And then it broke (of course). Now I owe a router to my nephew. Once I get my 1st paycheck for the new job (cringers fossed, settled on terms yesterday, filled out online forms to allow offer letter generated and investigation to be started, NO, I've never been arrested) I will get a Porter Cable one, use it for a month, and then give it to my nephew.

So it works for all of us.
New Lowe's does, too.
I've had good luck with the handful of Kobalt tools I've bought there.
     Ever wonder what was killing Sears? - (Ashton) - (12)
         what happens when a bean counter with an Excel spreadsheet - (lincoln) - (4)
             Peter Principle no longer applies. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                 YM they're promoted even *beyond* their incompetence level? -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     yup, into the "club" -NT - (boxley)
                     Yes. They now start at their level of incompetence. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         That explains the parts department :-( - (scoenye) - (6)
             I remember years ago heading to the tools department - (boxley) - (5)
                 Now, even Costco among others, has Craftsman tool kits. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                     harbor freight wont replace broken tools - (boxley) - (3)
                         True. The tools are priced to be throw aways. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             But it works for me - (crazy)
                         Lowe's does, too. - (mmoffitt)

I'm very sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue with you unless you've paid.
64 ms