Yeah, ours is pretty super duper, too.

Another reason to never move that mofo.
New Never. Ever. Will they be moved.
New If I believed in tempting fate you're courting an earthquake
--

Drew
New mirror mirror on the wall
whenever the fuck you gonna fall?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Never
Unless the entire house comes down. Even if it shakes in an earth quake as per drook. (holds out middle finger to the gods, just daring them) (with a hint of trepidation)

The wall is a concrete firewall that divides the duplex.

The mirror is resting in a tight groove on the top edge of multiple 8" boards (real wood, not pressed crap) that have been adhered to the wall via long nails that were shot in via an explosive hammer, a nail every foot or so both high and low.

In front of that board there are oak tongue and groove floor boards that are vertical, 6 to a foot, and adhered via counter sunk long screws at both top and bottom. The screws go through both the backing boards and an inch into the concrete. The support comes in from all sides.

There are also oak boards horizontal across the top of the vertical ones, a rail, in front of the mirror, ones under that, to make it pretty and hide the screw holes, and along the bottom by the floor, locking it all together.

There is NOTHING more secure and stable in entire house. I could smash any piece of that structure with a sledge hammer, and that mirror would not fall.

Can you tell I was a bit worried, and when I went for overkill, I went for "nuke from orbit" level of overkill?

Hey box, considering an akita. Any thoughts? Gonna move in to help me train it?
New Akita?
Buy extra-large poo bags.

The amount of dung that comes out of a healthy big dog can be surprising.

Keeps your hands warm on those cold winter mornings, though.

ETA: they shed like a bastard, too. Hair everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Handsome beasties.
Expand Edited by pwhysall July 16, 2013, 07:53:11 AM EDT
New Word
The difference between "a dog that sheds a bit" and "a dog that sheds a lot" is remarkable. Jenn vacuums every two days and pulls enough out of the canister to make a schnauzer.
--

Drew
New Time to have the kirby fixed
New Miele Cat & Dog
Never mind your "made in America" crap. You need German engineering for serious dog-hair-sucker-upping.

We got one when we had Max, the Dalmatian Cross Who Should Have Been Bald.
New Dalmatian hair *sucks*
My sister had one and took it for a ride in my Camaro one day while borrowing the car. That Dalmatian hair simply does not come out of cloth.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
Expand Edited by malraux July 24, 2013, 09:58:50 AM EDT
New Weimaraner hair is the same way.
Except we have a Weimaraner with Boxer colors... So its is just like Dalamatian hair.

We switched from a Hoover upright to a Dyson (mumble)... which was before they did the "animal".

We vacuumed the carpeting for 30 days straight (going over it many times per vacuum) before we were able to not fill it 3 times during the chore... of course we also had a Brittany until recently, which didn't add much.

Now if we vacuum, we get one full canister and a partial one. It is like our dog should be bald. I mean we can get "all" the hair out of her with a serious brushing and 10-15 minutes later you can get more. It is horrible sometimes... especially on hot hot days.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Expand Edited by folkert July 24, 2013, 10:04:51 AM EDT
New DalmatiAn, fercryinoutloud, you Yanks!
Peter even showed you how to spell it in the first post above that mentions it. Where the fuck do you even get this moronism from in the first place -- do you know lots of Syrions and Italions, too?!? Fuck, even Shrub didn't call his "Grecians" Grecions...

Damn, it's a hard life being a pilkunnussija.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New isn't that a lion from ita?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Is "tion" not a very common suffix in other languages?
It's so common in English that I type it on autopilot.
--

Drew
New Sure -- for nouns derived from verbs and adjectives, just...
...like in English. Not for nationalities, which are, what, adjectives or adverbials or something? What, isn't -ian a very common suffix in English...?

Automation, from automate/automatic; gestation, from gestate; maturation, from mature(v/adj); infatuation, from youth and naivety... You chop off any vowels from the end of the verb and add the whole -ion part.

Country and regional names that end in -ia are most all from Latin, like Sarmatia/n, Armenia/n, Arabia/n, Illyria/n(*), Liguria/n, Iberia/n, Catalonia/n, Galicia/n, Lusitania/n(+), Pannonia/n, Hibernia/n... They all end in -ia already(@), so you need just add an -n and keep your fingers off the vowels.

HTH!

---
*: Of which Dalmatia was a part. For more recent monikers in the same area, see YugoslavIA/N, SerbIA/N, CroatIA/N, RomanIA/N, and BulgarIA/N.
+: Typing this in the Radisson Blu Lisboa.
@: In Latin; English has often replaced this with an -y, but the -ian remains.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New so do you spell it Cristion in american?
New Good catch, Bill! No, not I, but perhaps DrooK? (And you?)
New Fast typing is (I suspect) partially fonetik
I don't think in parts of speech when typing.
--

Drew
New I see that the pilkunnussija mode is ON! :)
I had to dig through old notes to find that one. In colloquial Finish pilkunnussija means comma-fucker, i.e. someone being pedantic.
Alex
New Oooh! Even Linus hasn't used that one yet!
New Just stopped myself from nussing a few pilkkus elsewhere...
New For the geographically-challenged:
http://goo.gl/maps/90BR9

^^ Dalmatia.

Lovely part of the world. My sister has been there on holiday a few times and adores the place. Very popular with the Germans, apparently.
New All in slow Wohnautos-"RVs", in Yank-on narrow twisty roads.
New good jump off spot for smuggled ciggies back in the day
New That's why standard size poodles are nice
No shedding to speak of and very smart. Get them a puppy cut for all their born years and they don't look stupid either. Lots of fun to play with too, and easy to train.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Yep
Our yorkies don't shed, either.

New Sophie doesn't shed as much as she molts.
She's got this white undercoat that comes out in clumps when the season warms up. It's amazing how much hair she's got left, even after she's been brushed and combed and (seemingly) filled up a 13 gal plastic garbage bag.

Supposedly she's part Bernese Mountain Dog so that may be the reason. It's not the supposed Great Dane part, that's for sure...

Cheers,
Scott.
New It's no wonder they eat so much
Growing all that hair is SRS BSNS.
New If you want an Akita...
But with less of the problems associated with the big dogs... Get a Shiba-Inu.

Had one for 4 months, almost 10 years ago, before the youngest kid took him and the Brittany Spaniel for a walk... yeah, he ended up under a car's tires at speed.

If you "owned him" he would walk with you with no leash needed. If he "owned you" there was little you could do to get him to do anything. Including stay around you...

That was a very bad day. A very bad day. That dog... wow, I'm crying thinking about it. Its been almost 10 years. He was AWESOME!

He still shed, but he was built for chasing things in bushes. Hair has to come off to allow escape.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New never get a pure bred anything
close mixes and hybrids are smarter. Rottie mixes are great
     Oh my lord that mirror is heavy - (crazy) - (40)
         I hear that - (pwhysall) - (2)
             2 days later - (crazy) - (1)
                 For some perspective, courtesy of Solicitous-LRPD - (Ashton)
         And oh my lord it's gorgeous when mounted - (crazy) - (35)
             Re: It doubled the size of the room, visually. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 Well, actually, not in this case - (crazy) - (2)
                     I thought those mirrors went on the ceiling! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         All over actually - (crazy)
             I can get that effect without all the physical labor - (boxley)
             Re: And oh my lord it's gorgeous when mounted - (pwhysall) - (29)
                 Never. Ever. Will they be moved. -NT - (crazy) - (28)
                     If I believed in tempting fate you're courting an earthquake -NT - (drook)
                     mirror mirror on the wall - (boxley) - (26)
                         Never - (crazy) - (25)
                             Akita? - (pwhysall) - (22)
                                 Word - (drook) - (21)
                                     Time to have the kirby fixed -NT - (crazy) - (16)
                                         Miele Cat & Dog - (pwhysall) - (15)
                                             Dalmatian hair *sucks* - (malraux) - (1)
                                                 Weimaraner hair is the same way. - (folkert)
                                             DalmatiAn, fercryinoutloud, you Yanks! - (CRConrad) - (12)
                                                 isn't that a lion from ita? -NT - (boxley)
                                                 Is "tion" not a very common suffix in other languages? - (drook) - (10)
                                                     Sure -- for nouns derived from verbs and adjectives, just... - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                                         so do you spell it Cristion in american? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             Good catch, Bill! No, not I, but perhaps DrooK? (And you?) -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                         Fast typing is (I suspect) partially fonetik - (drook)
                                                         I see that the pilkunnussija mode is ON! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                             Oooh! Even Linus hasn't used that one yet! -NT - (scoenye)
                                                             Just stopped myself from nussing a few pilkkus elsewhere... -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                         For the geographically-challenged: - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                             All in slow Wohnautos-"RVs", in Yank-on narrow twisty roads. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                             good jump off spot for smuggled ciggies back in the day -NT - (boxley)
                                     That's why standard size poodles are nice - (malraux) - (3)
                                         Yep - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                             Sophie doesn't shed as much as she molts. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 It's no wonder they eat so much - (pwhysall)
                             If you want an Akita... - (folkert)
                             never get a pure bred anything - (boxley)
         Side mirrors are up - (crazy)

Due to a vast miscalculation, it was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.
356 ms