IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Has anyone seen either Scorpion King or Spiderman yet?
Still have that raincheck in my pocket from LOTR.
thanx,
Bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Saw Spiderman
It wasn't bad, but I didn't like the casting of Peter Parker - he had too much of a "hurt puppydog" look about him throughout the movie. Now, granted, he's *supposed* to be an angst-filled teenager trying to reconcile super (well, extraordinary) powers, and they carried out the major parts of the storyline of his initial reactions to his powers pretty much along similar lines as the comics, although of course some of the parts differed because of the media it was being presented with, but I didn't think he really convincingly carried out his attempts to woo Mary Jane - he was too ineffective. And, well, Peter Parker's face is just too cute (IMO). :=)

There were a couple of changes to his powers that may have effects in any sequels (for instance, in the comics one plot device that comes up every so often is him running out of his spider goop for the device he's invented to shoot webs, where in the movie it's an innate power), but I thought the Spiderman parts of the movie were pretty good, and the casting and acting of the Green Goblin was also pretty good. If you see still shots of him swinging along New York streets they may look goofy, but the film's CGI carries it off pretty well.

Besides the film, a brief moment of excitement occurred in the theater when the fire alarm went off. The problem was I didn't know what the heck it was - didn't sound like any fire alarm I've heard in other buildings before. Eventually as people started filing out I figured out what it was, but it's one thing to falsely yell fire in a theater, and other to have an unrecognizable alarm.
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
Expand Edited by wharris2 May 7, 2002, 03:20:22 PM EDT
New Same here.
The wife and I saw it - not too much of a difference in opinion, 'cept it sounds like we enjoyed it more. There's no real development of the MJ-Peter romance, so certain things seem kind of forced, but I like the tone they ended it on. Definitely set up for sequels, and according to some more versed in comic book lore, Dr. Octopus, the Lizard, Harry Green Goblin, the Hobgoblins, and some others who's names I can't remember were all set up in this film.

If nothing else, it's an example of what can happen when somebody who respects the source material makes a superhero film. Lotsa fun, not horribly jarring CGI, just don't think about it too hard.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New How was Randy "Macho Man" Savage?
He was supposed to be Bonesaw McGRaw, a wrestler that Spider-man fought.

Organic web shooters? I guess that they couldn't sell the Peter Parker "Chemical Genius" who invented the web formula and web shooters?

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Re: How was Randy "Macho Man" Savage?
Bonesaw acted like a wrassler, but really didn't have much of a part to act with. No choreography, just sheer beating the bloody pulp out of his opponents.
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
New Re: How was Randy "Macho Man" Savage?
Just like real life then, oh yeah, I wanna re-match! Flying Elbow from the top rope! Snap into a Slim-Jim!

New Sounds like scorpion king then
I saw an interview and some clips that indicate one of the best fight scenes ever between the protagonist and some other barbarian. Not much CGI all scripted moves done right.
thanx,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Spider-Man
My brother bought me a ticket to see Spider-Man today, he also paid for a Star Wars Episode 2 ticket on Thursday. Anyway if you read the Comic Book version you'd know the storyline. Or at least the Hollywood version of it changed a bit. No webshooters, all organic webbing that comes out of his wrists (could have been true to nature and came out of his butt like a real spider?) and tiny spider hair/legs on his fingers (instead of the static electricty in the comic book).

They could have done better, but it was worth it to see because my brother bought the ticket and not me. Sort of an early birthday gift.

New Visual plot devices
I didn't mind most of the alterations they made; a lot of them actually made more sense than the comics.
New But if they wanted to be true to nature
they would have him shoot webs out of his butt like a true spider instead of his wrists, but oh well! :)

Has anyone seen either Scorpion King or Spiderman yet? - (boxley) - (9)
         Saw Spiderman - (wharris2) - (4)
             Same here. - (inthane-chan)
             How was Randy "Macho Man" Savage? - (orion) - (2)
                 Re: How was Randy "Macho Man" Savage? - (wharris2) - (1)
                     Re: How was Randy "Macho Man" Savage? - (orion)
         Sounds like scorpion king then - (boxley)
         Spider-Man - (orion) - (2)
             Visual plot devices - (wharris2) - (1)
                 But if they wanted to be true to nature - (orion)

The absence of evidence is the most damning evidence of all.
50 ms