IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OS X: Java, Security Update
Jeez.. 420 MB of (potential buffer overflows?)
No telling what was broken/fixed re 'security'--for all obvious reasons of abetting-enemy I suppose.

(And Nooo--screw Snow Leopardians re. any Safari repair.)
Having found some means to ameliorate its foibles--for decent-enough intervals, natch I procrastinate at re-teaching muscle-memory to {{Ugh}} Change Browsers. Yet.
GWBush-grade stubbornness? or just plain sloth.)

Haven't run it long enough to see if any performance change is observable.

Ed: Hmmmmm ... 5 minutes later:

For first time in a Looong time:
3.97 GB free, Idle at 97-100% with 80+ Tabs open [Restored from last, that is]
This out of 6 GB total in this '08 iMac..

COULD Java have been sole cause of 'leak-like' Safari behavior?? / accompanied by %Idle in the 35-50% area,
constant refresh of Tabs/concomitant dumb cookies to be re-nuked?
(Or, bizarrely: something Else which Apple lumped under ... 'Security')

Just looked again:
No longer are once-nuked cookies being resent, #s the same as above--and iStat never Lies.
T I M E shall tell, I guess. Been 42 min. since reboot, etc.
Fingers bloody-well Crossed.

Carrion

Expand Edited by Ashton June 23, 2013, 07:02:12 PM EDT
New Best Java security update: turn it off in the browser
And if you're not using it for applets, and you're not a developer, you don't need it any longer. Mischief managed.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I revised results, in last few minutes..
But I had turned off Java at various times, in course of trying to grok the 'leaky--or Other' Safari malady.
No believable correlation--then. Now it is ON (may be nuked permanently, if I see no ill effects in the few regular sites I visit.)

So.. not ignoring your advice. Thanks.
New long as you don't need to book a room, flight, bank apps etc
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New I do all of those things.
Haven't had to use Java to do so yet.

Invariably the very few times I've seen a Java applet on a web page for something it's so poorly written that I can't use it regardless, so what's the difference?
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: OS X: Java, Security Update; Think I see what they did:
I note that the 18 windows in Finder are blank, ergo not reloaded into memory.. yet.
(Fine with me, to let each one load as 'called' --they are mainly for Ref not everyday interaction: the Titles are enough.)

This suggests that, either the 'Security' update altered [several versions of Safari or just last version in Snow-Leopard?] or something in OS X set some flag, on 'Reload Previous Windows':
such that the sucker dutifully reloaded All Content, before. Now it Doesn't.
(Doubt this Update indeed silently altered Safari [Version 5.1.9 (6534.59.8)] as that is same Number-set as before the upgrade.)

Anyway, I can't infer even whether: Safari was broken? / someone observed the non-necessity of opening everything in Finder on each reload / or ____ what-ever.
(Nor should I be able to, being unacquainted with the polishing of tuples and mollifying of that Colonel Panic guy.)

Anyway--so far so Good. At 1 Hr. and counting.
New I uninstalled Java entirely some time last year.
Never missed it.
New I used it briefly.
The video saving site KeepVid uses a Java plugin. Then I found an Opera extension that puts a download on Youtube pages, so I don't need Keepvid anymore. :-D

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Ditto.
New Now Vegemite- (and Java-) Free browser household.
SInce I do none of the tasks mentioned in Box's mini-list: might as well Nuke (Java) from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.. (to coin a phrase.)
Last (nice!) factoids, over 23 hours--as result of the unKnowable OS X intestinal tweaks:

Machine now back to early Speed; idle stays near 100% and Free mem drops only so long as a new URL eats some.. goes back up when that is nuked.
Shouldn't need Swap until I d/l a .pdf of War & Peace and the New Zombie Menace in 3-D Excessovision.

Given that Safari Build #s are unchanged, seems obvious that (a surmise, of course) enough Fanbois carped about Safari's terminal swap-happiness and
... Corporate fixed something in the OS. Even this 'old' version !?
Kudos Apple! (if this is approx. correct.)

Thanks fer yer immoral support ;^>

New Conclusion, after 3.0 days: Update *fixed* Safari problems.
All previous symptoms are abated; Free Mem remains clearly a ƒ(opened pages) and is stable.
High %CPU-usage as result of internal thrashing-overhead is gone, after months of s l o w
%Idle is 97-100% (when er, not processing a new task, of course.)

Nice. This iMac still rates its epaulets and DSO-with-crossed-palm-fronds.
(Even the earlier, very-occasional video-bars phenom has not recurred since I increased fan-speeds; it almost Had to be temp-related, I thought. Still do.

The GPU and (separate) GPU Diode sensors + iStat== exact relevant info.
iStat: remains (to me) best add-on Real Info evah! (even for newbies, if they are coached re using SMCfancontrol and Why.)
iStat==don't boot a Mac Without It.

OS X: Java, Security Update - (Ashton) - (10)
         Best Java security update: turn it off in the browser - (malraux) - (3)
             I revised results, in last few minutes.. - (Ashton)
             long as you don't need to book a room, flight, bank apps etc -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 I do all of those things. - (malraux)
         Re: OS X: Java, Security Update; Think I see what they did: - (Ashton)
         I uninstalled Java entirely some time last year. - (pwhysall) - (3)
             I used it briefly. - (static)
             Ditto. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Now Vegemite- (and Java-) Free browser household. - (Ashton)
         Conclusion, after 3.0 days: Update *fixed* Safari problems. - (Ashton)

But it makes such great fish bait!
118 ms