IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New RIP Ed Iocabucci
http://www.theatlant...iacobucci/277130/

Five years ago, I had an article in the magazine about the latest startup scheme by Ed Iacobucci -- who by that time, in his 50s, had a long string of startup and other tech-world successes behind him. He was a co-founder of Citrix; he had been a major figure at IBM during its undervalued OS/2 era; and when I met him he had started a company called DayJet, designed to offer a not-just-for-plutocrats alternative to the hell of normal commercial air travel. You can read many more of Iacobucci's thoughts on technology and innovation in the article.

I learned just now that Ed Iacobucci had died, of pancreatic cancer, at age 59. Perhaps the greatest reward of the reportorial life is the people you meet along the way. I really enjoyed getting to know, and learning from, Ed Iacobucci. I encourage you to read more about his achievements and legacy here, here, here (source of the photo above) here, here, and elsewhere. He was a remarkably creative, determined, and big-hearted man. Best wishes to his family. And, here is a photo from my Atlantic article, of Ed Iacobucci at the white board as he refined plans for his DayJet company:

(Pancreatic cancer took Jobs, too.)

RIP Ed.

Cheers,
Scott.
New T'is a great shame!
While at IBM, I heard one of his pitches on a trip to IBM's Boca Raton lab. One of the things he had said was that Microsoft had been sabotaging the OS/2 project by going to the IBM's corporate management, showing the technically challenged clowns some wiz-bang Windows demo thing and then suggesting there was no need for OS/2. Well, OS/2 was a large expensive project and the bean counters took notice.

I still have Iacobucci's "OS/2 Programmer's Guide" and it has a Forward written by by Bill Gates in November of 1987: "I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating system and possibly program, of all time. As a successor to DOS, which has over 10,000,000 systems in use, it creates incredible opportunities for everyone involved with PCs.

..."

Fscking snake in the grass!
Alex
     RIP Ed Iocabucci - (Another Scott) - (1)
         T'is a great shame! - (a6l6e6x)

The names have been changed to protect the innocent.
30 ms