IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New nice point Mr. Putin
http://rt.com/news/p...sting-center-530/
Putin pointed out that the West is supporting some certain organizations that are fighting Assad in Syria, and they are countering "those very same groups" in Mali.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New I wish my dad had lived long enough to see this.
“Such methods are in demand. But you can’t just listen to the phone call in Russia; you need a special order from court. This is how this should be done in civilized society while tackling terrorism with the use of any technical means. If it is in the framework of the law, then it’s ok. If not it is unacceptable,” Putin said answering the question of RT’s Editor-in-Chief Margarita Simonyan. Commenting on Obama’s statement that “You can’t have 100 per cent security and 100 per cent privacy,” Putin disagreed, saying it is possible if done within the law.

Russia said it could consider the possibility of granting political asylum to 29-year-old Edward Snowden, if such request is made. The ex-CIA worker disclosed the existence of PRISM, the National Security Agency’s (NSA) massive data-mining surveillance program, to The Guardian.

“If we receive such a request, we will consider it,” President Vladimir Putin's press secretary Dmitry Peskov said.

An American seeking political asylum in Russia. </that's all folks>
New The Soviet Union hadthe world's most democratic constitution
Really, honestly, they did. How much that actually mattered... Well, how much do you think? This was the Soviet Union! The same Soviet Union in whose Committee of State Security -- Komitet Gosudarstvenoj Besopasnostnij, K.G.B. -- Vladimir Putin rose through the ranks.

So I'd take his opinions on how things should be done in a civilized society with quite a large pinch of salt, and look more to how things are actually done in mr Putin's Russia, regardless of any high-faluting pronouncements of the president or paragraphs of the constitution.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Vladimir Putin: Ring thief.
http://www.balloon-j...-brassy-knuckles/

The New York Post reports that he [New England Patriots' owner Robert Kraft] described the incident to the crowd at Carnegie Hall’s Medal of Excellence gala on Friday night [in 2005]. “I took out the [Superbowl championship] ring and showed it to [Putin], and he put it on and he goes, ‘I can kill someone with this ring.‘ I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out,” he explained. Kraft’s attempt to get the 124-diamond bauble back were thwarted by representatives from the Bush the administration, who told him, “‘It would really be in the best interest of US-Soviet relations if you meant to give the ring as a present.’” And there you have it.

It's from the NY Post so one has to be skeptical, but it fits with Putin's character - at least how he's generally portrayed in the US press...

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'm well aware of that.
Remember I celebrated my 10th birthday with my 4th class Soviet classmates in Kiev. ;0)

But the world we live in today makes the possibility of his requesting political asylym a bit more than the old Pravda's propaganda. Of course Putin is being disingenuous. But the stench of that dishonesty from him is, well to me at least, a bit softer than it would have been from Breshnev.

If I repeat myself, apologies, but the thing I remember most about news back then was that we lived in California at the time. The Tate murders (Charlie Manson's tribe) occurred when we were in the Soviet Union (I think Leningrad, but that might not be right). At any rate, Pravda printed the story on the front page and ran it for several days. But the Russians we talked to did not believe it. They told us, "You cannot believe such a thing happened. Such things never happen in America. You cannot believe anything you read in Pravda." They honestly believed that the Tate murders were a fiction that Pravda had written. So, even when Pravda printed pravda (the Truth) the people wouldn't believe it. This was stunning to me because I came from the country with the "free press" and my experiences living in Russia had taught me that my country's "free press" printed nothing but lies about the Soviet people and Americans believed every word. (My late father, who loved Russia and was fluent in the language, was fond of saying, "If you want to discredit the Soviet Union, you don't need to make things up. And if you do, you undercut your own credibility.")

I've known since I was 9 what the Soviet Constitution said and that the government of the Soviet Union paid little heed to it. But I've also known that our own government was not without flaw. The thing that's "new" today, imo, is how much like 1969's flavor of the USSR we have become.
New Kleptocrats lie.
What counts is what he does. He would sell his mother.
Alex
     nice point Mr. Putin - (boxley) - (5)
         I wish my dad had lived long enough to see this. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             The Soviet Union hadthe world's most democratic constitution - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 Vladimir Putin: Ring thief. - (Another Scott)
                 I'm well aware of that. - (mmoffitt)
         Kleptocrats lie. - (a6l6e6x)

I know kung fu.
72 ms