IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This...
This is the reason I don't mix releases with one exception Unstable plus Experimental.

I just run SID/Unstable 100% of the time. Eliminating most all of any problems.

I've only had one issue in the last few years that re-occurs. nVidia Modules not available with the kernel... at least initially.

a run through M-A... and all good.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Was expecting fun & games with the home PC
But the problem with laptop #2 occurred with an almost clean Squeeze install. I traded Gnome for KDE with an upgrade to current before switching the sources to Wheezy.
New Yeah...
I've read some people just have had problem after problem after problem with the upgrades across multiple machines.

Personally, I dunno if it is bad luck or habits or just plain bad testing on Debian's part...

You'd think that considering how large Debian is, they'd have a lot of width on the variations being tested.

I guess stuff I do isn't out of the ordinary.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Run through M-A
can you elaborate? I get that issue too. I solve it by un- and re-installing the nvidia drivers, and now always check before kernel upgrades in case there's a new nvidia driver package out. If there's a better method, I'd love to hear it.
New Re: Run through M-A
Ok... If there is a new kernel.

Very recent kernels, the build daemons that build for non-free aren't as "fast and furious". This means they are behind 99.9% of the time. Sometimes a week or more passes without it making it through the process without error requiring a manual tweak... as we know nVidia stuff is a bane to existence in the open source world... as noted by Linus Torvalds "eff you nVidia" rant a while ago.

This mean, that you then have a new kernel and new nvidia sources, but not any binary package available for install from the repositories.

We basically go through, requiring build packages:

module-assistant [options] COMMAND [ packages ]

I just use "m-a" which is an alias for "module-assistant", and I go through the menu system.

You've got to "update, prepare, get(package), build(package), install(package)"

And voila, I get my binary nVidia .deb for my kernel.

Restart my "display manager" (being LightDM currently) and whammo, it works again.

Of course, I have a supported Video card with the "nvidia-current" or just plain "nvidia", so YMMV on the older unsupported (by nVidia) nVidia video cards.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
Expand Edited by folkert June 3, 2013, 02:10:40 PM EDT
New Using the nVidia installer these days
I've found it to be more reliable as all pieces belong to the same version. If a kernel upgrade breaks the current build, I just rerun the installer.

Prior to that, I usually ended up with DRI problems sooner or later because it was near impossible to keep the version constraints between the free and non-free parts lined up.

"Prior" was >5 years ago, so this situation may have improved since then.
New Agreed...
5 plus years ago... nothing worked very well with the non-free stuff.

Since Debian committed to dealing with Firmware and blobs in a more sane manner... they have actually solved 99% of the issues that were seen.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
     Wheezing - (scoenye) - (9)
         Ouch. Thanks for the detailed report. Best of luck! -NT - (Another Scott)
         What a PITA! Sorry to hear of it! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         This... - (folkert) - (6)
             Was expecting fun & games with the home PC - (scoenye) - (1)
                 Yeah... - (folkert)
             Run through M-A - (jake123) - (3)
                 Re: Run through M-A - (folkert)
                 Using the nVidia installer these days - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Agreed... - (folkert)

Fall not in love therefore; it will stick to your face.
65 ms