IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's not quite so simple...
As I understand it, some of the later upgrades have 64-bitness that the slightly older 32-bit machines can't run.

Yes, one should keep up with OS updates, but it often isn't practical on slightly older machines. (Though the definition of "slightly" is being stretched by this usage.)

Or, if you need Rosetta (to run PPC apps) then later OS X versions are a no-no.

Ashton - the place to check is EveryMac - http://www.everymac....c/index-imac.html

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is still on 10.6.8 on his Mac Mini Server 2.66 because the Server upgrades sounded scary).
New The issue you point out...
Some of the very first machines with Core2Duo processors are not "compatible" with Mountain Lion.

What? They are 64-bit machines! It is an arbitrary selection from Apple what is and is not supported. If he is on 10.6.X, Rosetta compatibility is already heavily diminished. In 10.7... even more so.

I've looked into this *A LOT* more than you realize AS. I stand by my words and recommendations.

And, YES it is that simple.

And Yes, you are scared for the wrong reasons about your "server".

Now granted if your server was 1500 miles away (like all of my work ones), that would be different. Or even 2 hours driving time away (like my personal one) that would also be scary... You have console access. That is not a big problem.

You really need to buck up, soon.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Meh. :-)
No doubt you've looked at it a lot.

A Snow Leopard Server to Lion Server upgrade wasn't a "1-click thing and everything was the same but only better and more shiny". http://forums.macrum...ead.php?t=1165251 I don't know if Mountain Lion even has a "Server" edition any more - I haven't looked at it.

I don't have time to mess with figuring out all the details like that. So, until I have to, I'm not changing the Server OS on my my Mini Server. It's not visible on the internet. If it were, I'd be much more concerned about keeping it updated.

I'll probably just buy a new Mini when/if it comes time to do a major update - it's probably faster and better all around.

YMMV.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The reason there no longer is...
"server version" is that they eliminated the restrictions on the machines.

Plus they no longer have the X-Serve... which means they had to make it possible for many machines to connect to others.

And Yes, some X-Serve machines are eligible for upgrade to Mountain Lion.

And Yes, things aren't going to south on you.

If you wait until it has to happen... you *WON'T* have the time for it then either, but then you'll be forced and all the good will will be gone, because the forums will be full of angst when *everyone* is forced to do it.

If you do it now... its still a common complaint/question in the forums, but at least nobody is super roaring pissed about the issue and posting in all caps and others aren't avoiding the question like the plague.

Your choice in the matter always. But sooner is better.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Gracias. EveryMac rocks.
(Answered my query re memory in the Insanely-thin newer 21/5" iMacs too:
http://www.everymac....ros-and-cons.html

ie. no Firewire 800 [no biggie for mere backups]
no bloody optical drive [PITA]
Apple does not support end-user RAM upgrades on the 21.5-Inch models at all. It is neverthless possible, it is just needlessly difficult.
And:
The hard drive and processor both are difficult to upgrade.
Costs more than previous..

ie They want even-More of our Money and.. I continue to wonder re TEMPS inside that cutesy too-tiny enclosure, esp. given what I found in my '08 Model A1224 showing for GPU temp--default. Sans smcFanCtrl, in summer this sucker would have cooked that most-fragile of the guts chips!

It certainly is unfortunate that Apple decided to make it so difficult to upgrade the RAM on the 21.5-Inch model. In particular, using adhesive to attach the display to the chassis -- rather than magnets like previous Aluminum iMac models -- is a design decision that is inelegant at best. As Apple does not consider the RAM in the 21.5-Inch "Late 2012" and "Early 2013" iMac models to be a "customer installable part," EveryMac.com cannot recommend that users perform the upgrade themselves.

Most interested in the 21.5-Inch model likely should instead consider upgrading the RAM at the time of purchase -- which unfortunately means paying a higher upfront price overall due to a significant markup on RAM -- or alternately hiring a professional to perform the upgrade.

If it is important to you to be able to upgrade the RAM yourself, particularly as higher capacity memory modules may become available in the future, you may instead prefer to avoid the 21.5-Inch "Late 2012" and "Early 2013" iMac models altogether in favor of the 27-Inch "Late 2012" model or instead purchase an earlier 21.5-Inch iMac model on the used market with RAM that is easy to upgrade.

Well, I can manage to disembowel the sucker (new sticky tape == Where Get?) ..but the mech. inept had best not DIY.
But my TEMP question remains unanswered re the '11/'12-up small iMacs..

DAMN.. this means I gotta keep this iMac alive as long as possible, as Apple slouches towards Beastware-grade greed and cuteness über Practicality. :-/ :-/
     Safari.. leaking like a sieve for you, too? - (Ashton) - (22)
         clearing out your history regularly are you? - (boxley)
         I don't use Safari. - (folkert) - (18)
             Several of my machines won't even support 10.7 :-P -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                 Check you out, with your hipster retro Macs. -NT - (pwhysall)
             V. 10.6.8 - (Ashton) - (15)
                 It is NOT annual OS replacement... - (folkert) - (10)
                     and the shortness tween 10.7 and 10.8... - (folkert)
                     It's not quite so simple... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         The issue you point out... - (folkert) - (2)
                             Meh. :-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 The reason there no longer is... - (folkert)
                         Gracias. EveryMac rocks. - (Ashton)
                     Thanks for run-down on the lot.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                         If you go to Lion... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             Agreed. - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Physical media - (malraux)
                 You probably have an iMac8,1 - (malraux) - (3)
                     On the flip side... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         It does seem that way, doesn't it... - (malraux)
                     Yes, Model A1224 - (Ashton)
         On the leaking... - (Another Scott)
         Thanks all, for the decent perspectives.. - (Ashton)

Yes, no, maybe so.
74 ms