IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Most of us keep up on...
Current events.

Thanks for the post, but remember who we are, please.

While these events are tragic, we don't typically post about them, as most of the time this place is used to escape the drudge (except boxley... he loves the drudge report)

Anyway, thanks Brenda!

Greg, who also lives in Michigan (which is it's own Tornado-something... since we get a handful of them every year)
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Sorry, I didn't know that you usually don't post about it.
The main point of my posting it, is that there has been the weirdest weather lately, storms worse than ever, tornadoes that are more destructive then ever, ripping up huge paths hundreds of miles wide...I have never seen a town flattened before until it flattened Joplin. And hurricane Sandy, that was unbelievable!

It's like Mother Nature has gotten high and is having a really bad trip!

Haven't heard many theories on why the weather has gotten so out of control, some people cite global warming, and others say it's signs that say the end is near.

Brenda

Expand Edited by Nightowl May 16, 2013, 06:25:02 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl May 16, 2013, 07:47:02 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl May 16, 2013, 07:48:31 PM EDT
New I'm fine with posts like that
Greg speaks for himself, not everyone... ;-)

I actually hadn't heard about the tornadoes.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: I'm fine with posts like that
Thanks, Scott.

The wildest part about the Hazelwood tornado we had here on April 10th, was a prayer I prayed on the way to the basement. I yelled to John, where is it, where is it, and he told me the corner of Lynn Haven and Howdershell. I said Oh my God! Please keep Debra and AJ and their little pharmacy safe!

We had no power for over 25 hours, so we went to the mall the next day, and I was stunned to read a headline on my Ipod Touch about AJ being in the pharmacy filling prescriptions when it hit. But I couldn't find a picture of the damage to it, and I really tried. There were pictures of the other stores in the little plaza, not his.

2 days later, I drove up Howdershell, and gasped in astonishment. The stores around the pharmacy had all their glass shattered and everything, but the pharmacy store window was intact, untouched. That was why there was no picture, there was no damage!

I was blown away, literally, that it wasn't destroyed. I don't know if my prayer helped, but it was a astonishing sight to see it.

Tornadoes are so freaky, they hit and miss all over the place, and you can't even begin to guess what they can do next.

Brenda

P.S. BTW April 10th was our 14th wedding anniversary, and we exchanged cards in the basement by flashlight. ;)
Expand Edited by Nightowl May 16, 2013, 07:49:49 PM EDT
New Congrats on the anniversary
Our 21st is coming up this year.

I'm glad to be out of most of the tornado nastiness of the Midwest. We don't get much damaging stuff up here other than the occasional ice storm. Fringes of everything from earthquakes to fires to tornadoes, but moderate in intensity.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I hadn't heard of the tornado's either, post what you like
dont pay attention to granny greg unless it interests you.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New I've noticed, over the years . . .
. . that some participants on this site have been rudely intolerant of posts by women.

That could be why we usually don't have any of them here. They don't need to put up with that kind of bull-pucky.
New No worries...
Andrew wrote:>>I've noticed, over the years . . . . . that some participants on this site have been rudely intolerant of posts by women. That could be why we usually don't have any of them here. They don't need to put up with that kind of bull-pucky.<<

Well, I promise you something, this woman has changed a LOT. I don't put up with ANY Bull pucky anymore from no one. ;)

Brenda
greg@gregfolkert.net
New There were actually 16 confirmed in TX.
One E4 alone destroyed possibly hundreds of houses, and had a wind speed of 200 miles per hour...

Amazingly, the warnings went out early enough that there were not too many killed, which was another miracle in itself.

Brenda
. . paleometeorologists published studies showing that climate changes weren't gradual as had always been presumed, but rather sudden - and the transition periods were accompanied by very wild and erratic weather, until the new norm settled down.

Nobody paid any attention to them, except the insurance companies, who expressed considerable interest.

We are now in a period of climate change. Expect it to continue rather quickly, accompanied by plenty of wild weather - and high insurance rates.
New No kidding!
In the St. Louis area and many surroundings areas, people are being flooded who didn't originally live in a Flood plain. Because they weren't already insured as to be living in a flood plain, they aren't able to get insurance to cover the damage. It's listed as an uninsured Act Of God.
Edit:(Sorry had the wrong term before, so I fixed it).

Go figure.

Brenda
Expand Edited by Nightowl May 16, 2013, 11:05:46 PM EDT
New Any idea about some search terms to find that study?
New The IPCC might have the information.
Maybe start here: http://www.ipcc.ch/p...1/en/ch3s3-8.html

HTH a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'm sorry if I sounded...
condescending.

Its just that, I come here to be distracted from much inane jibberish which usually follows a post like that, in my of my other forums I frequent.

By inane jibberish, many of the "me too"-isms, the "I'm sorry this happened", "welcome to real life" etc... posts. I'm sick and tired of the "Look at me, I'm so pretty" crowds. It was just a reaction after having just having to wade through thousands of those posts... trying to get some real info on the disaster and the efforts to help the people out. All I found were people offering to help, when they really don't mean it.

I guess I need to pull back a bit again, focus on work, rather than other endeavors for a while.

Again, mu apology for being gruff and condescending.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Look at me, I'm so *pretty*
No, seriously.

I've just had my hair cut and I tell you, I'm stylin'.
New ...
Really?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New The French say all Brit guys are pretty.
New Say what you like about the French...
...they know style when they see it.

>smooths hair<
>swishes cape<
New smilin' bob
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Pics or GTFO

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
New Oops, Dupe...ignore.

Expand Edited by Nightowl May 17, 2013, 12:52:52 PM EDT
New No Problem, Greg. :)
Just do what I do, read what you care about, and when it becomes something you would rather not read, just stop. :) Believe me, I don't read everything in here, even if I had time, because a lot of it is beyond my ability to comprehend.

I'm more or less fascinated by this run of wildly severe weather than anything else. We even had a really huge ice/snowstorm that shut down some of our major highways, something I'd never seen before in St. Louis.

Plus I finally had no less than two tornado disasters right in my immediate area, and once you have to drive through those hard hit areas on a daily basis, you have a brand new appreciation for the power of Nature.

You were just voicing your opinion, and everyone's entitled to those. :)

No worries.

Brenda
         Most of us keep up on... - (folkert) - (22)
             Sorry, I didn't know that you usually don't post about it. - (Nightowl) - (21)
                 I'm fine with posts like that - (malraux) - (2)
                     Re: I'm fine with posts like that - (Nightowl) - (1)
                         Congrats on the anniversary - (malraux)
                 I hadn't heard of the tornado's either, post what you like - (boxley) - (4)
                     I've noticed, over the years . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         No worries... - (Nightowl)
                         Nice Generalization there. -NT - (folkert)
                     There were actually 16 confirmed in TX. - (Nightowl)
                 20 years ago or so . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     No kidding! - (Nightowl)
                     Any idea about some search terms to find that study? -NT - (jake123) - (1)
                         The IPCC might have the information. - (Another Scott)
                 I'm sorry if I sounded... - (folkert) - (8)
                     Look at me, I'm so *pretty* - (pwhysall) - (5)
                         ... - (folkert) - (3)
                             The French say all Brit guys are pretty. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                 Say what you like about the French... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     smilin' bob -NT - (boxley)
                         Pics or GTFO -NT - (lincoln)
                     Oops, Dupe...ignore. - (Nightowl)
                     No Problem, Greg. :) - (Nightowl)

The ice cream truck in the neighborhood plays "Helter Skelter".
93 ms