IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: I'll end up with CloudFormation, yes
Sounds like you have it figured. As long as you can get the thing to auto build when stuff comes online you're golden. No more hand building servers.
New hmm, must be getting old
everything downstream of /foo
newbuild foo.tarball
stage all newbuilds in /tmp on every server via a global push
in mtc window, globally mv /foo/target /foo/target.$DATE
globally mv /tmp/foo.tarball /foo
tar xvf foo.tarball
globally or rolling restart foo.app

how is it done nowadays?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New The problem is IP address
In AWS a new instance will come up with a different IP then it had before, unless you're using VPC and managing IP addresses manually (or scripted preferably).

But instead of doing a bunch of autodiscovery crap and copying tarballs everywhere, just change the underlying instance image once, run your deploy tests on that maintenance image, and then simply restart all the active VMs to get the new stuff.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
Expand Edited by malraux May 4, 2013, 02:08:41 PM EDT
New this stuff?
http://aws.amazon.com/console/
looks way better that the crapaud large telco cloud hosting service uses.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Yep.
The nice thing about AWS is that everything in that console can be scripted with your choice of language, too.

Most (if not all) of the major configuration management tools support AWS out of the box as well.

They have a free account level that provides a single instance, DB, load balancer, pretty much everything in the product catalog free for a year if you feel like playing around with it.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New might do that, thanks
New Re: The problem is IP address
Yep - most requested feature at REINVENT was ability to assign elastic IP to load balancer.

That would simplify a LOT of stuff.
     My latest project - (TB D) - (20)
         So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (19)
             Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (12)
                 Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (11)
                     Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (10)
                         Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (9)
                             Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (8)
                                 I'll end up with CloudFormation, yes - (malraux) - (7)
                                     Re: I'll end up with CloudFormation, yes - (TB D) - (6)
                                         hmm, must be getting old - (boxley) - (5)
                                             The problem is IP address - (malraux) - (4)
                                                 this stuff? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                     Yep. - (malraux) - (1)
                                                         might do that, thanks -NT - (boxley)
                                                 Re: The problem is IP address - (TB D)
             Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (5)
                 Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (4)
                     Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (3)
                         Android is a boil on my bottom - (malraux) - (2)
                             Re: Android is a boil on my bottom - (TB D) - (1)
                                 Re: Android is a boil on my bottom - (malraux)

Those are German nouns, so they must always be capitalized.
105 ms