Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Or how about a nice high-gloss white?"
--

Drew
New >:-)
New Whuh?
Remember those oak tongue and groove floor boards I ripped up from the Craig's List house?

We will be staining the window frames and those boards the same color, somewhat dark. We will use the same color for the floor after it gets sanded.

After the windows are stained, but before we do the floor, the room will be patched and painted royal blue. Ceiling too. We only have to paint the top 1/2 of the room, and any mess I've been making under that level will be ignored.

Then we do the floor.

Then I run 3 boards horizontally around the room (on the floor, at 2 feet, and at 4 feet) to be used as anchor points for the oak "flooring" (now walling).

Those oak boards will be placed on all walls around the room, positioned vertically, 4 feet high. There will no longer be any floor base boards, the oak will go to the floor, and I will cut holes for outlets into them. We will run a pretty board along the top to cap it off.

We have 2 3x5 mirrors (craig's list, FREE) to be placed behind the bed, and I will do the smaller 1x1 squares for the rest of the wall and 2 feet around the corner. In order to place the large mirrors (horizontally), I will place a 2x4 (stained to match, possibly with a bit of wood scroll work) along the wall at the top of the oak. I will cut a lip into it to rest the mirror on. I will place another 2x4 (these 2x4s will be ANCHORED into the concrete wall) above the mirror, with lips both on bottom and top to lock in the mirror and rest another above. I'll put another above that to lock it in, and then ceiling is there.

Any real suggestions or variations?
Expand Edited by crazy April 28, 2013, 05:03:58 PM EDT
New Obviously your way is better
I'm not yet in a house I want to keep long enough to be worth that effort.
--

Drew
New Are you still in the house I visited you at?
Sure was a pretty bathroom with the various scraps pasted to the wall.
New That's the one
Great house, shitty schools.
--

Drew
New Yeah, I remember that decision
Hmm, pay 1/2 as much for a house and send them to private school, or spend double, and they go to a good local one.

Now I'm DONE.
New We're looking for option B right now
And trying to get her parents on board with moving with us. We know we're going to end up taking care of them within 5 years anyway, makes more sense to sell both houses and get something we'll all be comfortable in.

And we've only got a year left before high school, when the price for the schools goes *WAY* up.
--

Drew
     Paint stripping - (crazy) - (42)
         Lots of elbow grease. - (Another Scott) - (26)
             Lead paint? Pheh, I laugh at it - (crazy) - (2)
                 So *that's* how you got your handle, eh? ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     So lead -> crazy || mercury -> mad ? -NT - (drook)
             Have you ever used a heat gun? - (crazy) - (22)
                 I suspect they do that on home repair shows - (drook) - (3)
                     You can't afford Bob with a dental pick - (crazy) - (1)
                         It was on Nantucket - (drook)
                     On the other hand - (crazy)
                 Yes. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                     Festool - (jake123) - (1)
                         rofl. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Note to self - stripper eats nitrile gloves - (crazy) - (14)
                         Good to know -NT - (drook) - (13)
                             Yeah, it's bad. Hey AS - (crazy) - (12)
                                 Here's what I've been able to find. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                     Thanks - (crazy) - (10)
                                         Ok, 1st one done - (crazy) - (9)
                                             You're a good man. I'm sure she appreciates it. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             "Or how about a nice high-gloss white?" -NT - (drook) - (7)
                                                 >:-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                 Whuh? - (crazy) - (5)
                                                     Obviously your way is better - (drook) - (4)
                                                         Are you still in the house I visited you at? - (crazy) - (3)
                                                             That's the one - (drook) - (2)
                                                                 Yeah, I remember that decision - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                     We're looking for option B right now - (drook)
         Re: Paint stripping - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Too bad it won't work for you anymore - (crazy) - (1)
                 No need. We had our windows replaced years ago. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         DOT3/4 brake fluid >:-) -NT - (scoenye)
         Floor mostly gone - (crazy) - (10)
             Hog-nose pliers - (drook) - (1)
                 +1 on that -NT - (folkert)
             not pliers, nippers - (boxley) - (7)
                 Yes, cutters is the way to go. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                     Yeah, been using the cutters - (crazy) - (5)
                         Awl ... pound 'em down -NT - (drook)
                         Air nailer projectiles - (scoenye) - (3)
                             Agreed. Drilling is a bad idea. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Got it - (crazy)
                             Yes... - (malraux)

They may disagree on who is an idiot, but they agree that most are.
132 ms