IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Android is a boil on my bottom
While ICS and Jelly Bean are definitely better, the unfortunate fact is that almost half of the Android devices out there are still running 2.x, which doesn't bode well for writing and distributing Android apps strictly in HTML/CSS/Javascript. That figure likely doesn't take into account Kindle Fire's, either, since it's drawn from Play store statistics.

Speaking of which, I'm also tired of dealing with all of the different store APIs and notification platforms on Android.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: Android is a boil on my bottom
You may well find that the native code doesn't perform much better. I have taken a run at the fence with native code on Android for a different app - I wasn't any happier with the native version and it was harder to write.

I haven't quite figured out the store thing apart from Google and Amazon. OTOH, you can just stick a link to an apk file on a web page and people can install that way. Our app is free (for now) so we aren't too worried about it. I think we will just do Google Play and Amazon and a link on our website - at least at first.

I belong to the mobile apps group on linked in and a recent poll asked people which platform they preferred and the overwhelming response was iOS because those people are fine with spending money where the Android crowd is a bunch of cheap bastards that just pirate your stuff anyhow.

Also - the level of malware on Anrdoid is pretty high.
New Re: Android is a boil on my bottom
I am unsurprised at that reaction. We saw an order of magnitude more sales in the Apple store over Play, Amazon, and NOOK combined.

I don't have the patience for the Android stuff as a user. I don't feel the need to upgrade my phone by hand or tune the OS at all.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     My latest project - (TB D) - (20)
         So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (19)
             Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (12)
                 Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (11)
                     Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (10)
                         Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (9)
                             Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (8)
                                 I'll end up with CloudFormation, yes - (malraux) - (7)
                                     Re: I'll end up with CloudFormation, yes - (TB D) - (6)
                                         hmm, must be getting old - (boxley) - (5)
                                             The problem is IP address - (malraux) - (4)
                                                 this stuff? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                     Yep. - (malraux) - (1)
                                                         might do that, thanks -NT - (boxley)
                                                 Re: The problem is IP address - (TB D)
             Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (5)
                 Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (4)
                     Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (3)
                         Android is a boil on my bottom - (malraux) - (2)
                             Re: Android is a boil on my bottom - (TB D) - (1)
                                 Re: Android is a boil on my bottom - (malraux)

I think mushrooms are like steroids in this. See how you get bigger and stronger?
55 ms