IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX?
RE; DJango - I mucked with it for about six months a couple years ago and found it to be kind of like wordpress. I couldn't get any traction in it.

RE: PhoneGap

You're thinking about it wrong. Its just a bridge technology from html to native code. Learn to write your own plugins - they are very easy. Don't like the media controls? Write your own. I think Privix stands as a pretty good example of just how far HTML/CSS/JS apps have come. I can write them faster and better looking than native code now.

The Oakland As parking app uses a bluetooth printer made by Zebra that has a CC reader on it. There is a busted assed Java api for it (that I decompiled and fixed) and then I wrote a Phonegap plugin to access it. This is MUCH LESS work that writing a whole native app and you get Android and iOS at the same time (except for the plugin code which you have to rewrite - this is a small amount of work). I was lucky the ZXing barcode reader plugin worked already but you shouldn't hesitate to write your own plugs.
RE; DJango - I mucked with it for about six months a couple years ago and found it to be kind of like wordpress. I couldn't get any traction in it.

Things change a lot in a couple of years. I've built entire mobile backend websites with nary an HTML page over the space of a day or two using Django, complete with admin interface.

You're thinking about it wrong. Its just a bridge technology from html to native code. Learn to write your own plugins - they are very easy.

That's certainly an option. Android 2.x is probably going to suck with Phonegap no matter what though.

We've had some issues with media queries and such on the phones too, but I assume that's all surmountable too.

I'll definitely check it out more though, thanks.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
Android 2.x sucks. No doubt. The scroll performance in the browser is crap - no hardware acceleration. It barely works for my cash register app - but it does work. I avoid scrolling in it though.

OTOH, Icecream Sandwich is kind of the standard - the scrolling is still weak (heck the graphics are weak overall) but not insurmountable.

I honestly don't know why people buy those things. They suck compared to an iPhone. But I do like the open nature of them for custom device development.

New Android is a boil on my bottom
While ICS and Jelly Bean are definitely better, the unfortunate fact is that almost half of the Android devices out there are still running 2.x, which doesn't bode well for writing and distributing Android apps strictly in HTML/CSS/Javascript. That figure likely doesn't take into account Kindle Fire's, either, since it's drawn from Play store statistics.

Speaking of which, I'm also tired of dealing with all of the different store APIs and notification platforms on Android.
Regards,
-scott
New Re: Android is a boil on my bottom
You may well find that the native code doesn't perform much better. I have taken a run at the fence with native code on Android for a different app - I wasn't any happier with the native version and it was harder to write.

I haven't quite figured out the store thing apart from Google and Amazon. OTOH, you can just stick a link to an apk file on a web page and people can install that way. Our app is free (for now) so we aren't too worried about it. I think we will just do Google Play and Amazon and a link on our website - at least at first.

I belong to the mobile apps group on linked in and a recent poll asked people which platform they preferred and the overwhelming response was iOS because those people are fine with spending money where the Android crowd is a bunch of cheap bastards that just pirate your stuff anyhow.

Also - the level of malware on Anrdoid is pretty high.
New Re: Android is a boil on my bottom
I am unsurprised at that reaction. We saw an order of magnitude more sales in the Apple store over Play, Amazon, and NOOK combined.

I don't have the patience for the Android stuff as a user. I don't feel the need to upgrade my phone by hand or tune the OS at all.
Regards,
-scott
     My latest project - (TB D) - (20)
         So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (19)
             Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (12)
                 Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (11)
                     Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (10)
                         Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (9)
                             Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (8)
                                 I'll end up with CloudFormation, yes - (malraux) - (7)
                                     Re: I'll end up with CloudFormation, yes - (TB D) - (6)
                                         hmm, must be getting old - (boxley) - (5)
                                             The problem is IP address - (malraux) - (4)
                                                 this stuff? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                     Yep. - (malraux) - (1)
                                                         might do that, thanks -NT - (boxley)
                                                 Re: The problem is IP address - (TB D)
             Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (5)
                 Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (malraux) - (4)
                     Re: So using AWS directly via AJAX? - (TB D) - (3)
                         Android is a boil on my bottom - (malraux) - (2)
                             Re: Android is a boil on my bottom - (TB D) - (1)
                                 Re: Android is a boil on my bottom - (malraux)

In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit.
53 ms