IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dell FINALLY considering an AMD chip
[link|http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/friday/business_1.html|[link|http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/friday/business_1.html|http://www.austin36...iness_1.html]]

Dell will look into upcoming AMD chip
With Hammer processor, Advanced Micro Devices may win PC maker's loyalty
By Kirk Ladendorf

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, May 3, 2002

AMD inside Dell?

Advanced Micro Devices Inc. would like nothing better than to get its upcoming Hammer family of computer processors into Dell Computer Corp.'s computers.

Dell, alone among major computer makers, has stayed true to Intel Corp. It has used AMD chips only once, and that was 16 years ago.

But things might be different this time.

Industry analysts say that the powerful Hammer chips, which won't be in volume production until next year, appear to be a promising alternative to Intel's 64-bit Itanium chips, which are targeted at powerful network servers. So far, however, Itanium has been a disappointment, and the reviews have been less than glowing.

And Michael Dell, in speaking at an investment conference this week in San Francisco, said his company is interested in Hammer.

"We're very interested and we're looking, and there's not much more to say about it in public," Dell said, according to CNET.com, which reports on technology news.

Some industry analysts say Dell may just be trying to win concessions from Intel.

But if Dell were to buy Hammer chips, it would be a huge coup for AMD, and a major embarrassment for Intel. Their 20-year rivalry is one of the most intense in the tech industry.

AMD is promoting its new product vigorously and has provided some of the new chips to business allies and potential customers.

At the same conference where Dell spoke, AMD Chairman W.J. "Jerry" Sanders speculated that major computer makers will move away from Intel's Itanium technology because it is not compatible with existing Windows software. Computer buyers will have to purchase new 64-bit software to take advantage of Itanium.

AMD's Hammer, by comparison, can run existing 32-bit software programs or next-generation 64-bit programs.

"The Intel Itanium will be a failure because it doesn't obey the immutable laws of our industry," Sanders said, according to CNET, in reference to Itanium's lack of software compatibility. That leaves PC makers with only two options, Sanders said: Either adopt the Hammer chip for next-genera- tion servers or force Intel to produce a processor with a similar design that will run both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows programs.

According to computer industry rumor, Intel has such a chip -- code-named "Yamhill" -- under development in Oregon. Intel has not confirmed the existence of such a project, but says it is heavily committed to Itanium, with six Itanium-related projects in development.

Analysts say that if Intel introduced a processor similar in design to Hammer, it would not only undercut Itanium's standing, but it would be a huge embarrassment for the world's largest chip company, because Intel would be openly following the path that AMD has chosen.

Other major personal computer makers, including IBM Corp. and Hewlett-Packard Co. already are developing Itanium-based servers.

Some industry analysts are dubious about the possibility of Dell hooking up with AMD. Among other reasons, Dell's corporate customers are more trusting of Intel's chips, and Intel has traditionally given Dell early access to its most advanced chips, so that Dell can quickly introduce computers based on them.

"I will believe it the day I see a Dell announcement," said analyst Nathan Brookwood of Insight 64 in Saratoga, Calif. "Based on past results, it is very much a long shot."

He compares the AMD-Dell relationship to the comic-strip maneuvering of Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football. Every year, Lucy says she will hold the football for Charlie Brown to kick, and every year she tricks him and pulls the ball away. But Brookwood concedes that "there always is a first time. AMD continues to try, and so did Charlie Brown."
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
New I have more confidence in the comparison at the end
Charlie Brown and the football have a destiny. You know what it is.
Don't blame me. I voted with the majority.
New Yep, I remember reading that when Intel folks were...
visiting, Dell's receptionist's sign-in book would have on the open page a name and company == AMD in the book. It seems Intel would learn after a while. But, until then, Dell gets the lowest chip prices and AMD gets SWISH, WHUMP, ARGHHHH!
Alex

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." -- Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
     Dell FINALLY considering an AMD chip - (lincoln) - (2)
         I have more confidence in the comparison at the end - (Silverlock) - (1)
             Yep, I remember reading that when Intel folks were... - (a6l6e6x)

10 PRINT "HELLO LRPD"
20 GOTO 10

61 ms