IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You've been worried about inflation for, what, 5 years now?
New you have been underreporting for 6 years
give it two more years and the official inflation rate will be only pegged to the price of hot dogs at little league world series games
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Heh. We'll see.
The inflation monster has been nowhere to be seen in the US for obvious reasons.

The broadest measure of US inflation is probably the GDP Price Deflator.

http://research.stlo...F&log_scales=Left (slopes in log scales better show changes over time)

The index was 100 in 2005. It's now 116.1. That's less than 2% a year.

Why is inflation not a problem now?

1) Unemployment is too high.

2) Companies cannot pass on increased prices because there is too much slack in the economy. (Capacity utilization is too low.)

3) Money is too cheap - companies can borrow or issue stock or put up stock as collateral.

4) New household formation rates are very low (too many people are living in friends' basements and back home with their parents, so housing demand is low).

5) Too many people are worried about getting their principal back if they put it in a bond or in a bank. They're willing to pay the US Treasury to take their money (yields are negative in some cases).

There is no good fundamental reason for inflation to be high now. Big numbers on a Fed spreadsheet isn't reality.

Inflation won't be a problem until unemployment is below 5% and the other things above change. That won't be in 2 years.

Cheers,
Scott.
New You sound like the Boy that...
Cried Wolf... but have been for 5+ years... I think since before 2005.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
     Stabilizing prices in immoral. - (Another Scott) - (6)
         you mean like keeping interest rates at zero - (boxley) - (5)
             You've been worried about inflation for, what, 5 years now? -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 you have been underreporting for 6 years - (boxley) - (2)
                     Heh. We'll see. - (Another Scott)
                     You sound like the Boy that... - (folkert)
             Speaking of inflation, guess where "chained CPI" came from? - (Another Scott)

Hey... Pong. My parents played this game.
36 ms