IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Floor mostly gone
1st day M and I did a couple of sections. The rip up is EASY with the shingle shovels.
I got 2, a small and large, and use them at the same time to leverage up the whole plywood section.

But the left over 1/2 nails SUCK, maybe 15 per piece of hardwood. The top rips off and it is tough to leverage them out with pliers. There will be a bunch left over when done.

My PWW has ADHD and spent the last 2 hours ripping them out with deep focus. Yay.

I need them to be gone when I get to the sanding/polishing stage. I ASSUME I will drill them out, and then possibly hit it with a bit of wood putty. Anyone have any alternative suggestions?
New Hog-nose pliers
http://item.mobilewe...emId=160957557502
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook April 5, 2013, 12:26:27 PM EDT
New +1 on that
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New not pliers, nippers
http://www.aconcordc...ls-my-review.html
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Yes, cutters is the way to go.
I usually use a heavy duty wire cutter (8" long) with somewhat angled handles. Not as efficient as the NailJack, may have to rock it several times, but quite effective.

But yes, cutters is the way to go, not pliers. Cutters get a good grip (just be sure not to squeeze so hard as to actually cut the nail).
New Yeah, been using the cutters
But these are NOT nails.

They are skinny flat (seems to be aluminum) 1/2 head things.

The amount of pressure needed to grip and pull is USUALLY slightly less than the amount of pressure needed to cut into it, but not by much. So that means even with perfect care, I have at least 100 of these (out of thousand plus) with the slightest nub up, ungrippable, and a few with simply nothing but will show up during sanding.

So, once we've move past pulling them, what are my options other than many skinny drill bits (I'll be breaking them as they heat up).
New Awl ... pound 'em down
--

Drew
New Air nailer projectiles
Essentially one legged staples, the bottom section is grooved which is why it is so hard to get them out.

The best removal tool I have found so far is a set of Vise-Grips. Unlike nail pulling pliers, you can put a lot more pressure on without cutting through the stem. The rounded top section of the tool can be abused to provide the same action as nail puller pliers and because the diameter is larger (assuming a regular size set), you can pull longer before having to reset your grip.

If they are too close to the floor for the tool to catch, you can drive them below surface level with a nail set. These things are hardened. Drilling will likely do a bigger number on the floor as the bits will skip.
New Agreed. Drilling is a bad idea.
New Got it
Thanks
New Yes...
I've got a ChannelLock about the size of a large pipe wrench. There's very little it can't get out, given enough room to work.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     Paint stripping - (crazy) - (42)
         Lots of elbow grease. - (Another Scott) - (26)
             Lead paint? Pheh, I laugh at it - (crazy) - (2)
                 So *that's* how you got your handle, eh? ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     So lead -> crazy || mercury -> mad ? -NT - (drook)
             Have you ever used a heat gun? - (crazy) - (22)
                 I suspect they do that on home repair shows - (drook) - (3)
                     You can't afford Bob with a dental pick - (crazy) - (1)
                         It was on Nantucket - (drook)
                     On the other hand - (crazy)
                 Yes. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                     Festool - (jake123) - (1)
                         rofl. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Note to self - stripper eats nitrile gloves - (crazy) - (14)
                         Good to know -NT - (drook) - (13)
                             Yeah, it's bad. Hey AS - (crazy) - (12)
                                 Here's what I've been able to find. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                     Thanks - (crazy) - (10)
                                         Ok, 1st one done - (crazy) - (9)
                                             You're a good man. I'm sure she appreciates it. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             "Or how about a nice high-gloss white?" -NT - (drook) - (7)
                                                 >:-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                 Whuh? - (crazy) - (5)
                                                     Obviously your way is better - (drook) - (4)
                                                         Are you still in the house I visited you at? - (crazy) - (3)
                                                             That's the one - (drook) - (2)
                                                                 Yeah, I remember that decision - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                     We're looking for option B right now - (drook)
         Re: Paint stripping - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Too bad it won't work for you anymore - (crazy) - (1)
                 No need. We had our windows replaced years ago. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         DOT3/4 brake fluid >:-) -NT - (scoenye)
         Floor mostly gone - (crazy) - (10)
             Hog-nose pliers - (drook) - (1)
                 +1 on that -NT - (folkert)
             not pliers, nippers - (boxley) - (7)
                 Yes, cutters is the way to go. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                     Yeah, been using the cutters - (crazy) - (5)
                         Awl ... pound 'em down -NT - (drook)
                         Air nailer projectiles - (scoenye) - (3)
                             Agreed. Drilling is a bad idea. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Got it - (crazy)
                             Yes... - (malraux)

I expected him to strike up a game of chess with Satan and start muttering about strawberries.
140 ms