IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New up an odious creek sans paddle
tools available cmd prompt windows 7
570 small text files
one spread sheet that has a cell that needs to be populated by the contents of the small text files individually

now for %f in (*.txt) do type "%f" >> new.txt makes one large text file but out of order for the spreadsheet with no way to sort them out as the key is in the name of the file, not the contents

I have one day to figure it out or it is cut and paste for the next week
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Sounds like an ideal application for Python.
Grab Python 2.7.3 from here - http://www.python.org/download/

Grab the add-ons for ease of working with Excel sheets (including writing to them), here - http://www.python-excel.org/

You should be good to go very quickly.

OTOH, will "sort" help you? http://www.computerhope.com/sorthlp.htm

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is assuming you can install things like that on the machine in question, but realizes this is a bad assumption.)
New cannot use external software
I could wait a week until I get a linux vm but dont want to wait. It must be done with native windows 7 tools
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Will "sort" help? It's there in Winders. "sort /?"
New its there but I need to remember how to do loops in
BAT files. If the date was circa 1994 I would just copy con a batch file. My brain however has long since purged such stuff to 3rd tier storage (way deep in the colon somewhere) will plink with it tho
New Here...
http://www.robvander...om/batchfiles.php

Effectively you are in NT:

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/ntfor.php
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Now you know...
why I won't use Windows. It is not a complete Operating System.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New The sort of thing I'd use Emacs for
Pull up a dired with the files and write a keyboard macro to build a CSV from the list.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New no emacs
New Its downloadable
and install-able easily. Why force yourself to use a partially existing OS. They'd probably buy you a $400 package to automate it...

EMACS is free even for Windows 95/98/ME/NT/XP/Vista/7 and maybe works in 8 also.

all of 46 MB. And your task would be orders of magnitudes easier.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New He can't download anything...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New download it at home
bring to the office on a USB stick?

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
New Not worth the risk.
There must be ways to do what he needs with the tools available. There's no sense in him making waves and rebelling against the company policy given the circumstances - especially when he's so new there.

E.g. http://technet.micro...ary/bb491004.aspx

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New NSA DOD rules in place
New How does the filename convert to the cell reference?
New file name references a spec
I think it may be easier to rewrite the redhat script and include it in the output there.
New Small files fitting in a spreadsheet?
Do you HAVE to do it or can you toss it off?
Give me a spec and send them to me.
New better, added statement to bash script to include
an echo of the variable I need in the file. So I get my new 500+ files
for %f in (*.txt) do type "%f" >> new.txt
cats all 500+ files into one file
use notebook++ search and replace to remove all of the line feeds to have just one long line use search and replace to add a linefeed just in front of the unique variable name and voila, a single column that I needed for excel. Now off to learn excel merging
New Excel VBA
Could have used VBA to pull in the file contents.
New Re: Excel VBA, couldn't remember any :-)
New F1, or record the macro, or use a fancy pants
text import.

I use an unholy combination of C#, Python, Excel and sed to munge data around (don't ask, it's one of those things where the progenitor of the thing that makes the report files did that thing where the output looks pretty on screen but is actually about as machine-readable as a punch in the face) these days.
     up an odious creek sans paddle - (boxley) - (20)
         Sounds like an ideal application for Python. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             cannot use external software - (boxley) - (4)
                 Will "sort" help? It's there in Winders. "sort /?" -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     its there but I need to remember how to do loops in - (boxley) - (1)
                         Here... - (folkert)
                 Now you know... - (folkert)
         The sort of thing I'd use Emacs for - (malraux) - (6)
             no emacs -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                 Its downloadable - (folkert) - (4)
                     He can't download anything... -NT - (malraux) - (2)
                         download it at home - (lincoln) - (1)
                             Not worth the risk. - (Another Scott)
                     NSA DOD rules in place -NT - (boxley)
         How does the filename convert to the cell reference? -NT - (scoenye) - (1)
             file name references a spec - (boxley)
         Small files fitting in a spreadsheet? - (crazy)
         better, added statement to bash script to include - (boxley) - (3)
             Excel VBA - (altmann) - (2)
                 Re: Excel VBA, couldn't remember any :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     F1, or record the macro, or use a fancy pants - (pwhysall)

...and the President was unfortunately subjected to public opinion.
137 ms