IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not unless it's spectacularly cheap
New it is compared to other tablets
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New I think Jake thought it was a great bargain.
Search around in here for his comments.

Cheers,
Scott.
New thats what started the conversation.
he said wait for the new one. The new one isnt happening so wondering if the existing one is useful at $129
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New There are a lot of complaints at Amazon about it.
Apparently there are/were issues with it being unable to charge when the battery got to 0% and/or there are issues with the microUSB connection for charging. See the 1 and 2-start reviews. http://www.amazon.co...eviews/B004UL34EY

I haven't seen anything about SSH. There were some complaints about it working poorly with Citrix.

It's an orphaned product. You're taking a risk unless you know that it will work well for you.

For a little bit more you can get a Nexus 7 that would likely have much better options - http://www.amazon.co...ition=refurbished (~ $180).

HTH a little. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott April 2, 2013, 06:37:13 AM EDT
New Depends what you're going to do with it
Can you do what you want with something cheaper? Or does this have something unique that you really want?

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
New websurf, email and notepad, ssh would be nice
New Get the extra few bucks together, Nexus 7.
New Re: websurf, email and notepad, ssh would be nice
I use it for all of the above, and it works fine. There's a port of putty in the app store, I believe it runs about four bucks. When I'm out and about and have to get into my production systems, it works very well using the wifi connection sharing feature of the iPhone 4 that my company provides me, along with a SIGNIFICANTLY better onscreen keyboard for use with terminals. The price is pretty awesome, and as far as I know, there will in fact be more tablets coming; they actually have the hardware and my folks in that firm tell me that they're waiting to finish backporting BB10 to the tablets to release them.

The downside is that there aren't a great deal of ooh shiny apps in the app store. I'm seriously hoping that changes over the coming year; I really want there to be three or four viable options for mobile computing to prevent situations like the quintupling of OEM windows licence prices that happened after MSFT got control of the desktop.
New thx, sounds good
New I should add
the web browser beats the crap out of safari and dolphin, imho of course. It's very standards compliant; our web apps Just Work on it with no tweaking required. It's also the only mobile browser I've seen that handles the full facebook site with no problems... other than the fact that shit's just tiny on its screen.
New If you can, you might want to wait a bit.
http://www.androidpo...able-around-july/

It seems that no company can keep a secret for very long. With I/O fast approaching, Google and ASUS are in the spotlight again as details creep out about a pending refresh to the Nexus 7. According to Reuters, two undisclosed sources have leaked plans for a likely release date around July with pricing as low as $149. The tipsters also let slip that the revised tablet will be packing an unspecified Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and that Google hopes to ship 6-8 million units before the start of 2014.

Rumors are often wrong, etc., etc.

But if the new ones are going for as little at $149, the old ones will be even cheaper.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
     blackberry playbook worth looking at? -NT - (boxley) - (12)
         Not unless it's spectacularly cheap -NT - (pwhysall) - (11)
             it is compared to other tablets -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                 I think Jake thought it was a great bargain. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     thats what started the conversation. - (boxley) - (1)
                         There are a lot of complaints at Amazon about it. - (Another Scott)
                 Depends what you're going to do with it - (lincoln) - (6)
                     websurf, email and notepad, ssh would be nice -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                         Get the extra few bucks together, Nexus 7. -NT - (pwhysall)
                         Re: websurf, email and notepad, ssh would be nice - (jake123) - (3)
                             thx, sounds good -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                 I should add - (jake123)
                                 If you can, you might want to wait a bit. - (Another Scott)

Give it up for the beast with the plan... the one, the only... B-B-B-B-BOOGIE MAN!!
146 ms