He likes to "geek out on error reporting", using tools like libSegFault and ftrace.

Heh.. Apple--are you Listening? [see below posts from Mine.. surely as critical por moi, if not for spaceflight.]
Loved, too: They found that "100% of software engineers don't like Justin Bieber", and will work quickly to fix the build problem.

I see why you like this guy, and his game-spawning early training appears as related to Real Time Systems as, well: nobody wants to wait ... even 230 mSec
... when they punch the Fire Thermostellar Missile! button on Missile Command
(Even I recall skimming The Mythical Man-Month way-back. Was impressed with the infinite impossibility of 'predicting When the Project will be really-Done'.) YPB

Dunno when I'll get around to perusing the intricacies of Byzantine fault tolerance, but the mere fact that triple-redundancy Does Work [??] is reassuring.
Looks like a hot topic for any Computer 'Science' final exam, if the exam is to demonstrate actual competence to program anything important at all, Next..

I wonder if

Then in 1999, Miguel Castro and Barbara Liskov introduced the "Practical Byzantine Fault Tolerance" (PBFT) algorithm,[5] which provides high-performance Byzantine state machine replication, processing thousands of requests per second with sub-millisecond increases in latency.

the MSL folk use just this method, as described.

Thanks.. interesting read, even for us incompetents who despise Mysteries (but who are too lazy to learn quantum chromodynmaics--then move on to the Next Mystery ad infinitum)
Who has That much time to fill more blocks of neurons?

Ed: Synchronous LRPD strikes, even in this thread it seems :-0