IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Question about app permissions
This came to me while reading the other app thread. Has anyone seen a good summary of why different apps require different permissions, and which ones are reasonable and which ones aren't?

For instance, it makes sense that things like the Facebook app need to communicate with the internet, and write to local storage, and possibly integrate with your contacts. But why does a game need to access my contacts? Oh wait, because that's part of their business model somehow, not part of the game.

One thing that I always see is apps that need to access your phone status. Which has always seemed ridiculous, but now that I'm thinking about it the game would need to pause when I receive an incoming call. So that one isn't so bad, maybe.

Has anyone gone through all the various permissions to figure out what is reasonable for various apps and what is more for the app-maker's benefit?
--

Drew
New Sometimes the app makers point out the oddities.
Keyboard apps point out that the app store warns about one of their permissions - which is central to being to be a replacement keyboard! And I've seen other apps say "Internet access" is just for the ad library.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     Question about app permissions - (drook) - (1)
         Sometimes the app makers point out the oddities. - (static)

We intend to respond to this matter pro-actively.
61 ms