IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Digital Rights? News? HERE!
Self-described crypto-anarchist 3-D prints AR-15 that shoots over 600 rounds on its first day: http://arstechnica.c...-over-600-rounds/

And he's improving the design rapidly.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New is it gpl2 or 3?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Rachel had a segment on it tonight.
http://www.nbcnews.c...51014668#51014668

From the Ars link:

The law student said that anyone with the same type of 3D printer (“SLA resin and P400 ABS on a used Dimension”) could replicate his efforts with “9 to 12 hours” of print time and “$150 to $200” in parts. "We’ve proven that you can build one for $50,” he said, presuming the builder is using lower quality materials. (Dimensions typically sell in the $30,000 range — but Wilson says his results could be duplicated using the less-expensive Ultimaker ($1,500) or Reprap.”

Assuming Defense Distributed’s AR-15 lower costs around $150 to print, it likely won't end up being price-competitive with other, commercially available polymer AR-15 lowers — a few minutes of Google searching turned up options priced at $135 to $170, depending on the manufacturer.

Of course, lots of 3D printing enthusiasts extol the fact that the price of the technology is rapidly falling — as we reported previously, a California company announced a $600 model last year.

People who are worried about the black helicopters aren't going to be making plastic guns in their basements, not for a while anyway. It'll always be cheaper for large manufacturers to make these things. (If the thinking is to appeal to the dead-ender/survivalist types who are worried Obummer's coming after their guns, well I don't think that's much of a real market myself. But who knows.)

And 9-12 hours of print time? That's huge.

http://www.businessw...rinting-gold-rush

A major problem with 3D printing ignored by most is that there’s no Moore’s Law-type mechanics underlying the technology. The physics behind fusing a powder with a laser, or melting plastic and squeezing it through a nozzle, pose severe limitations on the speed at which you can print an object. And once you’ve applied a layer of plastic, the printer must take time to move and adjust a platform supporting the object.

You can add a nozzle or two to speed up the work, but this is a far cry from doubling the amount of transistors on a chip every 18 months, or doubling the storage on a hard drive. There may come a spectacular advance to change these equations, but no one seems to have found any yet. And it seems unlikely that the amount spent on R&D today by the major makers of 3D printers—3D Systems, Stratasys, and Germany’s EOS—will be enough to turn up an unexpected, exponential price-per-performance booster.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Digital Rights? News? HERE! - (mvitale) - (2)
         is it gpl2 or 3? -NT - (boxley)
         Rachel had a segment on it tonight. - (Another Scott)

Why is that so damned familiar?
49 ms