IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Heard same on Tampa NPR last night
(Since I'm here in Tampa for teaching a class today...)

The radio station mentioned something about the recent death of his mother being somehow involved in his decision to change his mind.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Color me cynical.
http://www.miamihera...r-of-fla-gov.html - His mother died on November 13, 2012 after being in the hospital for a month.

That caused him to decide, in mid-February, to allow Medicaid expansion? I don't think so.

He was already starting to shift his position on the ACA last September - http://thinkprogress...-funds/?mobile=nc It continued after the election.

But I think the important part of the story is what he got out of it - the approved expansion of privatized Medicare Medicaid - http://www.tampabay....caid-deal/1275937

His endorsement of the expansion came hours after the federal government agreed to grant Florida a conditional waiver to privatize Medicaid statewide for the state's more than 3 million current recipients, more than half of which are children or people under age 21.

Scott and GOP lawmakers have repeatedly warned that Medicaid's roughly $21 billion annual costs were consuming Florida's budget and proposed the managed care plan to save money and improve care.

The privatization expands on a five-county pilot program that has been rife with problems. Critics worry for-profit providers are scrimping on patient care and denying medical services to increase profits. Some doctors have dropped out of the pilot program, complaining of red tape and that the insurers deny the tests and medicine they prescribe. Patients have complained they struggled to get doctor's appointments.

Several health plans also dropped out of the pilot program, saying they couldn't make enough money. Patients complained they were bounced from plan to plan with lapses in care. Nearly half of the 200,000 patients enrolled in the pilot have been dropped from at least one plan, federal health officials noted at one point during negotiations.

Lawmakers say they have fixed the pilot program's shortcomings, with provisions including increased oversight and more stringent penalties, including fining providers up to $500,000 if they drop out. The measures also increase doctors' reimbursement rates and limit malpractice lawsuits for Medicaid patients in hopes of increasing doctor participation in the program.

FWIW.

[edit:] As indicated. Grr.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Feb. 21, 2013, 10:48:50 AM EST
New Well, DUH!
Emphasis Mine
Some doctors have dropped out of the pilot program, complaining of red tape and that the insurers deny the tests and medicine they prescribe.

How the hell do these morons *think* private insurance companies make money?
New You, cynical? NEVAR!
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New When the greed/corruption has become so entrenched,
while pervasive Murican gullibility causes much of the vox-pop to imagine that 'private funding' of FOR-PROFIT "medical care":
could possibly compare with all those Other Rich Nations' single-payer plans?!

I submit that this evidence of the State-of-the-Nation is, simply: terminal. We've become inured to Lying!
You cannot 'argue' with those afflicted with various 'Certainties'--in religion + political dogma--because such persons are
pervicacious =="very obstinate, willful, refractory" (per Merriam's not-free dict.)

It seems clear that the, My Grammas/marlowes + Gerrymandered excesses guarantee that KnowNothingism, in Murica: Has Won.

Simply: because words are murdered daily--and hardly anyone cares--debate is dead.
Various gurus, past and present, have described what the result of such a debacle would be:

Confucius was asked what should be done, were it left to him to govern the country.
It would certainly be to correct language, he replied.
His listeners were surprised, "surely", they said, "this has nothing to do with the matter. Why should language be correct?"
The Master's answer was,
If language is not correct, then what is said is not meant; if what is said is not meant, then what ought to be done remains undone;
if this remains undone morals and arts will deteriorate; if morals and arts deteriorate justice will go astray;
if justice goes astray the people will stand about in helpless confusion.
Hence there must be no arbitrariness in what is said. This matters above everything.
     Surprising... - (folkert) - (7)
         Heard same on Tampa NPR last night - (mvitale) - (4)
             Color me cynical. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Well, DUH! - (mmoffitt)
                 You, cynical? NEVAR! -NT - (mvitale)
                 When the greed/corruption has become so entrenched, - (Ashton)
         PK says follow the money... - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Funny how that works... - (folkert)

It’s the extra touches.
90 ms