IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well, that almost took an act of a deity.
This could have gone in FLAME.

Last week I got my fourth Google Nexus 4. My daughters and I have StraightTalk and so far, so good. Far better coverage than Verizon (AT&T network allows us for the first time EVER to talk on our phones from the house), $100.00/month less, all of us have unlimited data plans (with Verizon, 2 of 4 had data plans) and no contract. The stuff we sacrifice (no streaming) is not missed at all since all of us are hooked up to WiFi almost all of the time. But, back to the story.

So, I get the Nexus 4 to replace my wife's phone and finally get rid of the thieves at Verizon and guess what? Straight Talk has no more microSIM's available and according to their support, "Check back in a couple of weeks". JEEBUS! They've taken Google's approach to running out of stock! Fortunately, I see that Walmart online is selling them. You have to sign for these things and since I live 45 miles from work, I order it with a shipping address of my office. Shortly after I get the email saying, "Thanks for your order" I get another email saying the order has been cancelled by Walmart due to a problem in payment processing. Now, this happened with the Google Play store with the first credit card I used, so I check online and NOPE. It wasn't blocked by the credit card company. So, I order it again using another credit card. Same result. But this time the credit card transactions show an approved purchase followed some minutes later with a credit issued from Walmart. I contact Walmart. "There's something that doesn't match between the information you entered and the information your credit card company has" is what I'm told. I scrupulously look and notice that my credit card online account lacks my middle initial. The credit card in my hand has my middle initial. I wonder if that's it. So, process it without the middle initial. No sale. Same thing happened. I order/cancel, order/cancel about a half dozen times. I keep asking Walmart support why they are cancelling this order. In the midst of all this, the transactions "look suspicious" to the credit card company so they freeze my credit card. That's a 45 minute phone call to resolve. I get another email from Walmart asking for the order number, my address, a description of the item, etc. I point out that all of that information is included in the original email, but repeat it for them. They reply that they know how frustrating this is and one of their senior people will reach out and tell me exactly what doesn't match. Then, I get a "Your Order Has Shipped" email from Walmart. It is one of the order iterations - the SOLE iteration that has the shipping address as my home address and the address that matches the billing address.

This sucks because I've got to take one of my very limited vacation days so that I can be home to sign for the damned thing. Hopefully, I'll have the microSIM Friday and can get rid of the bandits at Verizon once and for all.

I thought my experience ordering Nexus 4 phones from Google was horrible. But this is a very close second. So close, in fact, that it's a photo finish.
New How are things now?
I've never had a GSM phone. I have seen people talking about a "SIM cutter" to make a mini-SIM small enough to fit in a Nexus 4 and the like. Was that an option, or was there additional issues in getting a ST card for it?

Are you still happy with Straight Talk/AT&T?

I'm getting close to ordering a Nexus 4. I'll probably decide tomorrow...

Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Bah. This stuff is ridiculous.
It's still impossible to get a Straight Talk AT&T SIM online unless you get it on eBay for $3-4x the face value cost.

While there's speculation out there that it's a due to a problem with the SIM design, or AT&T is losing money from people who bought locked phones but then used a ST SIM, or ..., it seems that something else is going on.

ST is part of the same company that owns Net10. Net10 says - https://net10data.com/ (which of course is an image so I can't extract the text). Here - http://androidheadli...ited-anymore.html

Many of you out there are using Straight Talk, Net10, or a number of other MVNO’s that operate on AT&T or T-Mobile’s network. Well today we have some interesting information for you. It appears that users on Straight Talk using an AT&T SIM card will no longer have unlimited data as of March 1st. Instead, it’ll be capped at 1.5GB and then throttled down to EDGE or 2G speeds. But we kinda knew AT&T would do this since Straight Talk’s market share is going through the roof. Especially with the Nexus 4 being so cheap unlocked. Straight Talk has been taking customers away from AT&T’s prepaid GoPhone service.

Now this doesn’t affect T-Mobile SIM cards for Straight Talk, just AT&T ones. Here’s the full statement from Net10 as well as Tracfone. Tracfone owns Straight Talk and Net10.

[...]

So, it looks like I have to go with T-Mobile for the Nexus4 if I want reasonable data access unless I go directly with AT&T. T claims I have "Good" coverage outside my home, which probably means 3G when conditions are optimum. Bah. Their plans are $60/month for up to 2.5 GB 4G, $70/month for "unlimited" 4G. Or $30/month for 100 minutes with up to 5GB 4G. If J ends up using it a lot, 100 minutes won't be nearly enough.

Our iPad v1 works well enough on 3G inside on AT&T. Their prepaid coverage map also shows "Good" while their standard data plan map shows "Excellent" (which probably means they have 4G planned here but aren't guaranteeing anything).

AT&T's prepaid data/voice plan is $65/mo for 1 GB (presumably plus taxes). Extra GBs are $50 each?!? ($0.05/MB * 1000 MB/GB = $50.). Zooks! Their "Mobile Share" plan with 4 GB of data per month is $110 for 1 phone or $150 for 2 phones (plus taxes and fees).

This is insane. But it looks like the AT&T MVNOs are being killed off - I wouldn't be surprised if the others end up in the same boatt.

Gotta keep pondering what to do... :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'm still on Verizon...
I had 4 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phones and 1 - Motorola Razr (something very new)

My Oldest Daughter somehow during a bought of "bad phones" (no they weren't, she was amazingly using the phone *WRONG*.... I dunno how), during that she ended up with a new Motorola Razr also.

We have 6GB of data a month, with Wifi all over, the 6GB handles us readily. We've only once gotten past 4GB. 2GB chunks are $10 ($0.005/MB). We also have 2100 minutes shared across all phones (for "non-Verzion" phone calls in or out and free 9PM-6AM anyway and free weekends and "Federal" Holidays), with automagically purchased 500 minutes additional alacarte per month for $10 (2 cents a minute), we've never gotten close. Unlimited texts. We can have up to 10 devices... I have a separate dongle that costs a lot... and if added to our device plan, would reduce our bill by about $70/month... but work wants it separate.

Plus we have some other features... the kids wanted.

Also, all the Nexus are now on 4.2.2 of Android... its really very good and batteries are lasting about 30-40% longer and things seem to use less memory. Average 340MB Free with a pid killer/scrubber and 4.2.2 vs that with 4.1.1 at about 250MB Free.

I guess AS, it is a matter of Putting the peg in the wall and riding it down... if you forever mull, you will forever mull.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New You've got me confused.
As I understand it, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon is a CDMA/LTE/GSM phone. The CDMA/LTE only works on Verizon; the GSM only works outside the US (as I understand it). I vaguely recall that Verizon had it locked for a while so that you could only use their network overseas with it (not simply pop in a local GSM SIM). I don't know if they unlocked it - I'm sure they didn't do it unless they had to.

The (LG) Nexus 4 is GSM only. The Nexus 4 isn't an option on Verizon.

While J has Verizon, I want to avoid it because I really don't like the company and I want to be able to use local SIMs when we travel overseas. I've still got Sprint, but don't think we'll see LTE from Sprint in this neck of the woods in the next 5 years or more, and it has the same non-GSM issues as Verizon...

Yeah, hemming and hawing is a fault of mine, but it's cheaper than buying something that I don't fully understand. Beats reading and posting about stupid politics, doesn't it? ;-)

I'm mainly worried about data usage on the road - I understand Google Maps and Navigation can eat up a lot of data... If we're off the road then WiFi is likely to be available.

I'm leaning toward the $30/mo T-mobile 100min+data plan. Even if it doesn't work very well here at home, we can always download off-line maps for it, and we'll have a GSM phone that we can use traveling in Europe and elsewhere. But I'm still on the fence, though leaning now.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New For some reason...
The CDMA/LTE on these phones are not Verzion only. From what I understand all the phones *can do* any CDMA/LTE... just that Verizon had them locked out on the other frequencies...

With the update to 4.1.1.something and now to 4.2.2, that is not the case anymore.

I'll try to find where I saw it and my wife confirmed it with Verizon as she was possibly going Europe with my Mom and Dad.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Jumped.
$10 microSIM + tax purchased from http://prepaid-phone...om/phone-sim-card , will sign up for the $30/mo plan here: http://prepaid-phone...com/prepaid-plans

Nexus 4 16GB for $349 + tax, shipping from the Play Store - https://play.google....s?id=nexus_4_16gb

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well good enough then.
I guess all you needed was a nudge.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New We are all *quite* pleased so far.
Honestly, except for occasional Navigation, I don't use data on my account very often. I'm away from WiFi for about 2hours a day (have it at work, at home and at the airport and those three places are typically the only places I spend any time ;0).

Absolutely no complaints so far from anyone. Mine is paid for until next January and everyone else is renewing monthly. Damned nice to have one less bill coming in each month and since it's a fixed amount each month, budgeting is greatly simplified. In all honesty, I have noticed that I'm on the EDGE network more frequently than I'd expected initially, but that's to be expected given where I live - two weeks from anywhere. The fact that I don't drop calls 3 times on the way home (which I did 100% of the time on Verizon - I know where the dead zones are and two of them are on the 4 lane highway between Fort Wayne and Kendallville, IN) is greatly appreciated.

I'm pleased I switched. I don't think I'll ever be a "contract customer" again.
New Thanks.
New It all makes sense, well most of it, relax
#1. The contact information was slightly off.

#2. Anonymous phones are a very scary thing to LEO. The phone company is not allowed to sell them to anyone who raises any flags with ID, delivery, etc. It is especially a red flag when expensive items are shipped to the non-home address.

#3. Repeated failures during processing is a red flag for the CC company. It is a good thing they double checked. Someone bought a phone in Canada with my daughter's card. They called her in the middle of the transaction to stop it. I know it is still their responsibility, and therefor the inconvenience is borne by you, but the alternative would be NO CC transactions if we accepted just how bad the security on them is.
     Well, that almost took an act of a deity. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
         How are things now? - (Another Scott) - (8)
             Bah. This stuff is ridiculous. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 I'm still on Verizon... - (folkert) - (2)
                     You've got me confused. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         For some reason... - (folkert)
                 Jumped. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Well good enough then. - (folkert)
             We are all *quite* pleased so far. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         It all makes sense, well most of it, relax - (crazy)

EGM: Who's that chick Mario is rescuing up there?
Brian: It's Princess Peach.
Kirk: It's a hooker.
Niko: She looks cut in half.
Tim: Oh wow... she's one of those pole dancers.
106 ms