IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not sure why this is a big deal
If you want an unlocked phone, buy one. If you want a much cheaper phone, you're locked into a 2 year contract. One pays for the other.

Locked phones are significantly cheaper for a reason and you get what you pay for. This is more of yet another "I want everything free or cheap dammit!" than any kind of real buggaboo.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New DMCA for unlocking your phone?
5 years in federal pound me in the ass prison, top whack?

Can't use your phone on holiday, legally, without getting bummed to death for roaming?

There are lots of reasons that this turn of events is properly fucked in the head.

New like he said, you want an unlocked, pay for one
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Re: like he said, you want an unlocked, pay for one
You bought the phone; whether you unlock it or not, the contract still stands.

It's your phone, and apparently you're totally good with it being completely illegal to unlock it to use it as you see fit.

This is, unsurprisingly, in stark contrast with the whole rest of the world.

In other news, the IOS OSK is a pile of arse.
New Alternatively:
If you buy an unlocked phone, it's your phone.

If you get a phone with a contract, you're leasing it for 2 years, and there's an option to own it outright at the end of the contract.
Regards,
-scott
New Eh?
You get an iPhone on contract with the SucksBallsComm carrier.

You decide the terms suck.

Six months in, you cough up the ETF and think "eh, I'll get a plan with DonkeyWangTel; i've lost some money, but this is a sweet phone, and DonkeyWangTel have some lucious plans".

Only you can't, because SucksBallsComm (despite you coughing up the ETF) has gone "lol, no" when you asked for the unlock, and it's FPMITAP illegal to do it yourself.

That's where you're at.

Also, I don't think it's a lease, but hey ho.
New Similar to a lease
If you don't like the terms, don't sign up for a 2 year contract. It's that simple.
Regards,
-scott
New But really...
that has nothing to do with unlocking the phone though.

Let us look at a lease of a car... Sure you don't own it, but you are effectively the 100% caretaker of it and financial responsibility for it.

If you don't change the oil in it for 2 years... or run the tires down to the cords... Or never clean out the yuck from the kids... Wait, you just turn it in after 2 years.

With a phone, once the contract ends... its a "rent to own" type of thing... so you are supposedly the owner. If you pay the Early Termination Fee... what the flip do they care anymore.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Re: But really...
http://www.att.com/e...#fbid=Ke5R9HazASM

All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied.

That includes getting out of the contract early by paying the ETF:

http://appleinsider....their_iphone.html

So again, if you don't like the terms, don't take the contract.
Regards,
-scott
New It's got nothing to do with the contract terms
And everything to do with the fact that if you end up with a locked phone that's 100% yours, you have no legal recourse to unlock it if the carrier that locked it goes "lol, no" when you say "I'm out of contract, please unlock my phone". Or, more likely, they go "sure! We can unlock your phone, for just $100 and a three-week wait!"

If you go "you're not the boss of me!", and head out into the wilds of Internet land to unlock your own god fucking dammit phone , you're totes in contravention of the DMCA and eligible for an all-expenses-paid holiday with Club Fed.

And that's just not very star-spangled or apple-pie-ish or gun-totingly free now, is it?

(Did I mention that the iOS OSK sucks donkey dong?)

Jtfc, Scott, you've got me and Greg in agreement here. Do you need more convincing?
Expand Edited by pwhysall Jan. 28, 2013, 09:06:04 PM EST
New Things are different over here.
We've got several incompatible network technologies. Even if you can get your phone unlocked, it doesn't matter. If you want to use it, you probably have to use it with the system that branded it in the first place.

It's not a big deal.

Now if GSM phones were locked this way, you'd be right to be outraged.

Nobody says you can't use the phone you "bought". Even if it's locked. You can play Angry Birds (or whatever) to your heart's content. ;-) It's just that you can't use it on their network unless you satisfy their terms. It's not about the thing you carry in your pocket - its about access to their network.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Come, now.
All this talk of "incompatible network technologies" is just handwaving away the fact that it's now totes fine for the network to make it unpalatable or if they want downright impossible for you to legally unlock the phone.

The phone, ah yes, the phone. Let's pretend that you sign up for a two year plan, diligently paying every dime of every payment. Two long, long years elapses and the SuperGizmoTron 5000 GTI Maxx that was so shiny is now long since rendered comical, the vendor having lost interest in OS updates about six months into your contract. But you stuck it out, and here you are, two years later, free, free as air.

That phone in your hand? Your phone, that you just got done paying for?

NOT YOURS.

It's not about "access to the network", because if it were, unlocked phones wouldn't work, and of course they do.

This law is bullshit legislation, and you should not be fine with it, even if you never unlock a phone in your life.
New I don't understand why you're so upset about this.
People aren't going to be thrown in prison for unlocking their phones. Even if the DMCA says they might be.

http://www.androidpo...hing-of-the-past/

Can I Unlock My Cellphone To Use It On Another Carrier?

Only if you buy the phone before January 26th, 2013. The exemption is going away for the next three years. The only caveat is that you have 90 days after the implementation of the new laws (which occurs on October 28th) to buy a phone and unlock it against the carrier's wishes. After that, and until 2015 at least, you'll need their approval. This actually ends a previous exemption that did allow the process. So, what happened?

Well, according to the Librarian, since the last round of exemptions, "case law has evolved." In fact, it didn't take too long. The last recommendation was released in July of 2010. In September of the same year, the case of Vernor v. Autodesk was successfully appealed. The new ruling stated that when you purchase a piece of software, you are merely licensing it and don't necessarily own the copy. This has a major implication for the first-sale doctrine. When you purchase a physical good, you are legally allowed to resell it (hence craigslist). If you purchase a license for a piece of software, however, you are not necessarily allowed to hawk your old wares. This mainly targets people who buy software in bulk and flip it for a profit, but the implications can undermine the claim that unlocking a phone qualifies as fair use.

That's not all though. The Register also argued that it may not even be necessary to allow users to unlock their phones:

The Register further concluded that the record before her supported a finding that, with respect to new wireless handsets, there are ample alternatives to circumvention. That is, the marketplace has evolved such that there is now a wide array of unlocked phone options available to consumers. While it is true that not every wireless device is available unlocked, and wireless carriers’ unlocking polices are not free from all restrictions, the record clearly demonstrates that there is a wide range of alternatives from which consumers may choose in order to obtain an unlocked wireless phone. Thus, the Register determined that with respect to newly purchased phones, proponents had not satisfied their burden of showing adverse effects related to a technological protection measure.

In short, if you want an unlocked phone, you can buy one now [October 26, 2012]. You don't need to break the law in order to accomplish this. Unfortunately for us, this does matter. Part of the reason for these exemptions is to allow for things that aid consumer choice and innovation. If said choice already exists (in some form), the argument can be (and in this case was) made that the exemption is not necessary.

[...]

Unlocked phones, though, will be the big problem. Since carriers now have a bit more control over what's allowed on their network, they may try and enforce it more strictly. This doesn't affect already-unlocked devices, of course. If you buy a Galaxy Nexus on the Play Store and it's able to run on the network, you shouldn't have a problem. However, AT&T has no requirement to help you use your brand new GS3 on T-Mobile. Similar to root tools, this might also make it easier for carriers to pursue legal action against people who create software to unlock phones.

There is one exception, though:

The Register concluded after a review of the statutory factors that an exemption to the prohibition on circumvention of mobile phone computer programs to permit users to unlock “legacy” phones is both warranted and unlikely to harm the market for such programs. At the same time, in light of carriers’ current unlocking policies and the ready availability of new unlocked phones in the marketplace, the record did not support an exemption for newly 21 purchased phones.

If you happen to have an older or "legacy" phone that is unlikely to receive an unlock code from the carriers, exemptions will be made that allow you to circumvent the software on those devices. It's a small saving grace, but a welcome one for the second-hand phone market.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.

New I'm not upset. I'm annoyed
Because this is just the kind of idiotic legislation with chilling effects that has a habit of crossing the pond.

And anyway, whether I'm upset or not is immaterial.

This law does nothing for you, but does plenty for the poor beleaguered carriers.

It just makes it easier for them to screw you.
New Argue with the consequences, sure.
But I can't really argue with the business model.
Regards,
-scott
     Attn: Merkins! Tonight ends the tyranny of unlocked phones! - (pwhysall) - (19)
         DAFUQ!?!? -NT - (drook)
         Meh. - (Another Scott)
         so you unlock a verizon phone, your choices is sprint :-) -NT - (boxley)
         Not sure why this is a big deal - (malraux) - (14)
             DMCA for unlocking your phone? - (pwhysall) - (13)
                 like he said, you want an unlocked, pay for one -NT - (boxley) - (11)
                     Re: like he said, you want an unlocked, pay for one - (pwhysall) - (10)
                         Alternatively: - (malraux) - (9)
                             Eh? - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                 Similar to a lease - (malraux) - (7)
                                     But really... - (folkert) - (1)
                                         Re: But really... - (malraux)
                                     It's got nothing to do with the contract terms - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                         Things are different over here. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                             Come, now. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 I don't understand why you're so upset about this. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     I'm not upset. I'm annoyed - (pwhysall)
                 Argue with the consequences, sure. - (malraux)
         Petition at White House to repeal the rule. - (Another Scott)

I know kung fu.
170 ms