Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Better, design the future of computing: it's analog ;^>
[I tol ya so.. Waaay-back.]
http://www.wired.com...campaign=Previous

Darpa Has Seen the Future of Computing … And It’s Analog
BY ROBERT MCMILLAN 08.22.12

By definition, a computer is a machine that processes and stores data as ones and zeroes. But the U.S. Department of Defense wants to tear up that definition and start from scratch.

Through its Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa), the DoD is funding a new program called UPSIDE, short for Unconventional Processing of Signals for Intelligent Data Exploitation. Basically, the program will investigate a brand-new way of doing computing without the digital processors that have come to define computing as we know it.

The aim is to build computer chips that are a whole lot more power-efficient than today’s processors — even if they make mistakes every now and then.

The way Darpa sees it, today’s computers — especially those used by mobile spy cameras in drones and helicopters that have to do a lot of image processing — are starting to hit a dead end. The problem isn’t processing. It’s power, says Daniel Hammerstrom, the Darpa program manager behind UPSIDE. And it’s been brewing for more than a decade.

“One of the things that’s happened in the last 10 to 15 years is that power-scaling has stopped,” he says. Moore’s law — the maxim that processing power will double every 18 months or so — continues, but battery lives just haven’t kept up. “The efficiency of computation is not increasing very rapidly,” he says.

[. . .]

Law above fear, justice above law, mercy above justice, love above all.
New Everything goes in cycles.
When I started grad school in Cincy, there was an old analog computer that took up 3-4 racks in the VAX room. I heard some mumblings of what it was good for, but never saw anyone use it. The profs who did IC design work always spoke very respectfully of the analog IC designers out in industry - they were doing so much more interesting work than those combining masses of flip-flops into ever larger circuits.... ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Automatic gearboxs are analog computers.
And many of them are very reliable, too.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Great design tools for electrostatic lenses..
I recall seeing a (rather huge and elaborate) HeathKit! Analog Computer which I hadn't heard of previously:
used in electrode designs for ion sources. With obvious success.

It would seem that, as with so much of homo-sap's herd-instinct--yet another baby was thrown out as the bathwater--defined next:
the swimming pool in which All must toil in future, because:

Digital was so kewl, surely it must be The Technique for All problem solving, exclusively
--or, you're fired Mr. Tesla!
--and take those silly big coils with you! on your way out..

But I digress...
     Design amphibious tank for DARPA, win $1M - (Another Scott) - (5)
         3D Printing at its finest. -NT - (folkert)
         Better, design the future of computing: it's analog ;^> - (Ashton) - (3)
             Everything goes in cycles. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Automatic gearboxs are analog computers. - (static)
                 Great design tools for electrostatic lenses.. - (Ashton)

"Professor, how do I know that I exist?"

"And who is asking?"
134 ms