IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yabut my mentation always locks-up when trying to visualize
HOW ... the fuck an orderly worldwide replacement of their egregious cruft COULD HAPPEN!
This, given: [correct me if I am wrong in this assumption, because 'I am unanimous in this']

This given that: the educational-level, especially re any HARD-'science', of most MBAs, is below the competence of any HS student (from a functioning school) when I was a tad.
CIEIOs simply, are not competent to judge the seriousness of continuing down the M$$ path forever,
--to measure their Redmond-immersed staff and the prospect of systematically replacing? upgrading? their ken,
--to ponder the various levels of technology comprehension requisite -in Any next- to secure their core systems!
--and lots more which anyone here can add, beyond just these er, 'issues'. Because you Live the absurdities every day.

So.. HOW COULD the world rid itself of this insufferable M$-Virus ... in any orderly, comprehensible and clearly achievable process?

New My picture is the following...
So.. HOW COULD the world rid itself of this insufferable M$-Virus ... in any orderly, comprehensible and clearly achievable process?

IBM showed how it's done. If the hardware is designed properly, you can swap out the OS, or the hardware under the OS, without issues.

VMWare showed us how to run different OSes on PC hardware simultaneously. VirtualBox showed that you can do the same thing for free. (MS's Win7 requires a VM to run lots of Win32 software now ("XP mode").)

MS opened up lots of their file formats, eventually; but still had proprietary bits underneath to prevent others having 100% file-format compatibility.

These folks know how to make it easy on their customers to keep working with their data as the hardware and OS changes, if they really want to do that.

MS could get rid of lots of their zero-day vulnerabilities as a result of carrying around all the DOS and WinNT baggage. They could have an open API on a modern kernel if they want. But instead they want to maintain their Office and Server API monopolies, and keep locking everyone into Winders, and in the process have built such a huge, fragile edifice that they can't come up with a compelling tablet solution. They keep designing their new OSes to require faster and more expensive hardware to force upgrades. Not because their OS makes things better for users, but because they get so much money from the PC OEMs. Their monopolistic practices, and lack of backward compatibility between WinPhone versions, have doomed their hope of having a meaningful fraction of the phone OS space (among other things).

Imagine trying to run Windows on Raspberry Pi... (I just got an e-mail that Brian has ported File Commander/L to RPi - http://silk.apana.or...2development.html (scroll down).)

What are big companies going to do? I assume tablets are going to be more and more important, so lots of stuff is going to be in the Cloud. It eases backup concerns, and networks are fast enough that people don't need TB Office Suites sitting on a hard drive any more. (Yes, the cloud will always have reliability issues; but one can store a lot of stuff on 64 GB flash memory tablets between syncing...) Stuff on the Cloud needs VMs and databases. They don't need MS Office - other office suites are often "good enough". Given that assumption, I assume that MS Office and the like will be run in VMs if it's needed. Presumably MS will try to make that expensive, but customers will have a lot more leverage on pricing than they have in the past...

It's not hopeless, but it is frustrating that it has taken 20+ years to get to this point...

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Greg... is that you?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Couldn't be.
Much to eloquent! :)

Just pulling your chain.
Alex
New That mark...
isn't to far from the truth.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New New APIs.
Microsoft tried moving everyone to a brand new API. It was called OS/2.

Faced with cool developer responses, they chose to enhance the existing Windows API instead and the rest is history. The kind of history they really don't want to repeat.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Yeah right
Simplify years of corporate political fighting to that statement.

"Programmer's didn't want to code to it so we gave them what they wanted."

You remember those days? I do.
New I simplified it a bit. :-)
Okay, a lot.

At the time, MS believed it's own propaganda that developers didn't want to shift to an entirely new API. That I do remember.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Yeah, but you repeated the propaganda
That's ok, those days are over.
New Yes and no.
I get your point, but Win32 was different from Win16 too.

There were lots of reasons why MS Windows won and MS/IBM OS/2 lost on the desktop: The price of developers tools; the preloaded mass-market vs. the expensive corporate market; drivers; MS's desire to screw IBM and take it all; differences in the desktop location of 0,0 (top left vs bottom left) on the screen, etc.; ISVs not seeing a reason to port to OS/2 2.0 except via the "Mirrors" translation DLL; slow hardware of the time; etc.

These were all solvable problems, given time and a desire.

After all, it took MS over a decade to fully transition the market from 16-bit to 32-bit Windows.

Apple has been changing OS X under the hood (Carbon to Cocoa, 32-bit to 64-bit, dropping the PowerPC code, adding iOS stuff, etc.) and they're bringing their developers along. They showed that you can do it right - you can transition between processor generations, improve the OS, and keep your customers reasonably happy, and have a thriving market in the process. (Of course, they also have no qualms about squashing developers in the process, but that's a different issue.)

My $0.02.

Cheers,
scott.
     Era of the new PC is over for me - (crazy) - (14)
         MS has killed their golden egg. - (Another Scott) - (10)
             Yabut my mentation always locks-up when trying to visualize - (Ashton) - (9)
                 My picture is the following... - (Another Scott) - (8)
                     Greg... is that you? -NT - (folkert) - (2)
                         Couldn't be. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             That mark... - (folkert)
                     New APIs. - (static) - (4)
                         Yeah right - (crazy) - (2)
                             I simplified it a bit. :-) - (static) - (1)
                                 Yeah, but you repeated the propaganda - (crazy)
                         Yes and no. - (Another Scott)
         Not quite for me - (malraux) - (2)
             As expected - (crazy) - (1)
                 Except that I don't need bleeding edge any more. - (malraux)

Bad hair often requires a good hat.
52 ms