IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Huge exploit on the way
From Ben Tilly on G+:

http://news.ycombina...m/item?id=5035023

Expect a point-and-click exploit that will run arbitrary code on vulnerable servers.
If you've never dealt with a problem like this, you may not be ready. So, here's the most important thing you need to understand:
If you have a vulnerable application anywhere, on any port it will be found and compromised. This is a spray-and-pray vulnerability. It costs attackers nothing to try, attempts don't crash servers, and so people will try everywhere.
If you lose an application in your data center / hosting environment, that's the ballgame. It doesn't matter that the app you lost was the testing instance of a status dashboard with no real data in it, because the exploit coughs up shell access on that server. If there is one thing every black-hat attacker in the world is truly gifted at, it is pivoting from shell access on one server to shell access on every goddam server.
Please make sure you didn't just patch the app servers you know/care about. THEY ALL NEED TO BE PATCHED OR RETIRED.
Additionally:
* If you are one of those "same password on a whole bunch of services people", now is a good time to make sure nothing you care about has that password. Some app somewhere is about to lose that password.
* Now would not be the worst time in the world to go to your Twitter config, hit Settings -> Apps, and scrub out all the stuff you don't use.
* Now you know why you never give 3rd party web apps your Gmail password.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
Expand Edited by malraux Jan. 10, 2013, 09:55:07 AM EST
New This is only for (Ruby on) Rails, right? Thanks.
New Well, yes but...
Sites that run on Rails are going to get hacked in record numbers over the next few days. If you're using a site that runs on Rails (and there's no easy way to tell) then your password will probably get stolen. If you've reused that password on multiple sites with the same user ID (likely an email address) then that login will be vulnerable.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Fascinating!
It wasn't too hard to get the gist of the matter (that this Ruby-thing is ubiquitous and that a nasty-Baddie has created a snooping monster
--which will scatter-gun jillions of nodes. Soon. UGLY. Portentous. Fascinating for those of us Not responsible for any network.
Of course, this level is waay beyond my ken, but this link (from replies) gives a You Tube demo of Cobalt Strike (a mere $2500--apparently cheap for those who Need it)

Its author: (He designed open-source Armitage; info in replies on this You Tube page)
http://www.youtube.c...ded&v=S_ejYRTM8J0

Raphael Mudge 5 months ago

Cobalt Strike is a commercial tool. If you'd like something free, Armitage is the open source version of Cobalt Strike. As for release outside of the United States... it's coming. Cobalt Strike is penetration testing software and there are specific things I am required to do before I can legally export it. Once these things are complete and my export control program is sound, Cobalt Strike will be available in many other countries (not all though).

Anyway, better than a NYTimes Crossword for this tyro.. then there's the ominous ... think Jaws ... accompanying audio!
Seems a boggling set of automated aps, scary to imagine script-kiddies so amplifying their capabilities via just *this* program,
and clearly: a hint of the future sort of Hell a Sys Admin must now be prepared to Duel-in. :-/

Cobalt Strike adds tools to generate social engineering packages, host web drive-by attacks, spear phishing attacks, and reporting to what Armitage already does. This is just the first release though. There is a very exciting roadmap behind this product, stay tuned. :)

The use of "low-level 'tool'-employees" for 'social engineering' exploits is now a mere Item in a Menu!
Jeez.. even as a suspenseful tale unfolding, this video beats Hollywood's made-up screenies by a kilometer!
Noting how The Beast's mshtml vulnerabilities are a mere menu-item, among many.. why the program is a veritable Symphony
... being played by the user--like an audio patchboard/console, probably with pauses built in .. .. .. so as not to tip hand! being played.

A pop-up message in demo:

Pass the Hash
Use captured password hashes to attack those pesky patched systems

At my level of comprehension (grokking somewhat the various actions occurring with such fluidity)--it's a scary reminder that probably,
ere long, the entire Intarweb shall have to be redesigned with reinforced code-concrete + user authentication --via quite more than a PW.
(And the longer all those multi-$B doze "Servers" with their (n+1) not-yet-found buffer problems, remain in service by pitiful Corps?
Won't that clinch both the formal-Death of Ballmer's Boys AND force this redesign?)
Seems anti-possible that all that Doze stuff could be replaced in << a generation,
but ya never Know.

And the Pols won't comprehend the magnitude/the intricacy/the WORK, that will underlay any such Redesign, thus refuse to fund that until ... ...
[think: the prevailing attitude of Unconcern today re planetary health, Period.]

W.T.F. would want to be the CTO of any major [or minor?] Corp. given this thermo-digital War clearly already afoot??

I wish youse guys, each of you: success re. finding in-time, New alternatives to: FIXING all this STUFF/daily!!

Y.P.B.

Anyway, thanks for the Show and ... ... condolences :-/

New hehehahahaahaha
The shadenfreude is getting stronger.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Schadenfreude

Not against any particular individual or technology, just the house of cards on all of them seems to be coming down, combining various regs such as PCI with overworked underpaid programmers and admins and bosses who want to skate through with as little effort as possible.

F'em.

Yes, tech annoys me more than entertains and educates me nowadays.

Zero day exploits are infinite.

Edit: Shit, I'm becoming Ross!
Expand Edited by crazy Jan. 11, 2013, 09:52:21 AM EST
New Schadenfreude über alles in die welt..
Isn't it?

{{chortle}}

Die! Redmond and all who ride in her.
I mean, If WIndows MErde wasn't enough of a clear warning of the 'talents' of the prepubescent Kiddies caged there..
(even the Solitaire game in that kluge sucks--to me their only, previous Stellar Performer ever [?])
     Huge exploit on the way - (malraux) - (5)
         This is only for (Ruby on) Rails, right? Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Well, yes but... - (malraux)
         Fascinating! - (Ashton)
         hehehahahaahaha - (crazy) - (1)
             Schadenfreude über alles in die welt.. - (Ashton)

TI BASIC READY
49 ms