IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Seeking advice on drilling curved borosilicate glass
So I've got a few flasks that I'd like to drill a hole into.

http://en.wikipedia..../Erlenmeyer_flask

These things are not cheap, so I'd like not to destroy them.

The hole will be about 2/3rds up the side, about 1/4 inch diameter.

Based on a bit of googling it seems I need diamond drill bits of increasing size, to secure it very well on a hard rubber mat, and use a drill press if possible.

I assume I need a spray of water if possible. Should this be a continuous stream, or is that not necessary?

Any suggestions?
New Re: Seeking advice on drilling curved borosilicate glass
That's a fairly big hole in what is likely fairly thin (relative to the size of the hole) glass.

I'd seek professional advice, if I didn't have some sacrificial bits of glass to practice on.
New smoke wrench aka plasma cutter
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Sounds like fun
I remember in high school chem class we played with glass rods and Bunsen burners. Point was to show us that chemists sometimes had to make their own equipment before they could even start their experiments.

It would probably take some practice, but the hole would be nice and smooth.
--

Drew
New Do it under water
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New BSG isn't like normal glass.
Drilling on curved hard surfaces is tough, too. After you're done, you'd want to smooth the edges properly, to reduce cracking, etc.

You probably want a glass-blower to do this. There seem to be several in your area according to Google.

Or you could just visit a head shop...

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Tempered glass - beware
Stresses in that stuff can do strange things. (Didn't someone here post a link to a Prince Rupert's drops clip a short while ago?)

My preference would be to do it in one pass. Even with a drill press, it may be hard to line up the hole exactly because the shape of the glass makes it so hard to secure. The size of the hole is small enough

If you go diamond bit, you will need a continuous water stream or you'll burn up the bit.

Some more info:
http://www.diamond-d...Glass-Stone.shtml
     Seeking advice on drilling curved borosilicate glass - (crazy) - (6)
         Re: Seeking advice on drilling curved borosilicate glass - (pwhysall)
         smoke wrench aka plasma cutter -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Sounds like fun - (drook)
         Do it under water -NT - (Bman)
         BSG isn't like normal glass. - (Another Scott)
         Tempered glass - beware - (scoenye)